what's keeping you busy until july 29??

Besides my time at work, I have discovered guitar hero III on xbox and can’t put it down. …probably the most awesome game of all time and definitely a great way to take my mind off the anticipation of results!

job search

saurya_s Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > job search ditto

Studying for: 1. CAIA L1 in September 2. CMT L1 in October 3. FRM in November

hey hey,i know there are a few canadians on this board…i am from san antonio and will be vacationing in the upper pennisula, i think thats in michigan… any suggestions on what to do or where to go? we like hiking and nature stuff. just curious cause i never been there before

stochastic Calculus (any pointers on what book i can read?)

i just want to know BOSTONKEV how on earth do you have all that time to study for all those exams in one month? i thought a day is 24 hours!?!? or do we have an Einstein amongst us? *one month each

reviewing CFA I material again in case I fail…

@ surveyinn No, not all in one month, that’s what I’ll be studying until July 29th…and beyond until the date of the exams. Don’t tarnish Einstein’s name with even a hint of comparison with mine! :stuck_out_tongue:

Being optimistic purchased CFA L2 books - aiming to acquire financial modeling, valuation and industry knowledge. Focusing on Real Estates Investments…not finding ways and sources to understand and get a command on it. MORE IMPORTANTLY ASKING SILLY QUESTION ON BOARD.

Hey Guys, Slightly off the subject of the post, however i have a query with regards to the exam outlay. Are the exam questions structured in order of the study matetrial or are all the question asked randomly mixed up? I believe providing this information does not infringe on the CFA COS. Thanks

Reineir, The questions are structured in order of the study material. N questions for ethics, then M questions for quant, etc. Also, each of the 120 question "half-"exams for each of the morning and afternoon, will go in the same order.

Alright thanks Kev, that seems to make the proccess alot easier than having to anwser randomly ordered questions.

However, be warned…if you don’t study hard enough, they will seem like they are random questions… :stuck_out_tongue:

Yip, i’m preparing for the worst, and expecting the best. : )

bostonkev Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Studying for: > 1. CAIA L1 in September > 2. CMT L1 in October > 3. FRM in November Nice work Boston. The CAIA and CMT are interesting to me and I do plan to obtain them. At this time though I figure lets be sure Level 1 is cleared before I sign up for anything else. Also the immediate cost is a bit much ($2k for CAIA!). Let me know how those are. I feel tech analysis does have some merit despite the CFAI’s attempt to label it as voodoo.

Hi KJH, CAIA is extremely interesting (I’m doing it for the knowledge, not so much for the credential)…I’m actually planning to supplement my knowledge with readings in J. of Alternative Investments (and a few others). As for technical analysis, I’ve definitely been very skeptical of it myself. In fact, when I first started reading the curriculum, I totally skipped that section and labeled it “CRAP”…no joke. But a few things convinced me to understand it better. Here are some of my observations/comments on technical analysis. 1. Past conversations on AnalystForum…if a PhD in stats, a PhD in econ, and many others think there’s merit to it…then that provides the basis of my first opinion. 2. The idea of information-based market efficiency in its weak form seems to be untenable, and instead is a good ideal model and/or limiting case given infinite trading volume, perfectly disseminated information (perfect information transmission), perfect analysts, etc. 3. The view that technical analysis is applied social psychology seems like a very useful one. Sure, we can’t quantify and compute things to the 3rd or more decimal place like in other fields of finance (fundamental and/or quantitative), but knowing the difference between something that happens “most or all the time” vs. “some of the time”…and placing bigger bets on the former case doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. 4. Related to the former point, every model of the world presupposes certain assumptions that have a domain of validity. Technical analysis certainly wouldn’t work so well in a very high volume, well-known, and highly-followed stock market (basically the limit in which the weak-form info-based efficient market hypothesis would be more correct)…however…what if you are focusing on a more obscure and/or less tracked area of the market…I think you will start to edge more towards technical analysis being effective since markets will be less efficient here. So in the end, I don’t think it’s a good debate about whether or not technical analysis is correct, but how relatively correct it is as you approach one domain and more incorrect as you approach another. 5. Technical analysis is more of an art than a science, and therefore you will have such crap as basing your strategies on the digits of pi, fibonacci numbers, astrology, etc. coming into the field and thereby be used as simple/obvious strawmen for technical analysis detractors to burn. 6. Relating to applied social psychology (this is a stretch I know and very theoretical and disconnected from application - I can be wrong)…in the end, even if the reasons that people move the markets are not mathematically sound ones…perhaps there’s some insight to be gained here because real money caused by false/incorrect ideas is still real money with tangible effects. I’m not sure how this relates to the field of behavioral finance, but I’m starting to read a book now on that subject. [Pompian - Behavioral finance and wealth management] Anyways…my goal is just to absorb as much as possible in the shortest amount of time possible before I have to go into the real working world.

regarding the stochastic calculus, i think there’s a good book by shreve. i think i have a pdf draft of it somewhere.

I’m going to look closer at the CMT if I pass on the 29th. CAIA would be too much of a pinch in my opinion to pass that in about a month of prepatation.

Wow you guys are motivated. I have been drinking and fishing. Enjoying my summer and letting my brain relax for a few months.