CFA charterholder in October, Terminated in November, unemployed since

So I officially earned the Charter backed in October '13 and was terminated from my job 4 weeks later. Been looking for work since (in AM and even compliance) and today I’ve reached a new low in depression. How do people get jobs anymore with a limited network? Lay it on me guys, I really want to feel an even newer level of pain.

why were you terminated? and you were in AM actually managing money?

I was involved in a shouting match with one of my coworkers regarding a racial epitaph directed towards me. The other party and myself were let go because of it. I was in a senior back office trade support/compliance/operations role at a broker dealer. Been looking for similar roles since with the occasional AM application here and there. I’ve even applied to AML compliance positions as well but some reason I couldn’t convert interviews into offers.

You were the cat who fell victim when keeping it real went wrong, right?

Been there done that kiddo. The most important thing to do is keep on hustling. Get out and network. Get on the phone and call old coworkers, acquintences, mentors, friends, etc. Get in the game and get the inside scoop on what’s going down within the sanctum of the firms you are targeting. There is where you can get an edge to get an interview or offer.

Look for ways to just get out. Spend some time with your CFA society helping out, go to the library and read, join big brothers and big sisters and mentor underprivileged youth, stay active despite being unemployed. Get in shape. Run, lift, and push yourself physically. These ideas will help give you some ‘wins’ and keep you feeling positive, motivated, and enthusiastic. There is nothing worse than going to an interview while feeling depressed/desperate.

I get that there are financial constraints to the above, but as much as you can, stay in the game and utilize your talents outside of the job search.

Manage your mood brotha. Keep the roller-coaster from going too high or too low as you push through this adversity.

Rest assured the AF bretheran is behind you all the way. We’re here to help you go get it!

There’s no easy answer to your question.

You will have to try everything and hope something sticks: call people you know, cold call firms in your area, use your alumni services, hire a headhunter, volunteer at local finance organizations, go to company websites, use LinkedIn to find contacts, read books on networking, etc, etc, etc. Hustle 10 hours a day. The worst thing you can do is feel bad about yourself.

the idea is to be productive busy, so there’s not really time for you to sit and mope. like you are doign now

You are on fire today man. Bravo.

It’s tough bud, you need to stay positive, keep yourself in the game any way you can (advice above is critical). You need to believe in yourself first and foremost and get over whatever stuff from the past you might be hung up on. If you dont’ believe in yourself, ain’t nobody going to believe in you. Knock on doors and don’t ever give up on yourself - I’m rooting for you bro.

Try your university alumni network/career services website, I wish you good luck buddy!

The details of your termination are going to be your big hurdle. They are going to make it about 5X harder to find a new job, unfortunately. Employers don’t like to hire even people that were laid off – much less fired. ps – I suspect you meant epithet, not epitaph.

I don’t totally agree with this. A lot of finance folks that have endured the really bad downturn have been laid off and then got another job about equal or better, I’ve seen this firsthand many times. Hiring and mgmt are actually pretty understanding on companies cutting back and letting go whole divisions.

In this case though, termination will definitely be a bigger problem, it would appear he was fired, and that’s a leg much worse than just laid off

racial epithet

You’re correct if we’re talking about, say, the bankruptcy of Lehman brothers. Employers were keen to hire those ex-employees. In the case of layoffs where only one or two employees are let go though, potential employers will know that the those people weren’t the firm’s best or brightest.

Has your termination been an issue so far? Or are you stuck at the initial phase: getting interviews.

CFAMBA made some great points. Hang in there, stay active, and keep up the effort. You only need one yes!

Any employer that looks at his resume is going to see that he was laid off (or fired etc) several months ago.

^ He wouldn’t be the first person to quit a back office role. BTW, how did you get your experience approved?

Learn to control your mood. There are too many hotheads working in finance. Just take a step back and relax when things get too heavy… As Napoleon Hill would say the key to success is to control your instincts

Good luck with your job search. The AF forum is here to support

There are plenty of qualified candidates out there that haven’t been fired for explosive temper tantrums. Why would anyone hire someone dismissed for this when other options are available? Honestly this guy would not be hired by me after that. Too much of a liability. Find a way to hide this past transgression or try plumbing school.

^ Yep, pretty much that. An employer could hire a person with a possible history of violence and bad judgment. But in 2014 I can’t imagine why anyone would.

^ Um, no.

In my current role, we just hired a new associate who spent time at a hacksaw investment firm after graduating from a hacksaw school, but he’s a pure pitbull at heart. Finance needs type A go getters who can go New Yorker when needed. Far too many quiet introverted shy (ie asians) who just allow themselves to get walked on.

To OP, you flew off the handle. It happens. But, it’s not that bad. I’d rather hire someone who has the backbone to stand up for themself than someone who takes abuse in kind just to keep the peace. Don’t feel that you need to apologize for what happened. You were racially targeted, you stood your ground, it got out of hand (in the heat of the moment), and the firm reacted harshly.

Keep pushing son. The AF inner sanctum is on your side.

And this ‘bad economy’ scapegoat is getting old. The S&P hit a new record yesterday and you sheeple on AF keep claiming the economy is bad!?? Itera claims to work for GS or MS and can’t fill an associate level ER role…Yes he get’s 10000000s of resumes, but the ones that reach his desk are complete rusty hacksaw material.