Career searching from another state?

How effective is it? I would like to get a job to NY, but i dont know if I should apply from where I live or move to NY and then look for a job, if so, where should I move and all that other stuff? Thanks

I recently made a interestate move because I wanted to move to Melbourne from Sydney. What I was told by a head hunter is that unless your resume really shines out, they’re likely to just bin it if they got 10 others like it. It just complicates the whole process for them and so they can’t be bothered.

So I guess what I’m saying is that it depends on your experience and how much your current CV differentiates you from others.

In my case, I had applied to loads of jobs that I thought I was a shoe-in for, and then never heard anything back. It was because there were 10 other candidates who fit the job and could interview the next day. I ended up finding something that was a bit niche and got the job.

Remember that headhunters don’t give a shit about you, they just want the candidates that will get them their commission. If they waste their time on you, their client is likely to fill the position via another headhunter.

Good luck with it mate.

How far do you live from NY? I would make the move if I had money for housing and other expenses.

From a practical standpoint, you’re better off couch-surfing with friends if you’re only coming to New York for some informational visits upfront. Unless you have a ton of money to buy an apartment or can show a steady stream of income, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to rent anything. Might be different if you’re willing to sub-lease or live out of a hotel for a bit, but that’ll be expensive.

No real experience with this, but I might try timing a visit with some kind of financial industry event, such as a conference. So you’d meet people at the event when you arrive, then you stay on for a week or so to have follow-up meetings. You may have to do this a few times to build up more of a network of locals who know you and can let you know if there’s an opening or something coming up.

I don’t know New York (I visited when I was 7 years old). Can’t you get cheap digs if you live say 1h30 away? Would put you close enough that you could commute and look for a job, but far enough where rent wouldn’t kill you.

I like this stategy… So how effective are the websites like efinancialcareers to get jobs?

What’s your experience? Are you looking for entry level?

I never found anything through efinancialcareers though that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t look there. Find out what the main NYC jobs sites are. Often, you’ll have different sites for different careers (i.e. IT, advertising, finance, etc). Set up some searches on these sites but keep your search requirement fairly broad (i.e send me every job in broking, or every job with “analyst” listed somewhere). Don’t be put off if you tick all the boxes of jobs you see. Almost every job I’ve gone for I’ve missed something from the list of “must have requirements”.

When you apply for stuff, don’t just send an email and hope the agents call you. Send them an email and then chase them up the next day with a polite call. If you’re not the right fit, give them a run down of who you are and what you’re looking for and ask them for advice. They’re right in the heart of it so can hopefully give you some pointers.

Searching for a job when you don’t have a job sucks. Get a job on the side (retail or whatever) to pay the bills and keep you busy. The worst thing is feeling panicked when looking for a job. You want a job but you don’t want to feel forced to take the first thing that comes up. Remember that where you start will shape where you go after that so make your move wisely.

I have experience in “interstate career changes”

Even if you aren’t currently in the city, give no indication that you are out of state, get a local address and cell number… Use a mail forwarding service for a local address (or friends/family) and a new cell number is easy to get. Employers will not call out-of state candidate (unless you are the second coming of Aswarth Damodaran, worked on the facebook IPO, HBS+CFA+GS…)

At some point the HR department or a hiring manager may question your out of the area experience and you need to convey that you have already moved and are firmly settled… give a good reason why you (grandmother is dying sick and need to be closer, my wife/gf got a job in town already)… out of state applicants are liabilities because they can come off as transient or not committed to a long term contract. plus they dont want to deal with moving costs and people that are unfamiliar with the area.

NYC is obviously the mecca for jobs so your best bet is to get over there and start looking… you can rent a room month to month for around $800 (a box)…

I did my search from another country. I pulled it off twice. One time travel was terrible, as the city I was located in had no airport, the closest one was 2.5 hours by train, adding a small number of days left from my annual leave post CFA exams, inconvenient travel times and a small number of airlines, it was pure horror. Also, very often, companies would think twice about inviting me, due to the high cost involved.

Did you have experience to leverage it out?

First time it was an entry level position, had experience, but it was not relevant. Second time - yes.

Learn from my mistake.

http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-general-discussion/91175738

^ LOL!

I tell my wife I spend a lot of time on AF because I’m studying, but it’s stories like these that keep me coming back.

dude I have applied to so many states it doesn’t really matter, except for nyc