Careers

Hi all!

I was curious to know what kind of roles current CFA chartholders are in, alongside the jobs candidates of the CFA are also doing. Current candidates: what kind of job would you hope to land after your receive the charter?

I’m currently working in a control function of a BB so it’s not the most exciting role in a world…

I’m doing internship in Fund of Funds. Want to be Bruce Wayne after receiving the charter.

I believe you can find the actual job breakdown of current Charterholders on the CFAI website. It’s part of the survey they send out on a regular basis.

It’s as you would expect. Most are PMs and analysts. The real money is in plumbing though.

I really doubt that most CFA people are portfolio managers or analysts. There is probably significant reporting bias if that’s what the report says. 

“Visit the Water Cooler forum on Analyst Forum. It is the best forum.”
- Everyone

ohai wrote:

I really doubt that most CFA people are portfolio managers or analysts. There is probably significant reporting bias if that’s what the report says. 

I guess I should use more precise language. You’re right that it’s inaccurate to state most CFAs are PMs/analysts. The survey shows the highest concentration of Charterholders is in the portfolio management and research analyst roles. Combined I think it was around 30% or so.

There are likely more plumbers but they’re too busy rolling in dough to fill out surveys.

Sweep the Leg wrote:

ohai wrote:

I guess I should use more precise language. You’re right that it’s inaccurate to state most CFAs are PMs/analysts. The survey shows the highest concentration of Charterholders is in the portfolio management and research analyst roles. Combined I think it was around 30% or so.

There are likely more plumbers but they’re too busy rolling in dough to fill out surveys.

what’s with the whole plumbers rolling in it thing? Am I in the wrong profession…?

Level 4 = Plumber

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

The smartest and brightest candidates skip the first 3 levels and get straight to the point.

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

Saw a Brazzer’s video that other day (for academic purpose of course) that involved a plumber and a lady who needed her pipes fixed. No one makes videos about financial modelers :[

I saw a video on a similar site (also for academic purposes) of a BSD and his secretary. He had a computer on his desk, so it’s possible he was in the finance… but more likely than not, he was a plumber.

im more into shoplyfter! even security people get laid!

I love my cheese. I got to have my cheddar.