Job needed

greengrape Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Both his undergrad and MBA came from low-tier > schools. Definitely part of the problem. You > picked the wrong time to go to poor schools. Even > top tier grads are having a hard time. > > And btw, there’s no way you can “get the CFA” in > 2013, since you have no work experience at all. Agreed. This is definitely the problem.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > While I can’t help you directly, I can offer some > critiques. > > 1) Lose the countdown clock on your home page, it > looks like you’re planning to off yourself if you > can’t get a job. > > 2) Get rid of the “about me” page. Normally these > things are acceptable but yours is in need of an > entire overhaul, so it’s better just to delete it > altogether. Plus, you already covered all the key > points on the home page. Also, don’t introduce > your girlfriend on your career page, or even have > her in a photo. Looks ridiculous. > > 3) Take the phrase “mission trip” off the front > page and replace it with “volunteering trips” or > something like that. Less religious connotation. > > 4) The nature photos in the references section > don’t really fit with anything, they’re > distracting and detract from the feel. At least > if you’re going to put in photos, use stock photos > that fit the overall color scheme and texture. > > 5) Same goes for the contact me, what the f*ck is > a landscape of Narnia doing on your contact page? > I’m kidding, you seem like a nice guy. But change > your photos out for business theme related stock > photographs that fit your color scheme, texture > and overall theme. I kinda think that if I include my gf there, I would look a little more mature. Maybe not

Zesty Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Isn’t Texas a big hub for some of the major oil > companies. Maybe you should look into commodities > trading or project finance positions with one of > these companies. I have tried some oil companies but all of the ones I applied for do not sponsor H1B.

the quickest way to avoid the whole “visa” problem is marriage… just a FYI

nguyenanhvu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- It’s very > difficult for international students to find job, > especially in this economy. I went to school with a lot of international students in my MFin program and we graduated in May. To my knowledge, not a single one of them has been able to get a job due to the fact that literally NOBODY is sponsoring H1Bs right now. There are simply too many recent graduates that are similar enough to you and every other international student that it isn’t worth the hassle and expense for the employer. Take a minute and read this article that ran in the WSJ back in May: http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748704810504576307342275841586-lMyQjAxMTAxMDEwODExNDgyWj.html?mod=wsj_share_email

nguyenanhvu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Black Swan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > While I can’t help you directly, I can offer > some > > critiques. > > > > 1) Lose the countdown clock on your home page, > it > > looks like you’re planning to off yourself if > you > > can’t get a job. > > > > 2) Get rid of the “about me” page. Normally > these > > things are acceptable but yours is in need of > an > > entire overhaul, so it’s better just to delete > it > > altogether. Plus, you already covered all the > key > > points on the home page. Also, don’t introduce > > your girlfriend on your career page, or even > have > > her in a photo. Looks ridiculous. > > > > 3) Take the phrase “mission trip” off the front > > page and replace it with “volunteering trips” > or > > something like that. Less religious > connotation. > > > > 4) The nature photos in the references section > > don’t really fit with anything, they’re > > distracting and detract from the feel. At > least > > if you’re going to put in photos, use stock > photos > > that fit the overall color scheme and texture. > > > > 5) Same goes for the contact me, what the f*ck > is > > a landscape of Narnia doing on your contact > page? > > I’m kidding, you seem like a nice guy. But > change > > your photos out for business theme related > stock > > photographs that fit your color scheme, texture > > and overall theme. > > > I kinda think that if I include my gf there, I > would look a little more mature. Maybe not ??? No. It has the opposite effect.

Applied for over 500 jobs without an interview ??? WOW

:-(…so scared about my life

The guy deserves credit for his efforts, for trying. If he brushes things up a little I think he’d be in better shape. Still it’s really tough out there.

A lot of people get the misconception that passing L1 will instantly open doors to a good finance job. Sadly, this is hardly the case. With the sheer number of candidates out looking for the same awesome jobs, mass finance layoffs, and a ton of experienced people of all levels (junior to senior) looking for a job… passing L1 (it is a good accomplishment and congrats), won’t do anything by itself. It has to be paired with a top degree, some work experience, or something else of value.

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A lot of people get the misconception that passing > L1 will instantly open doors to a good finance > job. Sadly, this is hardly the case. With the > sheer number of candidates out looking for the > same awesome jobs, mass finance layoffs, and a ton > of experienced people of all levels (junior to > senior) looking for a job… > > passing L1 (it is a good accomplishment and > congrats), won’t do anything by itself. It has to > be paired with a top degree, some work experience, > or something else of value. Agree to an extent, but not everyone is looking to land a job at GS or top hedge fund. Also, not everyone has the ability, connections, money or risk appetite to go to a top 10 school and for them the CFA can ‘legitimize’ their lower-tier degree. Everyone has zero work experience at some point, so brush up on ancillary skills and interviewing to get the foot in the door somewhere while you build an industry network and finish off the CFA. But 500 applications?? No way they’re catered to the each employer, so stop sending out mass resumes and actually research who you’re applying to.

Alladin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > :-(…so scared about my life Where are you located?

sundevl21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Agree to an extent, but not everyone is looking to > land a job at GS or top hedge fund. Also, not > everyone has the ability, connections, money or > risk appetite to go to a top 10 school and for > them the CFA can ‘legitimize’ their lower-tier > degree. It doesn’t matter if the “CFA can legitimize a low-tier degree” because there are already a boatload of people that have CFA candidate status AND a good degree. How is legitimizing your low-tier degree with the CFA going to help if the 5 guys next to you are doing the same thing with their mid-top tier degrees?

Yeah, I disagree with the whole, “not everyone’s trying to get into GS” argument. In this day and age, it’s cut throat just to get into a professional career, period.

L3BeatIt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The guy deserves credit for his efforts, for > trying. If he brushes things up a little I think > he’d be in better shape. Still it’s really tough > out there. I agree. 500+ and still trying. That says something about dedication right there! Kudos for that. But yeah, having the GF in there to look more mature seemed like wacky thinking to me. I’m glad you like your GF as much as you say you do - we should all be so fortunate - but that’s not really something for a professional website.

Yes, another brilliant Asian that wants to break into finance by taking the CFA that already has an MBA by the time they are 22, a 4.0, yet has not an iota of experience. Let me put you in the pile along with other 2.2 billion applicants. Maybe you’ll get picked. Most Important: Differentiate yourself from the rest of the herd somehow my friend. There are a lot of you. So playing the numbers is a losing strategy. By the way, the finance sector is shedding jobs like mad. It’s not worth even bothering to get hired in a traditional way. Unless you are willing to work for nothing or have some sort of “in” than you might as well focus on other aspects of your life: sex, spirituality, health, sports, whatever. Join a gym, go on a diet. Get jacked. You have an endomorphic build which means you will need to work at being thinner but can easily get ripped. So do that. People respect you way more. I went from 240 to muscular 175 pounds and can tell you it makes a big difference. Buy another suit. I have a similar build and usually buy from Zegna or Brooks Brothers depending on how thin or chubby I am at a given moment. Both are appropriate and look decent. Perhaps let someone else pick for you. Getting Hired: Two things I’ve noticed - 1. People tend to hire people that remind them of themselves (i.e. same university, religion, background, gender, personality). Why, because you have to work with them, because you like yourself, and most importantly to forge alliances. So target those people. Asians that fit in, in the investment banking world, seem to be pretty personable. So work on that. It’s not a PC thing to say, but you will be best off targeting people that look like you. 2. People tend to hire people that they have connection to. See above. So work on making a personal connection with real human beings. This is the grand achilles heal of Asians. Finally, GO BACK TO ASIA! I work here, it’s great. Don’t be afraid of going home. You will find that there are lots of opportunities for guys like you back home. I’m guessing your from Vietnam or that area. That’s been a great place to do business lately. If you want to stay in the US, that’s fine, but life in the US is about so much more than working. So lastly I’d say, get an interesting hobby. One of my best friends is a partner at Capital and got his first job thanks to a heli-skiing vacation he took his senior year of college. Sure, he was qualified, but meeting a big-shot on the slopes opened all the doors. Think how many wankers on Wall Street got their jobs because of their golf games or in my case Lacrosse skills?

i had to look up endomorphic in a dictionary :slight_smile:

It seems like everyone is criticizing my pictures so I took all of them off. Thanks for that.

No dude, leave a couple of pictures on there (one professional/one active). People like putting faces to names. It helps build a connection.

^ I don’t agree with leaving any pictures up. Unless you are a hot girl, or a good looking white guy, a picture can only hurt you. Also, remove your age.