Does anyone else take it personally when rejected after an interview?

ok… not literally… but I just get the feeling that the person behind the phone/ or met in person left thinking i’m stupid… and that ruffles my feathers…how dare they! those MFs.

I had a phone interview recently with apparently the portfolio manager of a long only fund… i thought the call would be to run through my experience /background, ask why im interested (the basics)…I swear the first question was to state the formula for free cash flow (starting from revenue). The guy was going DEEP into the Schweser cheat sheet. Luckily I had some notes in my pocket while sitting in a public plaza on my cell phone playing hooky from work killing the questions…

The guy spent 1 hour trying to prove I was an idiot “describe the residual earnings model”. Maybe he didn’t like my voice because that the last I heard from that firm…

lol

No, I view interviews like speed dating. You have a limited amount of time to convey the information you have. And it is very hard for either side to know exactly how this person will end up being, so heuristics are used to make the best guess. Whenever possible, I try to do work for the person or company in a limited capacity. That way it is more like dating for a couple of months instead of speed dating.

Can you give a link to the role? I’d like to apply LOL. Really though, I prefer technical interviews right from the jump.

People can be dicks. I had an interview a few months ago that started with, “well you didn’t really go to a good undergrad.” As if that mattered given my experience. The guy just didn’t bother to distil my CV. I then proceeded to grill him, in a professional way of course, on why his fund was so effed up with overlapping holdings that made no sense. It was pretty obvious they were just clipping fees from retail investors and not providing much value.

I didn’t get a call back :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Respect.

Was the guy’s first name Richard? Last name, Head? wtf kind of way is that to start an interview…

I’ve only taken it personally once. It’s a smallish firm, but good work environment and killer benefits. A few classmates work there and warned me about the interviewer - one of his favorite questions is “What research did you do on [workplace] that leads you to want to work here?” My response was essentially that the human intelligence on the place was that it freaking rocked, and that I trusted the sources. That was the wrong answer. Apparently the right answer is that I thoroughly researched the business on the internet, even though it’s one of those local, politically powerful landmarks that no one would dare print anything negative about.

That made a lot of sense to me. /sarcasm

I tried to backpedal and say that while I did research the firm myself, I had more faith in the reports from [more than one, but less than ten] people I know personally who work there.

My incredulity must struck him the wrong way, because the interview ended soon after and I never heard back.

I got a bit annoyed once, when I was invited to interview for a position, and so I went in, and this one guy kept drilling me on math questions. At some point, I just stopped answering and tried to politely change the subject. Again, these guys prospected me for this position as a peer, knowing my very specific background. The manager even called me back for a follow up meeting, and turns out I was too expensive for them anyway…

Does a baseball player get discouraged when they don’t get a hit?

Business interviews aren’t really that bad.

There are other interviews for more demanding positions that require multiple medical tests, polygraph, etc. that really hit you at the core.

Business interviews usually just cover your ability to perform the task required.

A wise man once said “its not personal, its just business.”

The billionaire sitting next to him, said quite frankly, “my dear child, business is personal.”

You’ve gotta let it just roll off you. When I was coming out of school I did probably 3-4 dozen interviews, none of which went anywhere. All it takes is one. Keep your head up.

It’s funny, my current job was probably the most relaxed interview of them all. Had to do 2 since the CEO was out of town for #1, but the 1st was 30 minutes of chat/technical (and I mean technical, like gas market pricing implications that the CFO was listing off on the fly) and the 2nd was a lot more general/fit with the other senior execs.

Whatever though, I got the job!

You guys ever been to a 6 hr interview case study. What’s that even mean and am I getting fed!

Not 6hrs, but did a 4 hr model test and write up. That sucked.

Had to summarize and write up a full report on a province’s credit structure in 60 mins. Only materials provided were the financial statements for the province. Liked the team but realised that job wasn’t for me.

A guy once leaned back in his chair to start the interview, in silence, and kicked his feet up on the desk. I was in college looking for my first real job and he was just trying to intimidate me. After about 30 seconds and trying (failing) to get him into a conversation, I asked if that’s how the firm treats all their junior staff because if so - I wouldn’t waste any more time for either of us.

He snapped out of it and we completed the interview but I didn’t get an offer. I was for sure thrown off by that and the rest of the interview felt subpar, but I was proud that I at least called him out for ludicrous behavior. It’s hard to react when you’re that caught off guard, ha, but in retrospect I wish I’d have just left.

I had a career coach do mock interviews like that with me. It just gives you full control of the situation. You are able to pitch without much response knowing he is listening. It also tests your confidence in a somewhat unfamiliar situation.

Personally, I find it a real d*ck move, but thats life. How much do you want the position. …

Just got out. 9 to fucking 3. I was fed. Anyways they asked me if like to party? I cocked a smile and was ready to spill the beans. And he’s like you don’t have to answer that. Hahah. I shoulda stopped him and said but I want to. Minus the lame ass case studies I enjoyed the interview. They asked me about basketball, dota, my academic background and workout routine.

Anyways I’m looking for a new job cuz my boss wants me to go to aspen for 3 to 6 months out of the year. It’s not happening, I’d rather walk out the door.