Successful financier disappears after earning $30 million

LAKELAND, Fla. – In 2006, Abraham Shakespeare — a truck driver’s assistant who lived with his mother — won $30 million in the Florida lottery. His good fortune may have cost him his life. Shakespeare vanished months ago. Shakespeare, 43, won the big jackpot after buying a lottery ticket at a convenience store in a town called Frostproof, claiming later that he gave the last $3 in his pocket to a homeless man just before the winning numbers were announced. Shakespeare — who had a criminal record that included arrests and prison time for burglary, battery and not paying child support — took a lump-sum payment of $16.9 million instead of annual installments. He bought a Nissan Altima, a Rolex from a pawn shop, a $1 million home in a gated community. He talked about starting a foundation for the poor and insisted the money wouldn’t change him. “I’m not a material person,” he said in 2007. “I don’t let material things run me. I’m on a tight budget.” The money quickly caused him problems. A former co-worker sued him in 2007, accusing Shakespeare of stealing the winning ticket from him. Six months later, a jury ruled the ticket was Shakespeare’s. Then there were the people constantly asking him for a piece of his fortune. “They didn’t wait. They just came right after they found out he won this money,” his mother, Elizabeth Walker, said recently. She said her son was generous, paying for funerals, lending money to friends starting businesses and even giving a million dollars to a guy known only as “Big Man.” Not long after he bought the million-dollar home in early 2007, he was approached by a woman named Dee Dee Moore, said family and officials. On Dec. 5, a sobbing Moore told The Ledger that she helped Shakespeare disappear, but now wants him to return because detectives were searching her home and car and looking for blood on her belongings. One reason he wanted to leave, she said, was a child support case for a child he allegedly fathered after winning the lottery. Moore’s past includes a year of probation after she was charged with falsely reporting that she was carjacked and raped in 2001. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/01/06/2010-01-06_30m_lottery_winner_abraham_shakespeare_feared_murdered_for_his_jackpot.html

How was he a successful financier?

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How was he a successful financier? Not just that, how did he “earn” his money? He won it, he didn’t “earn” it.

what does a truck driver’s assistant do? “turn left now!”

spierce Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nuppal Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > How was he a successful financier? > > > Not just that, how did he “earn” his money? He > won it, he didn’t “earn” it. Not just that, why is this being reported in NY when in happened in Fla.?

SMIRK Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > LAKELAND, Fla. – In 2006, Abraham Shakespeare — a > truck driver’s assistant who lived with his mother > — won $30 million in the Florida lottery. Wow. I am going to pursue a career in truck drive assistantship because I hope to be financially successful and live with my mother one day. Do you guys think clearing L2 of the CFA will give me an edge over other applicants?

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How was he a successful financier? “She said her son was generous, paying for funerals, lending money to friends starting businesses and even giving a million dollars to a guy known only as “Big Man.””

Not likely, the CFA is aimed more at portfolio management and financial analysis. Although the skills gained through doing the CFA can be applicable across many careers, assisting a truck driver is probably not one of them. You’re better off to go to your regional MTO and ask about specific drivers licenses or requirements to becoming an assistant to a truck driver.

why the heck you tell anyone if you won this kind of sick money? I would not boast if i win big amount. My life may not change next day. I will make sure that whatever I do, I don’t let everyone know. This is the problem with not so educated guys.

Per the USA megamillions website: In most states, lottery winner information is public domain, therefore it is public information. Publicized information normally includes the jackpot winner’s name, city, county, game in which they won, date won, and the amount of the prize. Good luck not letting anyone know!

Name: Sanka’s Dad City: Sanka’s Mom’s place County: Herp-freeville Game: Twister Date: 9 Months from now Amount: 5 years worth of savings

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Name: Sanka’s Dad > City: Sanka’s Mom’s place > County: Herp-freeville > Game: Twister > Date: 9 Months from now > Amount: 5 years worth of savings ha

hehe

somewhere I read you should spend 10% right off the top… just get it out of you… ~2 million… what would you spend it on? I know two things and both start with the letter B

goldenboy09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > somewhere I read you should spend 10% right off > the top… just get it out of you… ~2 million… > > what would you spend it on? I know two things and > both start with the letter B Bumpit’s (for the wife) Bow and arrow?

goldenboy09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > somewhere I read you should spend 10% right off > the top… just get it out of you… ~2 million… > > what would you spend it on? I know two things and > both start with the letter B Booze and betting.

Butt seckz and Blow pops

babes and booze

should of said D’s then we could all say double d’s

“On Dec. 5, a sobbing Moore told The Ledger that she helped Shakespeare disappear.” Er…she helped him “disappear”? Quite the poetic ending for Mr. Shakespeare…