Wear a suit or not on first day of job?

I will be starting new job at an investment bank soon in IT department as a team lead.

Should I just go with normal dress code or go with a suit on first day?

I haven’t met any business folks yet. I might meet them on first day.

I don’t have a good suit so need to buy based on my decision.

what did you wear at your interview then?

Dress shirt and pants.

IT dept? I thought you people were casual

Where an “Official Property of CFA Dept” tshirt.

Flip flops and shorts. I can’t believe people interview for anything corporate in non-suit.

Better to be dressed up than down. Start with the suit.

Wear a suit. As it is your first day, it is highly likely that you will be taken around and introduced to people. Do you really want to look like shit?

agreed. start formal. as you get to know the environment, dress down as appropriate.

Get a tux.

Quadruple post.

Quadruple post

Quadruple post.

^ With tails and a top hat.

IT dept? Are you on the right forum bro?

^ Yes he is. 90% of the people here are IT folks taking the CFA to jump to FO.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1iV24hL8Rk]

You might go a little dressier than the normal code on the first day, but if there’s an understood dress code or expectations, it’s best to try to fit in and not appear overly out-of-place.

Don’t do a suit if you already know the standard is jeans and a T-shirt without coffee stains. But you might go in with a sportcoat and button down if the standard is khakis and a polo shirt. Or add a tie if they already do sportscoats and button downs.

You did have time to observe what people on your team were wearing when you interviewed, yes? Or did you not interview on site?

I dont suite up. Not for job, and very rarely for interview.

^ You IT folks… I only suit up for interviews and I’ll do suit, no tie, for a first day.