Anyone studying or have studied Level II with newborn?

Am I crazy for wanting to take Level II again with a newborn? Thanks.

not at all honeybadger… lets team up

Level one with two year old twins, preparing for level two with twins plus a new born. Nap times become study times and if you are fortunate to have a career as well you talk to your staff and schedule study time at the office.

I tried studying with a newborn last year but she kept getting confused on the differences in pension asset/liability reporting between US GAAP and IFRS. Plus, she spit up all over my flashcards.

Just kidding… good luck to all of you!

I wouldn’t mind teaming up with someone who is dedicated to getting through this beast. I am about to order the books and get going on this end. I am thinking of attacking the sections that are the heaviest weighting on the exam first, so it is looking like FRA is my first task. I think I can dedicate up to two hours a night to studying most nights for at least 10 hours a week. How about you?

thats good plan honeybager… i will also manage to get my books in two weeks…

we can coordinate our studies… skype me gypsy.182

im going to try to send you an email as well…

Depends on the newborn(s).

I passed level 1 in June 2010. We had twins in January 2011. I decided not to sit for the June 2011 level 2 exam back in October 2010 when we first found out we were having twins. But I did start studying for the June 2012 exam in November 2011 when they were about 10 months old and passed in June 2012 when they were about a 1.5 years old.

I’m really glad I took off that first year, there’s no way I could have done the June 2011 exam especially with all the sleep deprivation. I so tired I was really dumb that first year after they were born. For example, I went to work once without combing my hair after I showered, or I’d take the bus home even though I drove that day.

For the 2012 test, I managed to study by going in to work early, doing some at night after they went to bed, and having someone help for a few hours every Saturday and Sunday while I physicially went into my work just to study.

If you already have kids I’d say go ahead and try it with your newborn. If it’s your first kid I’d say sit this year out and wait one more. There’s so much change and stress you don’t want to add CFA to it until it all settles down and you are used to it. Plus level 2 is tough.

My first child (Tadhg) was born in January 2012. I passed Level 1 in June, it makes things a little more difficult and you will need a supportive partner but it is possible.

I’ve got a new baby due in November (and have a 2 year old already) and am planning on studying for L2 this year. Will probably sign up with CFA next week and start studying late September.

The way I see it is that I might fail (baby or no baby), but I might as well try, if I fail I’ll just take it again next year. Now that I have a family, there’s always going to be excuses, so I’m just going for it and not making excuses.

I know it’s the not really the winning spirit, but I’m kinda expecting to fail L2 first time even though I passed L1 first time. I think it was the fear of failing L1 that made me pass. L2 sounds like a real beast though so I’m very afraid and not looking forward to the suffering that’s coming up.

Thanks all for sharing your stories. It sounds like I really need to manage my time well.

I had a baby in Feb and passed level II in June. I studied a lot before the baby, took a month off when he was born to physically recover and then studied/reviewed. It was our third so I knew what I was getting into. Studying for level III this year should be a lot easier.

Respect. You must have incredible time management skills.

Congrats to you all with your incoming (recent or future!). I too have one coming in mid November, and am definitely nervous about the impact for Level II in June.

I did self-study for Level I, but I think I’m really going to need to take a prep course to keep me focused. Anyone else thinking of doing that?

Also, I’m NYC based, so I’m more than happy to group up with any newly minted (or reminted) moms and dads for prep.

You are all so grown up…i feel like a fool :-/

I’m expecting in January so I’m trying to get through as much material as I can before the baby comes,

I need to clear CFA/FRM before i get in to this mess… :stuck_out_tongue: thanx to all for warning me well-well in advance… :slight_smile: and all the best ! you are real warriors… :slight_smile:

Wow. Your professor must be really amazing!!! He let you so impressed that you never forget to advertise him in every single post. I’m also pleased that he is somebody ethical, who would never spam the forum with any kind of unpaid advertising.

Could you please share his name publicly so we can finally know who this amazing guy is? In this way, many more people may be able to succed in the exam with the help of his invaluable services.

On topic, much props to anybody juggling a new kid with the CFA. Actually, much props for juggling a new kid with anything! I just hope I can keep my sanity once I have my own.

Why so mean? I apologize in advance if you turn up to be a real regular poster in the future.

If you’re for real, I think you’ll have a better shot to help both your teacher and candidates if you keep the advice in more related threads (how to prepare and others like that).

well how about one 4.5 yrs old boy and one 2 yrs old girl. working fulltime and only working member of family. Going to kill L II in 2013(i hope). lets start studing. happy studing all

New born is easier to deal than a toddler or older if you know how to care a baby.