Top Cities for Investment Careers

Well, to be honest, I have yet to hear some really valid reasons to choose USA over London or some emerging markets in terms of working location. Would be interesting to hear some, if you think they are available.

Neud Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well, to be honest, I have yet to hear some really > valid reasons to choose USA over London or some > emerging markets in terms of working location. > Would be interesting to hear some, if you think > they are available. If you have “an accent” your attractiveness increases about threefold in the US! New York less so.

Neud - you have no idea what you’re talking about. We work more for less money in the U.S.??? Hahaha, that is one of the most ignorant comments I’ve seen on this board in a long time. I’m sure they work less in China and India and get paid a lot more, right?

I would say London first - especially at the moment with the strength of the pound and weakness of dollar. 2. New York Then in no particular order Hong Kong/Tokyo/Dubai/ China is a long shot off at the moment and for Brits/Americans integration can be difficult - much easier to be working in a Anglo Saxon environment- US/UK/Australia/Canada etc…

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Neud - you have no idea what you’re talking about. > We work more for less money in the U.S.??? > Hahaha, that is one of the most ignorant comments > I’ve seen on this board in a long time. I’m sure > they work less in China and India and get paid a > lot more, right? Well, in my country people get paid more on gross terms, and pay several times less in taxes than you (americans) do - that is, if we are talking about front-office roles in bulge bracket investment banks, top PE firms and the like. Hours are shorter also. I don’t really know what you laugh at. For me, it is indeed funny how people may be happy paying 50% of their gross income (which is nominated in weakining dollar) as taxes. You are ignorant, DirtyZ, not me - I know very well what my peers (who work in similar roles in USA) make and how much they work for it. I would not wish to be at their place :slight_smile:

No offense, but I don’t think your peers constitute a perfect sample of the United States investment industry. There are plenty of people making boatloads of money in the US…

Neud Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > DirtyZ Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Neud - you have no idea what you’re talking > about. > > We work more for less money in the U.S.??? > > Hahaha, that is one of the most ignorant > comments > > I’ve seen on this board in a long time. I’m > sure > > they work less in China and India and get paid > a > > lot more, right? > > Well, in my country people get paid more on gross > terms, and pay several times less in taxes than > you (americans) do - that is, if we are talking > about front-office roles in bulge bracket > investment banks, top PE firms and the like. Hours > are shorter also. I don’t really know what you > laugh at. For me, it is indeed funny how people > may be happy paying 50% of their gross income > (which is nominated in weakining dollar) as taxes. > You are ignorant, DirtyZ, not me - I know very > well what my peers (who work in similar roles in > USA) make and how much they work for it. I would > not wish to be at their place :slight_smile: How long do you think the good times will last? You’re in Russia right?

I thot ppl in HK/Shanghai work ridiculous hours… although they pay less in taxes and has lower cost of living.

globaltrade Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would say London first - especially at the > moment with the strength of the pound and weakness > of dollar. > > 2. New York > Agree. I live in NYC but I want to move to London in 3 yrs.

Neud Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well, to be honest, I have yet to hear some really > valid reasons to choose USA over London or some > emerging markets in terms of working location. > Would be interesting to hear some, if you think > they are available. 1. The fall of the dollar, as a long term pheneomna 2. Higher growth in emerging markets and in Asia in general 3. Better travel ops in Europe 4. Better food in Europe 5. Lots of oil in Canada=Lots of money 6. Australia has very good surfing and beaches if your into that sort of thing 7. Carribean has nice weather Not to say that US doesn’t have advantages and the rest of the world disadvantages…just showing the opposite side of the specrtrum

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Neud Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Well, to be honest, I have yet to hear some > really > > valid reasons to choose USA over London or some > > emerging markets in terms of working location. > > Would be interesting to hear some, if you think > > they are available. > > > 1. The fall of the dollar, as a long term > pheneomna > > 2. Higher growth in emerging markets and in Asia > in general > > 3. Better travel ops in Europe > > 4. Better food in Europe > > 5. Lots of oil in Canada=Lots of money > > 6. Australia has very good surfing and beaches if > your into that sort of thing > > 7. Carribean has nice weather > > Not to say that US doesn’t have advantages and the > rest of the world disadvantages…just showing the > opposite side of the specrtrum Hali have you decided on a move? Takes guts but I think you should do it.

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFA_Halifax Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Neud Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Well, to be honest, I have yet to hear some > > really > > > valid reasons to choose USA over London or > some > > > emerging markets in terms of working > location. > > > Would be interesting to hear some, if you > think > > > they are available. > > > > > > 1. The fall of the dollar, as a long term > > pheneomna > > > > 2. Higher growth in emerging markets and in > Asia > > in general > > > > 3. Better travel ops in Europe > > > > 4. Better food in Europe > > > > 5. Lots of oil in Canada=Lots of money > > > > 6. Australia has very good surfing and beaches > if > > your into that sort of thing > > > > 7. Carribean has nice weather > > > > Not to say that US doesn’t have advantages and > the > > rest of the world disadvantages…just showing > the > > opposite side of the specrtrum > > Hali have you decided on a move? Takes guts but I > think you should do it. Well…I’ve actually made contact on a potential I-Banking gig in Calgary which would be quite nice, save for the cold weather. I will keep you posted…

Once you have locked in your career in an emerging market or any foreign exchange, you are pretty much stuck there. Meaning: you may follow technology, but if you do it in China you’ll be stuck in China for the rest of your career. Not my cup of tea, xie xie ni.

For FI in US: 1) NYC 2) Boston 3) LA 4) Chicago 5) Minneapolis 6) Memphis 7) Greenwich, CT 8) Miami 9) Houston 10) SanFran

Really San Fran is that low huh? Ouch…I knew LA was big as per PIMCO.

Great list skiloa - thank you. Anyone have something similar for the equity side?

What’s the overall opinion on Mumbai for a Canadian-trained CFA? Are enough shops opening there that you’re not competing with IIT/IIM grads (or even applicants, for that matter) who grow up doing a year’s worth of a north American student’s homework in a week?

L3 Buckaroo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What’s the overall opinion on Mumbai for a > Canadian-trained CFA? Are enough shops opening > there that you’re not competing with IIT/IIM grads > (or even applicants, for that matter) who grow up > doing a year’s worth of a north American student’s > homework in a week? check this out : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/MNC_banks_pay_higher_compensation/articleshow/2796481.cms

CFA_Halifax Wrote: > > Well…I’ve actually made contact on a potential > I-Banking gig in Calgary which would be quite > nice, save for the cold weather. I will keep you > posted… suck it up, princess :wink:

jeff_s Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFA_Halifax Wrote: > > > > Well…I’ve actually made contact on a > potential > > I-Banking gig in Calgary which would be quite > > nice, save for the cold weather. I will keep > you > > posted… > > suck it up, princess :wink: Hey what can I say, I’ve been spoiled with Maritime cool summers and mild winters!