Exam day and Professional Conduct
Every year a month or so after the exam, I get a bunch of e-mails from people who have been accused of cheating on the CFA exam. I try to help them but there is a limited amount I can do. CFAI is very serious about enforcing the rules and if there is any question about whether you broke the rules, the process is heavily biased toward finding that you did. In particular, here are some important rules:
1) Do not write past when the proctor calls time. Do not finish filling in an oval, darken an existing oval, make corrections to the name sheet, or even keep reading the exam book. When the proctor calls time, immediately drop your pencil and close your exam book.
2) Do not look around the exam room. If you are taking a break or just need to clear your head, close your eyes and look down. I can’t tell you how many people get busted because they let their eyes wander. If a proctor sees you looking in the direction of someone else and they write you up, you are done.
3) Protect your own paper. CFAI is busting innocent (I think) people whose exams bear too much similarity to another exam in the same test center. You definitely care if someone else is copying from you.
4) Do not do anything to your exam ticket. If you write ‘CAPM’ on your exam ticket they will kick you out of the CFA program for 5 years. They really will.
5) Don’t smuggle anything into the exam room. This isn’t just exam aids but really innocuous stuff. There’s a list, read it and follow it and leave the rest of your stuff in the car.
6) Treat the proctors respectfully. OK, so the proctors will never be CFA Charterholders and don’t make nearly as much money as you do. But piss off a proctor and s/he can make your studying for this exam a complete waste of time. Treating people respectfully is a good idea anyway.
7) If there is some problem, do not ever admit to doing something wrong and then try to explain it. If you say “Well I did look at his paper but it was only a passing glance” you might as well just pack up your stuff, go home and forget about the CFA program. You just admitted to a violation and they will bust you for it. Listen respectfully and then deny it if you can honorably, else say nothing.
8) Don’t deliberately cheat like trying to hide your notecards in the bathroom or something. That’s just disgraceful BS. I help out nearly everyone who asks for help on these PCP things, but I have my lines where you are on your own.
Good luck everyone!
I’m Da Church of the faithful, I’m Liao Fengyi, clergywoman mother should have to introduce you to me, I have seen you twice, in which time you are more impressed with everyone I guess in the back of the church at noon to eat noodle face!