Top Cities for Investment Careers

Hey all - just curious from all the knowledge on this forum - what are the top cities for Fixed Income and Equity jobs out there besides NYC? ] Specifically, I’m curious about PM or Analyst positions.

Lincoln, Nebraska or Jackson, Mississippi

boston has a lot of shops, some popping up in SF

Chicago . Philly , Boston , san-fran and apparently Toronto

Wat about Orange COunty area or LA? Theres alotta rich ppl there.

Some of the greatest financial schemes of our time were orchestrated in Orange Co and L.A.

Well for starters, Connecticut is the capital of the hedge fund world…

Seriously why would anyone who qualified for these type of jobs even ask. It’s like a basbeball player asking, “where can I get a job in the majors outside of the New York Yankees”?? No one has mentioned London, Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Dubai so I’ll throw them out there

Right … its exactly like that. The point was to shed some light on cities a little off the beaten path that have a surprising amount of investment jobs. For example, I didn’t learn till recently that Minneapolis is Top 5 in the U.S. for fixed income AUM. Flame away…

There is always equities in Dallas

A little “Liar’s Poker” reference . . . I like it.

I think very few people doubt the fact that best opportunities in investments lie outside of USA.

Neud Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think very few people doubt the fact that best > opportunities in investments lie outside of USA. I wonder about this. Obviously London is a slam dunk, but beyond that? I just got into a top b-school and my gf is trying to get me to move with her to Shanghai when I finish. I don’t speak or read any Chinese (she is fluent in both of the major dialects), and can’t really imagine becoming a successful analyst / PM in that sort of environment. I know English only speakers can get jobs, but can they excel? How will you make useful stock picks if you can’t even read most of the primary documents? Just wondering what you guys think.

Neud Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think very few people doubt the fact that best > opportunities in investments lie outside of USA. Actually, I think a lot of people would doubt that… Also, that is an opinion not a fact.

Well, if “top cities for investment career” mean “work more for less money”, then of course USA is the way to go. It is pretty well known that on average, hours are longest in USA. Secondly, gross salaries and bonuses in USA are lower than in many other countries. Thirdly, taxation in USA is a high-street robbery by all standards. Lastly, experience of working in London or in some emerging markets is currently being looked more favourably upon by employers, as US economy is slowing down a big deal, and business of investment banks, pe firms and such extensively develop outside USA. All in all, the picture is quite clear, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

I think the best ops are in NYC/Connecticut area, but London is obviously a close second. There are many good places to work in the industry outside of the US

I have heard that the research triangle area in NC has a surprising number of AM shops, and IIRC, that’s where the CFA institute is located too.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have heard that the research triangle area in NC > has a surprising number of AM shops, and IIRC, > that’s where the CFA institute is located too. close … http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?13,593174,593174#msg-593174

Are you telling me there are other countries outside of the USA ? Wow…