Should I quit?

Hey guys…didnt want to start my posts on this forum on such a negative note and regret doing that… but cant help it… I am only done with 50% of the course (first reading) with most imp topics (FSA,Equities), FI and Eco still untouched…am under panic attack n am not able to study beyond 10 pages in all since the past 5 days…I always think abt quitting but end up reading 1-2 pages but not beyond that…what should I do? Can I still make it if i crush the negative mind? Another demotivating factor is that i am in IT and dont know where I will end up after taking these tests…I know you all have been very helpful to each other, so I would be interested in your inputs.

Never quit. If you happen to falter while giving it your best shot then so be it. Throw out all the negativity and just start reading. Maybe schedule a couple of days off from work and do marathon study sessions. If you are 100% sure you won’t enter finance then maybe that’s another story. But if that option is still on the table then study your ass off. I had to grapple with my fair share of demons while studying for LI (broke up w/ the gf of 4 years, hated my job, social life took a nosedive as a result of having mutual friends). It’s worth it in the end. Best of luck.

Dude, my life is a perpetual panic attack, and it will be for another 20 years, get used to it. There are ~ 9.5 weeks before the exam. Unless you’ve got a ton of free time, I would budget 6 weeks of review. You say you have 50% of the material to go? Honestly, Economics took me 2 days since it was a lot of old material, FI you could conservatively get done in 5 days). You could finish up in 3.5 weeks to let you review, but ask yourself: If I put in 9.5 weeks of a ton of work and no life plus a job plus uncertainty with where you want to go in life you may feel like crap if you find out you failed, cause that 9.5 weeks of your life isn’t coming back. Do it for the right reasons and you’ll have no trouble getting it done.

Stick with it, Lichi. You’ve come this far (passed Level I and half of Level II). Of course you don’t know where this is going to take you – nobody knows how and where their career will progress. But the reasons you are taking this exam must be to open up opportunities that may not otherwise be available to you. It’s impossible to say if anything we do will “matter” (if it will have a lasting long term impact on our future), because the future is just plain unknowable. But I do know this – everything we do does count! It is far from too late. There are well over TWO WHOLE months left before the exam. Way too early to call it quits.

I agree, with two months to go, no reason to quit now. That is plenty of time to get through the rest of the topics and review. Just get your game face on.

I am in a similar situation rite now Lichi. Very low on morals, motivation is seldom to find, was planning to call it a quit and pursue L2 in June-09. But then, just decided to hold on for next 70 days or so and give in my best… though I am completely burnt out, coming from L1 in Dec to L2 in June (And I did over-study for L1 just to manage to pass), I don’t think I can give in similar kind of hours for L2 (which seems to be L1 on steroids, every topic here is beaten to brutality). But after hearing to some valuable advice from the AF’ers, I think what’s another 70 days, when I have already dumped 365 days in (black) hole of uncertainties.

Thanks guys…that was very encouraging…i am trying to collect some courage now…hope to get well soon and restart.

Don’t quit now, you will likely look back and say “what if”…I am only through 15% of the topics so far and others are behind you too. Keep your head down…you can do it.

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am in a similar situation rite now Lichi. Very > low on morals, Shouldn’t be a problem except with Ethics, maybe!

plyon Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dinesh.sundrani Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I am in a similar situation rite now Lichi. > Very > > low on morals, > > Shouldn’t be a problem except with Ethics, maybe! Ethics??? I haven’t even seen what’s there in L2-Ethics.

Dinesh…that was a joke!! You are not low on ‘morals’…you have low spirits (as i do)

ohh my … finally got the joke!! They say - Oppurtunity, Pressure and Attitute are the 3 main reasons for fraud :wink:

Also remember that the individuals on AF are generally well prepared and ahead of most people studying for this exam. We are not your “average” CFA candidate. I am sure you are ahead of lots of people planning on taking the test in June. Consider that most of us spend considerable amounts of time on a online forum focused on this exam…well, most people do not. And on that note, I feel like a beer (except I still need to finish SS12 and do a 30 question quiz)…damn the CFA exam.

Lichi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks guys…that was very encouraging…i am > trying to collect some courage now…hope to get > well soon and restart. If you can afford it, I would suggest switching to Schweser at this point. That will speed up getting through the material as opposed to the CFAI books.

Don’t quit. I started Feb 1 and took 3 weeks off because of work. I am exactly where you are and am quite confident that I will have enough time to catch up and pass the exam. Think positive and positive things will happen. Here’s a story for you to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Engine_That_Could As for the IT thing – I don’t like my career path (insurance) and I sincerely believe that this exam will help me get to my ultimate goal. I know 2 people who have recently transitioned into research roles after they completed the level II exam - one being a former colleague of mine with similarly unimpressive credentials. Who knows, the current financial shortfalls may result in demand for Valuation personal similar to the growth in auditor demand following the enactment of SOX - I am just trying to think positive about job outlook despite the employment outlook in the financial sector.

I am (or was) in a similar position earlier this spring. I haven’t quit just yet but I’ve rescheduled for 2009. Sad, but it’s not always possible (or even the best choice) to “double up”. I once was in IT too.

I’m thinking about quitting myself, but closer to June 7th around noon.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m thinking about quitting myself, but closer to > June 7th around noon. Halfway through the exam?

Yes, halfway through the exam, and no, i am not serious.

even if you can’t finish100%, you should write the exam. Since you paid and this is nonrefundable. if u think ur good at , say only first 10 study session, then go in and give yourself a real test on the first 10 study session to gain the experience. the next yr u come back u ll be at a much better ground to assess your ability to pass to exam.