Canadian MBA advice

Hello,

I’ve been trying to research whether an MBA program is feasible and worth it. My situation is as follows. Currently 25, graduated with a degree from a Canadian school about 3 years ago with a terrible UG GPA (looking at the 2.5 range). Completed all of the CFA levels since then.

I’m looking to do an MBA to switch out of my career and possibly move into consulting which is what I’m more interested in ultimately.

I’m looking at some good Canadian schools (Ivey/Rotman/Queens/Schulich) and as a pipe dream, possibly some good US or international schools such as INSEAD. I haven’t written the GMAT yet. Given my terrible UG and profile, I don’t know if the opportunity cost of the MBA is worth it. I’m not even sure if I can get in simply due to my grades even if I had a decent GMAT. I’m looking to apply next year for 2018 entry.

Any advice? Rip me apart please.

Thanks.

I dont know a lot about MBA’s, but i beleive the schools you mentions are pretty competitive and doubt a 2.5 will be good enough. i’ll add that if you’re interesting in going back to do a masters in math, that will open up a lot of opportunities in risk managment/ risk consulting.

Top tier consulting (McK, Bain, BCG) are not really in the picture here, sorry to say.

Send me a PM, happy to give you some advice on the process.

You’re a real long shot for Ivey, Rotman or any program to be honest. Even with a top GMAT, that GPA sucks and it doesn’t sound like your experience is all that attractive either.

If you got ample experience, you can still make it. It’s about the whole application and marketing strategy you have for yourself when applying for MBAs. can chat if you want advice.

As someone who recently went through the MBA admission process in Canada, and got accepted into all the schools you mentioned, I can confidently say don’t worry about your GPA. It truly is the LEAST important part of your application and frankly Canadian MBA programs aren’t that difficult to get into. Especially Rotman and Schulich which are both letting everyone and their grandma into the program to put people in the seats as both programs have expanded drastically. However it is extremely unlikely that you will get into a Top10 US MBA or Top2 European MBA with that GPA.

Your GPA is below median for every program so you must focus on doing well on the GMAT so you can show admissions teams that you’re not a complete turd. Moreover killing (700+) your GMAT will be required if you plan on targeting MBB consulting (they use it for screening purposes). As well, Rotman loves people who have completed all 3 levels of the charter and in fact lets those people skip the GMAT all together. Your experience isn’t great, but it’s respectable (I’ve seen a lot worse get into top programs here in Canada).

So stay confident, you’ve got a better shot than you think here in Canada. Kill the GMAT and remember admissions comittees let in people not GPAs & test scores. Good Luck.

Just to say add something to Kanyeezy’s accurate post, and something I have conveyed to the OP:

Getting in isn’t the hard part, getting a good job in this market post-MBA is the hardest part.

my friend did his MBA at Sauder (UBC) and was hired by McKinsey… so it’s not out of the picture (despite what was said above)

Did he have a 2.5GPA?

No matter wwhat, that GPA is a longshot. Like the one reply said above, if you rocked the GMAT and have good experience you could have a chance. But not a lot of 2.5’s have the ability to score 90%+ percentile.

I’ve done a round of MBA applications with a lower than average GPA and it isn’t easy to shrug it off. My GMAT was pretty hot too and I had great experience for early career at the time.

Folks need to stop pointing at one standout and think everyone can do that. Like many said above, it’s possible, but a longshot. So by all means go for it, but keep your expectations in line with reality. I don’t want to sound discouraging, but realistic. You’d only be out a few hundred bucks, no big cost.

I don’t think your low GPA accounts for much in your opportunity cost analysis considering it is past performance and you demonstrated you have a higher skillset than your GPA projects (CFA).

Cost vs. Range of expected future salary & benefits are prob a better start.

I would also try to improve the other areas of your profile which are important for MBA applicants and will also help you advance in your career if you decide not to pursue a MBA :

1. Extra-curriculars

2. Leadership role

3. Improve Employer profile in certain cases, etc

MHO

highly doubt you would get an interview with McKinsey with a 2.5 undergrad GPA. You wouldn’t in Toronto. Stellar work experience and gmat may make up some ground, but would you really bet 100,000 for a 5% chance? The real question is, what if 2 years go by and you haven’t got a good job out of the experience and still owe 100,000? Can you service your debt and is your lifestyle, family impaired?

Again, nothing that hasn’t be discussed in the MBA decision; risk, opportunity cost and motivations.

How much do MBB really care about undergrad transcripts here in Canada? Just asking your opinion as you seem to be knowledgable about the matter and I will be going through fall recruiting for consulting later this year. I know they’re more of a big deal in top US MBAs as they have non grade disclosure.

I’ve talked to some MBB connections in the past few weeks and they all stress the same things to get the first round interview; be top quartile on all your courses, decently strong gmat (not necessarily 700+, but atleast around the 700 threshold), strong extracurriculars, strong resume to spin towards consulting, effective networking (I’ve seen weak GPAs and GMAT’s overcome by this), and in general just be a cool authentic person instead of a consulting robot. No one ever mentions Undergrad GPA, ever.

Full disclosure, i had no interest in consulting but I know several people in it and I have seen fellow students go through the process.

I think you nailed most of the points there in the second paragraph - especially be the cool authentic person, in the latest batch I’ve met who were recruited by MBB, they all had this characteristic, and a good amount of interesting experience. As a counterpoint - no one I know who got a full time offer had a weak undergrad GPA. Take from that as you will. I think most people who end up being competitive are stellar throughout their careers so the weak undergrad GPA conversation never comes up.

Send me a PM if you want to know more, happy to chat - I remember your wholesaler post from a few years back and it was very informative.

Wow this got more responses than I thought. Thanks for all the insight.

I know it’s basically a requirement for me to do well on the GMAT. One thing though. Suppose I was in an MBA program. Wouldn’t the GPA there count more than the UG GPA for recruiting purposes?

Either way the first step for me is to write the GMAT and see how I do there.

you should be posting this on GMATCLUB…

GMATCLUB will be more helpful and positive

sample bias. not many people stick around after getting into their programs. You don’t get as much information about their experiences and post-graduation lives.

Having recently graduated from Ivey MBA program I’ll mention a few words…

This is strictly my opinion - undergrad GPA counts more than MBA GPA for a number of reasons:

1. Undergrad is more challenging and more competitive than MBA once you’re in the program.

2. MBA GPA is generally inflated and more controlled, it stays within a tighter band for the entire class (say… 80-90%). Nobody fails MBA, period.

3. Given that it is inflated, the actual GPA figure doesn’t matter so much, what matters more is that you are in the top quartile of your MBA class.

4. Quality of GPA - a significant part of your MBA GPA has to do with class participation, and that’s a rather arbitrary figure. It could become a popularity contest when it comes to scoring a higher participation grade. Yes, highschool all over again.

5. Some MBA schools have a policy on grade disclosure, meaning your MBA GPA is not allowed to be disclosed to prospective employers, that leaves undergrad GPA (and perhaps GMAT) as your only metric.

Keep in mind, your undergrad (or MBA) grades only matter for select few employers. In consulting it would be Bain, McKinsey, etc. Most other employers probably won’t ask or care about your grades (undergrad or MBA).

First thing is first, write your GMAT to determine where you stand. My suggestion (wish I did this) - write it twice. Your highest score counts.

As others suggested, post your profile on the GMAT Club forum for assessment. You will get some realistic feedback on your chances of getting into the MBA programs that you are intersted in. You can also see other candidate profiles and determine how you stack up against peers (keep in mind, some people might not be truthful in their profiles). Also, they keep track of candidates that get accepted/reject, you will see people with impressive profiles get “dinged” at top US schools.

From the very few details you provided thusfar, I would say forget top 10 US MBA or INSEAD. I’m not pessimistic, I’m being realistic and rather give you the hard truth, your chances are very slim, speaking from personal experience. Of course it doesn’t cost you much to apply… maybe $200-300 in application fees per school, your time putting together the application packages/writing essays, and getting reference letters (remember, you don’t want your reference filling out more than 5 reference letters/forms).

^i thought they use avg of your GMAT scores?