How many AFers are applying for MBA this year?

Noticed a lot of AFers are applying for b-school this year, probably because I am also applying. We AFers battle for the CFA, now MBA. What a life… By the way, which is the most authoritative/recognized b-school ranking. This sh$t is all over the place.

usnews - they rank based on market perception - which is what matters

Edit: Forgot Chicago Top 5 might include: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Booth, and MIT That’s all I know.

I was planning applying for 2011, but might have landed a job with a BB, if so will definitley put that on hold. You guys should check out Math Magic by Scott Flansburg, really cool book will help you be able to do complex calculations in your head, which is crucial for saving time on GMAT.

I am. There is no such thing as the most authoritative ranking. But the word on the street is that H/S/W > MIT/Chi/K/C. In my opinion, any of the 7 will do. It is more important to figure out where you want to work, what is your career goal, and how do you fit in at a particular school. I think peopl get too caught up in the rankings.

MSc Fin not sure about ranking but highly regarded academically.

fxguy1234 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was planning applying for 2011, but might have > landed a job with a BB, if so will definitley put > that on hold. > > You guys should check out Math Magic by Scott > Flansburg, really cool book will help you be able > to do complex calculations in your head, which is > crucial for saving time on GMAT. http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Mental-Math-Mathemagicians-Calculation/dp/0307338401/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248819761&sr=8-1 This is the one I’ve got. It’s very good so far.

Based on several rankings and employment reports that I’ve seen over the years, and just the associate prestige, here’s the consensus OVERALL (not finance) top 10 in descending order Harvard/Stanford/Wharton/Northwestern Harvard Stanford Wharton Northwestern Booth (UChicago) MIT Columbia Dartmouth Haas (Berkeley) At least 5 schools can lay claim: Duke/NYU/Darden/UMichican/Yale. Probably more For Finance (Wall Street and Buy side, excluding PE), Wharton, Chicago and Columbia are arguably 1-2-3. Just based off placement and alumni network on the street. Its like Starving Banker said - overall rankings aren’t that important. Northwestern is top 5 because they flood people into MBB consulting - an area most people here could care less about.

isn’t yale’s mba fairly now? I checked out the employment report and its nothing spetacular. How is haas, UCLA, and USC viewed?

Yeah - Yale is new. In some rankings it is pretty low. Out of top 15. I was surprised to see it #10 or so in the recent US News ranking. I threw it in there, but I would take UVA, Duke or NYU in a heartbeat. Haas is usually bottum of top 10. UCLA Anderson is currently 14th in both US News and BW. I looked at their employment report. It wasn’t earth shattering, and the finance placement was good but not great. For Wall Street placement, It’s Cali locale must hurt. Don’t know about USC

Heres another question. Would u go for Haas MBA or Haas MFE if u want to work in finance?

ancientmtk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > isn’t yale’s mba fairly now? I checked out the > employment report and its nothing spetacular. > > How is haas, UCLA, and USC viewed? i would see graduates having successful purely from the name attached to the mba though. plus, the alumni will do whatever they can to improve the ‘brand’ of it because its attached to their name for life. does that make sense?

ancientmtk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Heres another question. > > Would u go for Haas MBA or Haas MFE if u want to > work in finance? The MFE if you want to go into quant research (BGI) or maybe risk mgmt (for a hedge fund or bank). The MBA if you want to go into fundamental research for a hedge fund or mutual fund, investment banking, PE, or corporate finance for a big company (Apple or Google).

storko Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ancientmtk Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > isn’t yale’s mba fairly now? I checked out the > > employment report and its nothing spetacular. > > > > How is haas, UCLA, and USC viewed? > > i would see graduates having successful purely > from the name attached to the mba though. > > plus, the alumni will do whatever they can to > improve the ‘brand’ of it because its attached to > their name for life. does that make sense? At best, Yale has the reputation of being a second tier b-school. While Yale U has a strong brand name, the reputation of the b-school is not up there. SOM just lost its dean( think he left to join Apple) and the new facility has been put on hold due to funding issues. It’s probably a top 30 school and hardly in the same league of the M7.

i am. ugh…harvard’s first round is october 1st, i want to wait to see if i passed L3 before applying and i haven’t taken the GMAT yet…oh, and i work full time. what a life.

dennis2085 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i am. ugh…harvard’s first round is october 1st, > i want to wait to see if i passed L3 before > applying and i haven’t taken the GMAT yet…oh, > and i work full time. > > what a life. We are in the same shoe here. GMAT first, I am registering now…

Yale: All but two of their graduate programs are in the top 10 in their respective fields. The missing ones: business and divinity. If you’re in finance you can ignore many of the top programs (northwestern, etc.) – buyicide’s list is a reasonable start. (Personally I think NYU has a solid finance program as well, and its location helps recruiting.)

How about we break it down this way: For IB, PE, HF: Wharton & Chicago For investment mgmt :Columbia & ? For VC, new venture, Tech: Stanford For Management: HBS, Kellogg For Strategy consulting: ??? Please help me fill this out

For Online - U of P

For Offline: U of P (I bet you can save the files to your hard drive)