Interview where you just don't give a f

I have one of those tomorrow. A medical co in my area found my resume and felt I would be a good candidate for the supply chain/sourcing operations team. I have no idea what this position even is and even less of a clue why they called me unsolicited. So I’m going in for practice and I really don’t give a f. Question - What is your dream job? Answer - NFL Quarterback. We’ll see how it goes. Perhaps this will diffuse some of my high interview anxiety. Any good stories regarding interviews where you just didn’t care?

not so sure you should purposely screw it up. be honest, answer questions honestly. tell them you do not care for the job at the present moment since your focus is elsewhere. the world is really small, and you never know when one of these guys might be elsewhere on a job you really wanted.

I’m taking it seriously, but this one is not rattling my nerves like others have. Poor thread title, I was a little candid while I chummed it up.

I’m taking it seriously, but this one is not rattling my nerves like others have. Poor thread title, I was a little candid while I chummed it up.

supply chain operations in a non-finance company? I wouldn’t take it seriously either. I’d rather do BO at some mid-tier investment bank. It’s possible you were chosen strategically. Someone could already be set to take the job, and you’re used as a filler to show that people were interviewed, and there was “competition”

At least do this: if the interviewer asks you where do you see yourself 3-5 years from now, answer “in your office”.

Actually, the jobs where I seem to care least about, I tend to have the most fun and am the most confident…and have a higher hit rate getting second and final rounds with those types of firms than places that I *do* care about. This could be a good opportunity man…just enjoy being in the moment while you’re there. And if they offer you a free drink or refreshment, by all means take it.

It depends a bit on the interview format. I once went to an interview that I wasn’t too interested in, but figured I’d be a good chance to talk to an alumni who was there (of my graduate program). For the first 10 min when it was just me talking to the alumni, it went well, nice and casual. Once his boss came in, they started asking the most generic HR questions (i.e. tell me about a time when you did…) and I couldn’t even fake how bored and perhaps even a bit repulsed I was at the way they’re attempting to screen candidates. Pretty sure I left a negative impression when I left, but I just couldn’t help it, the job really sounded like crap and they just wanted warm bodies to fill the head count.

WEAR A TUXEDO!

Answer the standard HR questions with answers to other standard HR questions

Just tell them that you are interested in the chain business (dad owned a hardware store) and that you are wondering who they supply chains to. Given it seems most of their business is in healthcare, are they seeing higher growth in demand for chains in the mental health or drug rehabilitation facilities. Hint that you think they could grow their chain business to new segments, such as S&M stores, and that you may have a few leads and people to whom you could introduce them with regard to those opportunities.

Tell them you have dreamed about being a supply chain manager since you were in diapers. You currently live and breath the supply chain language such as chain linking and just in time inventory. Tell them your idols are the Japanese plant managers at Toyota for inventing just in time. You hope to one day develop your own supply chain/inventory system for the medical field.

agreed. with the increasing cost of steel, i anticipate the price of chains to skyrocket. metal chains especially. and tell them your dad used to work the chain gang.

I am currently interviewing for one of these “I don’t care” roles. I just finished the 2nd round and will be doing a 3rd and final round early in the new year. I still went to each interview and showed enthusiasm and how I could fit in with their company. I still tried to market myself and show what skills from my unrelated field are applicable to their manufacturing business. It doesn’t hurt to just try. The more offers you have on the table, the more leverage you have to negotiate with other companies. It also feels good and is a good confidence-booster just to have an offer on the table. How many offers have you received in the past year? I’m not trying to be mean, but I’m guessing less than 5 because that’s just the way the economy is right now and you’re essentially interviewing full-time while in bschool. So just take what you can including refeshments as numi pointed out :slight_smile:

I once got a call from an engineering firm because of my engineering degree, totally unsolicited and unexpected. I told them I’m in finance, but they still sent the job description if I change my mind and think of returning back to engineering. Just for time pass I went through the description and it said “international travel, more than 70% of time”, so I replied back with yes just for fun and just to know about travelling prospects and luxuries they offer on that… :-)! BUT, to my surprise, first question in interview was, why you want to change back to engineering… and I was like… WTF, that interview felt like getting punked, though it was totally fun beer discussion about fun in international travel as sales engineer… lol!

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am currently interviewing for one of these “I > don’t care” roles. I just finished the 2nd round > and will be doing a 3rd and final round early in > the new year. > > I still went to each interview and showed > enthusiasm and how I could fit in with their > company. I still tried to market myself and show > what skills from my unrelated field are applicable > to their manufacturing business. It doesn’t hurt > to just try. The more offers you have on the > table, the more leverage you have to negotiate > with other companies. > > It also feels good and is a good > confidence-booster just to have an offer on the > table. How many offers have you received in the > past year? I’m not trying to be mean, but I’m > guessing less than 5 because that’s just the way > the economy is right now and you’re essentially > interviewing full-time while in bschool. So just > take what you can including refeshments as numi > pointed out :slight_smile: Less than 5! Who gets more than 5 job offers in one year? Surely you tend to interview for jobs you aspire to get. Once you get an offer (or five!), wouldn’t you stop interviewing and take it?

Just got out. It seemed like a decent job. Still not too interested, but the confidence boost was there since I was much less nervous. The resume they found was ancient, no idea where they got it.

My buddy referred me for a job that I later realized I had no interest in. Think it was in the Corporate Action Group or whatever; I honestly don’t even know what the heck did it mean. I called them up to cancel the interview once I realized I wasn’t remotely interested. If I really have absolute no interest in a job, I always just do everyone a favor and tell them. It’s good karma, buddy.

beware of Morgan Stanley. Anything marked as “wealth management” can be everything from the investment team to the supporting operations team. It’s ALL labeled as “wealth mgmt”. I got the interview and only realized it was BS when I got in and we started talking.

i like to interview candidates where i just dont give a f. you know, a buncha suckers brought by HR to fill in quotas, where we all know we’ll fill the position by internal tranfer. it really takes the pressure off the interviewer, i dont have to gauge how good they are or if they’ll be the right fit - i dont care. i just try to come up with oddball nonsense questions and watch the poor bastards squirm as they strive to make a good impression