Work in Transactional Due Dilligence for CFA Charter?

Hello,

I am an ACCA Affiliate who managed to pass recently in 1.5yr as a full time student and I’m pretty new to CFA. Supposed to write in December 2019. My main concentration for ACCA were Financial Management and Audit and Assurance so I have basic knowledge about the CFA Topics.

I have a few questions to the wonderful people here may be you might feel them as foolishness but forgive me for it as I said I’m pretty new to this. 

These are few of my questions and I hope you answer all of it.

1. I’m trying to secure a job in Transaction Advisory Department as it is more related in finance and I’m most likely to be placed in Transaction Due Diligence process. would that help me to earn a CFA charter if i work in that particular department for 48 months? 

2. Everyone i have met has only told me that CFA is very tough to pass and passing all 3 levels while doing a full time job is close to impossible, is there anybody here who has cleared CFA Level 3 while you were in a full time job? If yes, could you brief me about your story and how much time you used to put in everyday for it?

3.Also thinking of Attempting Level II in June 2020 if i manage to make it in December would that be good or is 6 months too short of time after Level I

3.How are Schweser Notes and Practice Book?

4.How are Mark Meldrum Lectures for all 3 levels, or if you have any particular favorites in mind for different levels could you state their names as it would be helpful to me along the way. 

Many Many Thanks in Advance for helping me out :D :)

Schweser's upgraded learning platform and refreshed content are exactly what you need to prepare to pass the CFA® Program exam. Save 10% when you order a Premium Package for a limited time.

I’m pretty sure that 95% of candidates have a full time job. It’s a grind but it is doable. 

If you're the first out the door, that's not called panicking

Get that soft “is it possible” mentality the **** on outta here. 

I’ll leave you with this - the most nerdy response I’ll ever make:

Now imagine it, put the hours in and stay passionate
Wasn’t blowing money, I was stacking it
Figured what the **** I want to do in life and practiced it
Pay attention, none of this is happening by accident
Listen, I don’t slack a bit
Game plan solid, no cracks in it
Said I want a billion now nothing less is adequate
Grab and check, cashing it
I was born addicted to the money
Difference is now if finally found a way to manage it
What you think I’m paid for nothing?
You must be mistaken someone
I had to go make that fund and I’m trying to be great at something
Spend not saving nothing
Flying from the bay to London
They say that money talks but you’re not saying nothing
Now try and shade me, I’m like I guess
Why yes, you drive a Toyota, please define flex

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

Thank you for the respnere, 

But can you also enlighten me on the other questiiqu I’ve asked ? 

Actually the first question is the important part.

jake.johan wrote:

Thank you for the respnere, 

But can you also enlighten me on the other questiiqu I’ve asked ? 

Actually the first question is the important part.

https://www.cfainstitute.org/community/membership/process/Pages/work_experience_assessment.aspx

Take that assessment and you’ll have a pretty good picture of where you’re standing. 

If you're the first out the door, that's not called panicking

jake.johan wrote:

Hello,

I am an ACCA Affiliate who managed to pass recently in 1.5yr as a full time student and I’m pretty new to CFA. Supposed to write in December 2019. My main concentration for ACCA were Financial Management and Audit and Assurance so I have basic knowledge about the CFA Topics.

I have a few questions to the wonderful people here may be you might feel them as foolishness but forgive me for it as I said I’m pretty new to this. 

1. I’m trying to secure a job in Transaction Advisory Department as it is more related in finance and I’m most likely to be placed in Transaction Due Diligence process. would that help me to earn a CFA charter if i work in that particular department for 48 months? 

I have no idea, sorry. 

2. Everyone i have met has only told me that CFA is very tough to pass and passing all 3 levels while doing a full time job is close to impossible, is there anybody here who has cleared CFA Level 3 while you were in a full time job? If yes, could you brief me about your story and how much time you used to put in everyday for it?

Most candidates have full-time jobs. In fact, I don’t know a single candidate who wouldn’t be working full-time. CFA is supposed/designed to be done while working. It’s challenging but definitely not impossible. After all almost 20% of candidates who sit for LVL1 will eventually pass LVL3.  Giving out studying schedules is quite difficult since everyone’s situation is different. Someone who is completely new to finance will need significantly more time to study than someone who has 10 years of industry experience under his belt. I work in finance and I thought the guideline 300h would be enough for me. It wasn’t. I haven’t logged how many hours I have studied but I estimate that LVL1 was approx 450h, LVL 2 approx 700h (two attempts combined) and so far on LVL3 I have studied close to 600h. 

3.Also thinking of Attempting Level II in June 2020 if i manage to make it in December would that be good or is 6 months too short of time after Level I

It is doable but definitely not easy. I tried it and failed band 9 on LVL2. If you decide to go for it, I advice you to start studying right after LVL1 exam (don’t wait until results…if you wait, you have lost 6-8 wees of studying time) Start studying FI and EQ as those will help you to understand better what you learned on LVL1. 

I wouldn’t recommend. LVL1 Qbank was decent but LVL2 material wasn’t that great. Then again, there are candidates who swear that Schweser is the way to go. 

4.How are Mark Meldrum Lectures for all 3 levels, or if you have any particular favorites in mind for different levels could you state their names as it would be helpful to me along the way. 

I have used MM’s videos and notes since LVL1. He is legit. He has a way of explaning the complicated matters in an understandable way. 

Good luck!

It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

thank you very much, you were of great help

jake.johan wrote:

Hello,

No clue 

All I know have been working full time - so yes doable. You have to put in the hours - and make a lot of room availble in your calendar towards the exam - i took a week of work and did nothing but mock-exams. That helped me get through level II and III.

Double the stress - but I know a guy who did it. I tried and failed…

I’ve never bought anything besides the books. In my mind they are the closest to the exam stuff - so I figures reading them was enough - it was for me. Did the end-of-chapter questions many many times!

Again - it is enough to read the books and do the mocks. You can probably find all the old mocks (from 2010) till today, and that should be enough. There are changes to the curriculum, but they are minor.

I hope I brought some extra to the table with my insigts :)