Hiring for financial services is expected to shrink by 40% (WSJ)

New Grads: Good Luck Finding a Finance Job

http://on.wsj.com/1dYEIZl By Melissa Korn

Sluggish finance hiring is dragging down the job market for new college graduates, according to the latest recruiting trends report from Michigan State University’s Collegiate Employment Research Institute.

While employers forecast a 7% increase in undergraduate hiring for the class graduating in 2014, buoyed by gains in professional services and manufacturing, that growth would have hit double digits without the slump in financial services. Hiring for financial services is expected to shrink by 40% across all degree programs, found the report, which includes responses from nearly 6,500 hiring managers and recruiters.

At the undergraduate level, job openings in financial services will shrink by 27%, though students majoring in economics, finance and accounting—the largest sources for new talent in that industry—will fare just fine because of strong hiring outlooks in other corners of the market, says Phil Gardner, the institute’s director.

M.B.A.s won’t be so lucky: Financial-services respondents said they expect to cut jobs for graduate business students by 58% this year, government employers forecast an 86% plunge, and overall hiring is expected to decline by nearly 25%.

The report calls the contraction for students with advanced degrees in finance “disturbing,” since the supply of M.B.A.s continues to increase while demand for such credentials wanes. (Many M.B.A.s are looking to the tech sector as opportunities in finance dry up.)

Bank of America Corp., Wells Fargo & Co., Citigroup and others have announced massive layoffs in their mortgage operations in recent months amid shrinking portfolios of bad loans and lighter refinancing activity. He says he expects hiring to bounce back after those job cuts are all implemented and the firms can reassess their labor needs.

There are still plenty of bright spots beyond Wall Street. Hospitality, information services and manufacturing companies forecast gains of more than 20% each for bachelor’s degree students. And students pursuing undergraduate degrees in engineering, social services, sciences and even the liberal arts can expect to see more companies come calling this year.

And more employers are expressing an interest in hiring PhDs with expertise in computer science, engineering and data analytics. Gardner says that he could barely get 100 employers to speak about PhD recruiting just a half-dozen years ago; now, the survey includes more than 300 startups, tech firms and other companies seeking doctoral hires.

Still, even those employers that do plan to actively recruit students this year aren’t yet setting firm hiring targets. Just one quarter of employers who hired last year have definite targets for this year—well below the 50% who had defined goals back in the 2011-2012 academic year. Employers who didn’t hire students last year are even more hesitant to commit to new goals.

There was an opening last month at my firm for a back office position. Salary; 30k. The manager told me he received 80 resumes in the first 48 hours.

Back in 2008, I figured that the sucky employment environment for financial analysts would improve within a few months.

5 years later; still waiting…

Try at least another decade or two. Deleveraging is painful.

finance is undergoing a very painful time. I remember during the boom years, each bank literally had 30+ positions open at my alma matter. Today, there’s barely 3 per firm.

Sorry to say this, but for everyone trying to get into one of the coveted jobs in finance (IB, ER, AM etc…), campus recruiting at a top school OR directly applicable work experience are 90 of 100 doors to get through these days. 9 doors are for knowing the right person, and that 1 door is the lucky wild card.

And I wouldn’t bet on the CFA program being that 1 door.

In Canada I doubt that’s enough to pay for rent, a transit card, and beer.

im buying my boss some johnny blue tomorrow

Woo-Hoo, Bigger Bonus Pools!

In all seriousness, it’s pretty bad out there. The last time we went outside for an opening (job boards as opposed to recruiter or internal referral) about a year ago, we were getting 200 resumes a day. We had to sift through so many completely inappropriate submissions to get to the talent we were looking for. Countless submissions from completely unqualified people just desparate for something. It was also really disturbing to see how many people had been out of work for 12+ months.

We stopped looking at submissions after 2 days… just too many. Got the 400 or so resumes from those 2 days down to about 7 solid candidates to interview.

Fck these liberal art fags who smell their own farts and write articles for a newspaper regarding content they don’t know a fcking thing about.

The market is cooking at an all time high and jobs are being cut by 40%!!! That’s got to be the dumbest fcking thing I’ve ever read on the internet.

I bet Melissa is a 4 eyed bish liberal art school grad with a focus in metrosexuality appreciation and did not get a CFA, MBA, and voted for Obama.

See my ‘In THIS ECONOMY’ post.

Preach brother man. Don’t read into these depressing articles, man up and claim your fair share of wealth bc there is plenty out there. I see yahoo publish the need for nurses on a daily basis but every girl i run into happens to be a nurse or pursuing the career. We shall see how that fans out.

They say they do it because they like helping people, but I think the real end goal is just to marry a doctor.

Nursing is a good career if you don’t mind dealing with sick people. There is a structural under supply of nurses in the US that is accelerating due to baby boomer nurse retirement. It’s very easy to find a job and the pay is decent with lots of over time opportunities. I think it’s one of the better service jobs available today.

Also, it doesn’t _ seem _ like finance recruiting will be down 40%, I’ve seen more job postings lately for analysts than at any time in the past several years. Just my opinion based on casual observation though.

^ On the outisde, it seems true Nursing has tons of shortage and older workers. But the bottleneck isn’t that people dont’ want to do it. It’s partly in the nursing schools itself.

From what I know, that’s the same issue with med school. There are fewer residency spots than people who want them, so med schools limit admission so that they don’t have people who can’t get residency spots.

Seems like an awful lot of bile spewed for little cause, CvM. Why so much hate, dude?

Melissa didn’t write the report herself. She’s reporting on what university career services are saying they observe.

It may be that hiring isn’t going to be down so much as 40%, but it could well be that the hires are happening overseas. Why hire an expensive young american anyway? Doesn’t that just dilute your own bonus? Pretty much the only reason to hire an american is to get access to their network of family and friends. Otherwise, you should run to the lowest cost labor that is sufficiently qualified.

That applies to all sectors / professions though.

A Mckinsey recent report on global development states they are expecting the number of large cies (revenue of 1B+) to almost double in the next 20 years or so.

Anybody knows if that will compensate for the fact that the developping worls is increasingly competitive in the job market?

Yes, but not all sectors are equally offshorable. For finance, you need rule of law and connections to money in places like the United States. To some extent, you need facetime here in the US to transfer certain aspects of intellectual capital and to handle ad-hoc requests that would otherwise come in the middle of the night from existing managers here. But those are much smaller requirements for a workforce than they used to be.

Nurses and shopkeepers and retail managers are still going to be needed here in the US.

There are plenty of spots in nursing school if that’s what you meant. Cost may be an issue though at some schools. The entire healthcare educational system is broken and needs reform IMO.

I think you guys(in the US) should consider working in other continents.