Retakers

Just curious to know for the retakers, what were you scoring on your mocks last time you took the exam?

80s -> Band 9

you were scoring in the 80s on mocks but you failed? why does it say you are a level i candidate? i am referring to level ii

Yep :/

I haven’t updated my profile. See you tomorrow and good luck!  

i think im gonna have to call BS….80% on mocks and you failed? What were the extenuating circumstances?

As for me, I also failed band 9….scored 55, 58 and 60 on the 3 mocks I took.

This year, i have taken 3.5 schweser mocks: 55, 69, 76 (with the 55 hopefully being the outlier) and have completed every single topic test for an aggregate score of 304/450 (67%). For the record, I found the TTs to be very difficult and was continuously surprised to see “4/6” at the top of the screen.

I took half a mock last night, and frankly was a little rattled by my 40/60. It was largely due to a 1/6 i got on Alternatives (4 friggin commodity questions in a row!).

I keep telling myself that a 66% is a clear pass, which frankly, it is……but like….I cant say with absolute confidence that ill pass

I am in the same boat as you… i am band 8 retaker.

But last year, i wasnt that prepared with quant and portfolio management and i sucked in the economics currency arbitrage. But i have worked on all those fronts this year. Did all the topic test than compared to last year i had done 30%. 

I am still not scoring that high in mocks but lets see what happens…

All the best to everyone!!!

3rd Time retaker.

2015- Band 5

2016 - Band 9

Praying that I get over the line this time around :) 

First time retaker,

last year I was scoring aroung 65-67% on mocks (did only 3). Failed band 10.

This year I was scoring around 70% (did 6 Moks), but I am not so happy although I found the exam to be fair and quite easy: I already counted around 4-5 stupid errors I did in the exam…

This further enhances my view that the MPS for level 2 is around the 68-70 mark

Last year I scored in the 50s on all the Schweser mocks I took and scored a 57 on the CFAI Mock exam, failed Band 6.  This year took 3 Schweser mocks scored between 62-70 and scored 65 on the CFAI mock exam. I spent the majority of my time doing the topic tests (did every one at least 3x).  

2016 band 10 retaker…im either band 10 again or I pass this time..failed ethics last time round..

Can you post your score matrix? would love to have a look at it please

Q#

Topic

Max Pts

<=50%

51%-70%

>70%

-

Alternative Investments

-

-

-

Corporate Finance

-

-

-

Derivatives

-

-

-

Economics

-

-

-

Equity Investments

-

-

-

Ethical & Professional Standards

-

-

-

Financial Reporting & Analysis

-

-

-

Fixed Income Investments

-

-

-

Portfolio Management

-

-

-

Quantitative Methods

-

-

if your ethic was in mid range, then you could have passed

Band 3 the first time. Band 6 the second. This year, mocks were between 55% and 65% – I did 7. Im certain I failed as I got crushed on FI and Derivatives. Ethics helps me get a bump (I usually score between 70 and 90 percent), but this year I was stunned by the questions. 66% Ethics score would be a victory. There’s no way I scored above 63% overall. 

I was Band 5 first time, last year, Band 9, taking only took 3 CFAI mocs.  Last year, passed FI and EQ, but failed FRA, so that sunk me.  I think this year’s exam was comparable to last year, except FI was much harder for some reason, and sure I failed it.  But this year, I feel like I did pretty well on FRA, EQ, and CF so that may help.  It will be a close call either way.  I did 6 Kaplan mocks, and 1 CFA this time.

Last year I got in Band 8 and I believe on the CFAI mock I got a 57 or 58 (can’t find it to tell exactly).  Based on the results of the exam, I think I got about that on the real thing.  This year I got a 66 on the CFAI mock (should’ve been 70 if not for a few boneheaded mistakes) and feel good about how I did on the test.  If the MPS is about 63-65 and I did as good as I did on the mock, then I think I’m good…

ikr…..
that is why this exam matters much more to me than last year attempt. Having did like 9 mocks + all the topical questions in CFAI website, I certainly feel much prepared.

I will really recommend everyone to do the topical questions in the CFAI website for the guys taking the exam! Tough and close to exam standard!

Band 6 last year. Put in a lot more time drilling through the questions this time around. 

Scored low 60, mid 60 and low 70 on schweser volume 1, then high 50 on CFA mock.

I think I am band 8 or 9 this time around…

keroppi3785 wrote:

Band 6 last year. Put in a lot more time drilling through the questions this time around. 

Scored low 60, mid 60 and low 70 on schweser volume 1, then high 50 on CFA mock.

I think I am band 8 or 9 this time around…

Why so pessimistic? To me it looks as though your mock scores have improved gradually and to be fair your last Schweser score is the most relevant one (because if you had done the other two Schweser mocks again, you`d have probably scored higher than low 60s.

I would not place much emphasis on the CFA I mock score. In my opinion, it was very different from the real exam.

Same goes for topic tests scores. They are certainly a great tool to reinforce certain concepts, but not representative of the real exam.

How did you feel about the exam? I do not see why you could not pass with such decent mock scores. You definitely have a good chance.

I am a band 9 retaker….

All below stats in Scweser and CFAI TTs. I did NOT take CFAI mock either year, nor did I open up the CFAI books in either year do do EOCs. 

2016 stats: two full mocks: 55% and 58%. mostly 3s/4s on topic tests. only took equity and FRA topic tests. RESULT: Band 9

2017 stats: 4 Full mocks: 55%, 69%, 76%, 65%. then the day before the exam, a half mock which filled me with confidence: 47/60. Took every single topic test throughout May, aggregate score of 304/450 (67%). 

gun to my head, i think i passed (knock on wood) but it is by no means impossible for me to have failed. I found the exam to be difficult, but not more difficult than most schwesers, and significantly EASIER than the topic tests. the strongest case you can make for me passing is exactly that: I ripped a 67% on the topic tests and took every single one, which is a large sample size of questions (450

The biggest case you can make for me failing, is that I guessed alot on the real thing. only 15 BLIND guesses (expected value of .333) but at least 30-40 questions that were up in the air between 2 choices. Then again, it felt that way on every mock i took. it felt like i was guessing so much, and yet at the end after the dust would settle, i would somehow have a 42/60 and be happy….

I think thats the moral of the story here for my fellow retakers who felt alot better this year. if youre low 70s mocks, there is a very slim probability of you failing. I really think schweser does a great job of prepping us, and their practice exams are a brilliant proxy for how you will preform. If anything i would even venture to say that some schwesers (especially in VOLUME TWO) are more difficult than the real thing. 

I found the level of the exam was closer to Schweser Vol 1 or IFT mocks(barring Ethics).But the biggest difference was in the options. CFAI spent time to create options.If you make a mistake in mocks you wont probably find an option, but in real exam will have one. 

If i consider my avg score across mocks and TTs i should have passed it. But wondering if fatigue played a role in the second half. Worked hard this time and am keeping my fingers crossed. I think a raw score of 78-80 must be a pass.

Magina, the Antimage II Never ever give up!!

Deal_Clincher wrote:

I found the level of the exam was closer to Schweser Vol 1 or IFT mocks(barring Ethics).But the biggest difference was in the options. CFAI spent time to create options.If you make a mistake in mocks you wont probably find an option, but in real exam will have one. 

If i consider my avg score across mocks and TTs i should have passed it. But wondering if fatigue played a role in the second half. Worked hard this time and am keeping my fingers crossed. I think a raw score of 78-80 must be a pass.

A raw score of 78-80 put you in an elite percentile. Let’s be real here. What do you mean by options? As in options contracts?

Iprofit4sure wrote:

Deal_Clincher wrote:

A raw score of 78-80 put you in an elite percentile. Let’s be real here. What do you mean by options? As in options contracts?

He means that the actual test considered common mistakes when coming up with their multiple choice answer options.

Do we have information regarding the proportion of “retakers” for each level ? The pass rate for first takers vs. for retakers ?

Iprofit4sure wrote:

Deal_Clincher wrote:

I meant 78-80/120 or 65% -66.7% 

CFAI took time creating answer choices. Even TTs will fall short here. They exactly knew where candidates may get confused.

Deal_Clincher wrote:

Iprofit4sure wrote:

Deal_Clincher wrote:

I meant 78-80/120 or 65% -66.7% 

CFAI took time creating answer choices. Even TTs will fall short here. They exactly knew where candidates may get confused.

High 60’s is a great spot to be in going into the exam. I think most people know it is do or die so their best showing comes through. Obviously if you are much stronger in other areas and not in others with those averages, then you could get unlucky on test day but 4/6 evenly spread through a mock is a pass i’d have to think.

I don’t think I really saw anything out of the norm though for how CFAI likes to test on the real day. Couple vignettes seemed random though. One seemed like it got included from the wrong level’s curriculum I thought, but other than that, straight forward. 

So what according to you is MPS this year..a guess. Also what do you mean by elite percentile..top 1,5,10??? Please answer

Band 8 last year, Schweser mocks: 55/55, 77/57, 65/55, 70/65

Schweser mocks this year: 62/70, 85/63, 63/77

Felt much more prepared this year and there wasn’t a single question on the real test that I hadn’t at least seen before. Was weak in FRA and Derivatives but not so weak that I didn’t have a clue on them. I actually thought this year’s test content wise was more difficult despite being more prepared. Last year coming from level 1 December I just didn’t have enough time. You don’t get the result until almost Feb and being a first time taker I wasn’t so confident that I was ready to order materials early. I also started a new job that March, so I just didn’t have enough time to prep thoroughly. Started early Jan this year and that was more than enough time to stick to my timeline. Also prepped from the CFAI books and I think that made a big difference compared to relying on Kaplan last year. 

Finished the first half in 1.5 hours, felt very confident, reviewed every answer twice just to be sure. Estimated 45/60 that I felt I knew for sure and I also felt good about my answers on the ones I wasn’t 100% sure about although I included those in the 15. Only one was a complete guess. Second half finished in roughly 2 and 15. Found the second half much tougher, tested the more obscure topics. Still went through all my answers again and changed quite a few, two of them I changed to the wrong answer, but those were included in my unsure set. Estimated 39/60 on that half but was much less sure about the unsure group, I’d say maybe 3 of them were complete guesses. 

So if I assume that I got 90% of the ones I was sure about correct that’s 75. Assume 1/3 of the unsure ones even though they were not random guesses that gives me 12 more. Subtract the two that I know I for sure got wrong (brings me to 10) and that gives me 85/120 = 70.83%. If you want to be more pessimistic and say I only got 80% of the ones I thought I was sure about that leaves me with a 77/120 = 64.17%. More optimistic would be to assume I got all of the ones I was sure about right 94/120 = 78.33%. I believe that this range is most likely where my score lies with the base estimate being a 70%. So I think I have a good shot at passing but I also could have fallen slightly short. Tough to be confident about a test that fails over 50% of the people that take it, especially at this level when the people that are taking it have already passed a test with similar odds. I wish everyone here luck, it sucked getting that email last year, hoping this year’s is a little more pleasant.

your mock scores last year scare the HELL outta me. Makes me think that I was lucky to get Band 9, and my actual level of competency was much lower.

those are awfully high mock scores for a Band 8 Fail….

youre telling me you got a 67.5% on a full exam last year and then a 46/60 on a half exam (the 77%) and still failed?!?!

Tommyjohn wrote:

your mock scores last year scare the HELL outta me. Makes me think that I was lucky to get Band 9, and my actual level of competency was much lower.

those are awfully high mock scores for a Band 8 Fail….

youre telling me you got a 67.5% on a full exam last year and then a 46/60 on a half exam (the 77%) and still failed?!?!

Mock and real exam are very different friend. Probably he was unlucky to fail. Chill now, you did your job.