Ironman Triathlon vs CFA

Of course, time will be the biggest issue here, which is why you can only choose one of the two. CFA refers to finishing off level 3, as I have already knocked down the first 2 levels. 1. What is more fulfilling? 2. What takes up more time? 3. What is tougher? Essentially, what would you choose to take in 2011? Needless to say, after the triathlon, one may choose to take the CFA level 3 exam in 2012. Comments?

interesting comparison for me: 1. What is more fulfilling -> CFA 2. What takes up more time? -> iron man, as you are training for three different sports in parallel 3. What is tougher? -> i’d have to go with the iron man as you are cross-training every day for months; running, swimming, cycling for prob >30 hours each week.

1. Ironman 2) Ironman 3) Ironman Unlike with the CFA, with the Ironman you HAVE to have it on the back of your mind at all times. Example, you have to watch your diet, with CFA your diet usually goes south. You have to regulate your sleep, with CFA you can sleep less or more depending on how you study. You have to have a minimum level of physical fitness going into the Ironman, with CFA you can have no finance exp and still study you way into a pass.

Do cfa this year, finish what you started. Then refocus.

I’m pretty sure that this is not a serious question, but if it is, why can’t you do both?

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m pretty sure that this is not a serious > question, but if it is, why can’t you do both? I don’t think it’s possible to train for a triathalon, hold down a job, and study for CFA. The only person I know who can do that is Chad and maybe BBQ.

just remember…if your not first, your last

It depends on what your level of training is. I ran a marathon in May before the L3 exam. I’m sure there are people who are more badass than me that can do an Ironman - especially if they’re at a higher fitness level.

My brother and a friend of mine have completed Ironman Triathlons. My friend just completed the Louisville Ironman on Sunday. It can take a well conditioned person up to a year to build up the endurance just to finish an Ironman. The CFA just involves sitting on your ass and hammering out the study time. You could be a 400lb slob and become a charterholder. Completing an Ironman requires much more dedication and willpower. I don’t think you can even compare the two. Even on a resume I think the Ironman stands out even more than the CFA. Once again the CFA just proves you have the ability to study and pass exams. The Ironman shows that you work hard, are dedicated, and do not quit. Ironman for all three. p.s. I am currently training for a mid-distance tri. Should be fun!

^ You put my thoughts into a much more eloquent statement. Thanks brah.

1. Probably Ironman 2. CFA, I’m really shocked to see people say otherwise honestly. I put in 300 for Level I, 200 for Level II, and failed hence I’ve got to put in another 300 for June 2011. So that’s 800 hours without Level III which is the worst. I’ve never done an Ironman but have done some normal triathalons and a marathon. If you train 10 hours a week for a year you will be more than prepared to complete the race. CFA here and it’s not close. 3 CFA again. With an Ironman all you have to do is train that’s it. No fear of failing, no constant formulas around in your head, no waking up panicking you forgot everything. CFA is a much more grueling endeavor. Academics always will be.

With an ironman, you know if you put in the required hours training, you will not fail unless you wake up with a fever or catch a cold right before the event. With the CFA, you can put in hundreds of hours and not be assured of passing simply because the exam can be somehwhat of a crapshoot, especially at L2 and I assume L3 is the same. I think the CFA requires more time, but in terms of fullfillment and toughness, I think both are about the same, but in very different ways.

dbfinley Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 1. Probably Ironman > 2. CFA, I’m really shocked to see people say > otherwise honestly. I put in 300 for Level I, 200 > for Level II, and failed hence I’ve got to put in > another 300 for June 2011. So that’s 800 hours > without Level III which is the worst. I’ve never > done an Ironman but have done some normal > triathalons and a marathon. If you train 10 hours > a week for a year you will be more than prepared > to complete the race. CFA here and it’s not > close. > 3 CFA again. With an Ironman all you have to do is > train that’s it. No fear of failing, no constant > formulas around in your head, no waking up > panicking you forgot everything. CFA is a much > more grueling endeavor. Academics always will be. Are you an athlete? Besides getting killed there really is not too much “risk” with learning. With traning for an event if you take one bad step you can be out for a LOOONG time. Ironman is hands down more grueling than the CFA, you can study your a$$ off and still be sitting in the most comfy burka lounger with a pipe by a fire place while eating chocolate doves. Ironman you have to physically push yourself into a zone your body doesn’t want to go. Ever wonder why academics can be smart from birth to death versus an athlete having an effective time frame of maybe 30 years? Being an athlete takes much more of a toll on you than studying.

AM - academics can be very grueling, especially when you are working full-time and have many other commitments. You will see how grueling it can become once you get to L2 and L3 of the CFA program. To base your opinion on L1, I think is a bad mistake. It is really a silly comparison because athletes will say athetics is harder, academics will say acdemics is harder.

CFA for sure. Everyday people run, bike and swim for FUN. Because that is what it should be. If there is one person who spends a weekend grinding though a cash flow calc for fun, that person needs to be committed. I have done a half-ironman, and I would look forward to swimming around the pier every Friday. I enjoyed my Saturday long bike rides and I had fun doing intervals with the club on Tuesdays. I am absolutely dreading picking up those books again this fall / winter/ spring.

thommo77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > AM - academics can be very grueling, especially > when you are working full-time and have many other > commitments. You will see how grueling it can > become once you get to L2 and L3 of the CFA > program. To base your opinion on L1, I think is a > bad mistake. It is really a silly comparison > because athletes will say athetics is harder, > academics will say acdemics is harder. Actually, you’re completely right. I am only basing my assumptions on L1 which, comparatively speaking, is not that tough. Even though I failed…

CFA is more difficult by a long shot. i studied for 900 hours in 18 months over a 2.5 year period and barely passed all levels on my first attempt. at the same time i worked out for 20 months ,5 days a week for an hour a day and went from 155 to 205 lbs with about 13% body fat. I think that was much easier. Anyone could have done the bodybuilding and get similar results. Not to mention there are a bunch of fatas*** here at work who plan to “run”(really its just one long walk) in a marathon next year and its not their first time.

I thought we were talking about Ironman Triathlons. These are very different from casual exercise.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I thought we were talking about Ironman > Triathlons. These are very different from casual > exercise. Yeah, the goal for most Hawaii Ironman competitors is to simply complete the race.

To compare the two is an effort in futility. Both are laudable but incomparable. To finish the Ironman is an admirable achievement, no doubt. The dedication, persistence and determination required is impressive. However, to quote my dad, who was a Navy Seal, pain “is a state of mind.” Competing in an endurance sport requires conditioning, strategy (if you actually want to compete) and the ability to take yourself to a happy place and turn your pain into pleasure. With enough practice, the right diet and the ability to re-sculpt your body, it is doable. The CFA requires some of the same characteristics (think dedication, willpower) but otherwise is a completely independent event. Sure, anyone can do it according to this board. But, the stats prove otherwise (womb to tomb). With pursuing the Charter, unlike competing in a triathlon, your progress is difficult to quantify. With endurance training, you know when you are making better times, looking and feeling more fit, the lactic acid buildups are dissipating etc. In pursuit of the CFA designation you tangentially feel as though you are making progress but you have no clue until you actually write the exams on little to no sleep do you understand your true level of mental conditioning. Therefore, with endurance training the progress can be plotted, seen and felt. In pursuing the Charter, your “training” may be more of a mirage, not fully understood until the day of reckoning. FWIW, I agree wholeheartedly with Black Swan. Focus your efforts on completing what you started before becoming involved in another task that will wear on you both mentally and physically.