Discrepancy b/w Schweser mock scores & CFAI mock score

I was feeling real good scoring ~85-88% on schweser mocks (Volume 1 & 2) and just did the CFAI AM mock and scored a 76%… CFAI mock seemed WAAY harder… no freebies. I even found it harder than the topic tests. Thoughts on what difficulty to expect? Closer to CFAI mock or schweser? I would expect this CFAI mock.

I am not sure what to expect for the real exam but Schweser is definitely easier than CFA stuff. I just finished a schweser mock and scored 82%. I am doing the real mock tomorrow and I know for sure I won’t even get close to that. I got destroyed on many topic tests in the last few days so I know my schweser score isnt very representative of how ready I am. By the way, if you’re scoring 76% on the mock, you’re good to go man. That’s a very good score.

Thanks for your response - I mean, if you need a 68-70% to pass, a 76% is not tons of breathing room. I was just really excited about getting mid to high 80s on schweser haha and thought I was set. If the real exam is even slightly tougher than their mock… it’s going to be tough.

Not a lot of people score in the 70s in the mock here. Im pretty sure you’re ready! Keep it up!

it looks like a massive overkill to me, it seems to me that you are over allocating your resources (time) to the exam. But of course, its CFA level 2 and everyone wants to be over prepared than to under prepared. It is said that the real exam would be easier than CFAI mock and TT, can some one confirm? any l3 candidates or l2 retakers? If the real thing is indeed easier than you will walk though it like nothing.

If this is the level expected in the exam. Schweser did a very poor job.

schweser tests you on the concepts,

CFAI tests you on not only the concepts, but your logic and reading comprehension (of the vignette). they don’t want charterholders who only memorize.

If I purchase extra practise exams, I expect practise exams.

I’m not talking about concept checkers or QBank. The practise exams should approach the actual thing. Last year it was a lot more similar though. I cannot understand how difficult the CFAI Mocks are this years.

That’s what is confusing to me - last year CFA L1 - the schweser practice exams were a good representation of the actual exam and similar to the cfai mock exam difficulty.

This year L2 - the schweser exams are quite a bit easier than the mock. 76% is by no means overkill in my opinion… If the mock is representative of the actual exam. I wish any L2 retakers or passers could comment.

Thanks for the responses, all.

Your scores are really high. If these scores are at your first attempt, you will pass the official exam for sure.

I have an average 69.03% over 6 Schweser mocks and only 60% on CFAI mock. People said that the CFAI mock is 130% more difficult than the official, so in my opinion it can not be used to measure the performance.

My weakness is the comprehension, I know how solve the problem but always pick the wrong data. I hope the official exam is more straight forward as people said.

I have scores close to yours PierreCFA

I thing that you can score in the mid 60 and still pass

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/cfa-level-2-does-not-require-70

I am a retaker, and the CFAI mocks last year were by no means as difficult as they are now, in my opinion.

Schweser Mocks last year were more difficult compared to CFAI, but some were more or less on par.

The actual exam last year was about comparable to either CFAI Mocks and Schweser mocks.

The discrepancy between CFAI and Schweser this year is significant.

I stopped looking at the CFAI mocks, as the gain implied in ‘real/official practise’ as opposed to my loss of confidence and good spirit, is not worth it. CFAI mocks seem to test my memory much more than my ability to use and understand the concepts. The latter being exactly what the actual exam wants to test…I believe!

I would disagree with you, it is schweser testing your memory, not CFAI mock. In schweser if you know how to compute a math question you will get it right. In CFAI you need to know all the concepts behind in order to know how to do the calculation, and the calculations are much easier. The biggest difference is in the concept questions, those “which one is least likely correct” in schweser are so obvious and if you remember wt you seen in your schweser notes you will get it right. On the other hand, CFAI likes to reword everything and you really need to know the concept behind instead of memorizing the statement.

However, from what i heard, most ppl would say the real thing is easier, if the real thing is not easier than the CFAI mocks, then there could be some problem for me…

I sometimes wonder if this reading comprehension is a question of proper English or of intelligence?

English is not my first language, and I don’t consider myself an unintelligent person. I even think my English is adequate, yet while I never have a problem in understanding an explanation or a question in Schweser, I often have to read twice (or more times) something in the curriculum to make sure I understand.

I mean is Schweser such basic language?

In the CFAI mock my score was 61% which is very poor, but when reviewing, it still was a challenge for me to clearly understand everything and to find the necessary information. For me the way the vignettes in the mock were written are too high level.

Same here.

I am not sure as to how indicative Schweser mocks are in relation to our real (not nominal haha) readiness for just one reason. Each mock focuses only on 1-2 parts of each topic area. What I mean - take for example V2 - 2 - AM from the Schweser. The econ questions are only on growth - neoclassical g theory, SROs, labor productivity, etc. Even if there is another vignette on econ in the PM there is plenty of untested material. Same goes for equity, derivatives, etc etc… I don’t know what is the ratio on breadth vs depth in relation to the real exam. If CFAI wants to have the same depth on the whole material means the real exam would a whole lot more difficult

I might be totally wrong. What do you think?

I’m not a native English speaker either, but thankfully over-exposure to English language online (through tv shows, games, youtube) allows me to use it decently. I think comprehension is a mix of both intelligence and English ability (even then, without intelligence, one’s English ability might be compromised) and if you are having trouble, you should definitely google tips on reading comprehension.

Schweser, basic language? Not quite, but I can feel there’s a significant difference between Schweser and CFAI mock. What I like about Schweser is the amount of practice you can get and the breadth of things it test. There’s 6 set of exams over 2 volumes! CFAI only provides 1!

Nevertheless, we don’t know how the real exam is going to be, speculating by now is just pointless unless there’s enough statistical data to support such speculation. Forget anecdotes (heck you should take what I said with a grain of salt too). Just give your best and I’ll see you in the CFA Level III forum.

Edit: regarding with what you quoted me for, that is how I feel is different between schweser mock and cfai mock.

Not a bad idea at all to somehow improve reading comprehension. I will do it regardless of the exam outcome!

goodluck90 from what I understand, you were saying last year’s actual exam was similar to last year’s CFAI mock exam which is easier than this year’s mock exam.

Maybe this year’s actual exam will be similar to this year’s mock exam… which means it will be tougher.

goodluck90 from what I understand, you were saying last year’s actual exam was similar to last year’s CFAI mock exam which is easier than this year’s mock exam.

Maybe this year’s actual exam will be similar to this year’s mock exam… which means it will be tougher.