Prep to get your charter

Just a suggestion For those of you who have enough experience but haven’t had it validated, this is the time to go thru that and join the local chapter and CFAI. That way when you pass you can beat the big rush/backlog.

Hey Super! Haven’t seen you in forever. Thanks for the tip.

^downside, though, is if for whatever reason you don’t pass, then you’re stuck paying fees to be a member until you do pass. If you’re not in a rush to get the charter, it may be worth waiting.

bhill020 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^downside, though, is if for whatever reason you > don’t pass, then you’re stuck paying fees to be a > member until you do pass. If you’re not in a rush > to get the charter, it may be worth waiting. The beauty of having an employer who pays membership dues :slight_smile: If you are confident you passed (or your employer will pay), don’t forget the local chapter registration. NYSSA takes months to process, not sure how other cities are.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey Super! Haven’t seen you in forever. > > Thanks for the tip. I’ve been a bit less active lately. Suddenly my bosses expect me to actually work during the day.

think i’m going to do it…

probably next year!

Just in case you don’t get the charter, I’ve included the stages of grief counseling: 1. SHOCK & DENIAL- You will probably react to learning of the loss with numbed disbelief. You may deny the reality of the loss at some level, in order to avoid the pain. Shock provides emotional protection from being overwhelmed all at once. This may last for weeks. 2. PAIN & GUILT- As the shock wears off, it is replaced with the suffering of unbelievable pain. Although excruciating and almost unbearable, it is important that you experience the pain fully, and not hide it, avoid it or escape from it . Life feels chaotic and scary during this phase. 3. ANGER & BARGAINING- Frustration gives way to anger, and you may lash out and lay unwarranted blame for the death on someone else. (i.e. a grader) Please try to control this. You may rail against fate, questioning “Why me?” You may also try to bargain in vain. 4. “DEPRESSION”, REFLECTION, LONELINESS- Just when your friends may think you should be getting on with your life, a long period of sad reflection will likely overtake you. This is a normal stage of grief. During this time, you finally realize the true magnitude of your loss, and it depresses you. You may isolate yourself on purpose, reflect on things you did with your lost one, and focus on memories of the past. You may sense feelings of emptiness or despair. 5. THE UPWARD TURN- As you start to adjust to life, your life becomes a little calmer and more organized. Your physical symptoms lessen, and your “depression” begins to lift slightly. 6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH- As you become more functional, your mind starts working again, and you will find yourself seeking realistic solutions to problems posed by life without your loved one. You will start to work on practical and financial problems and reconstructing yourself and your life without him or her. 7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE- During this, the last of the seven stages in this grief model, you learn to accept and deal with the reality of your situation. Acceptance does not necessarily mean instant happiness. Given the pain and turmoil you have experienced, you can never return to the carefree, untroubled YOU that existed before this tragedy. But you will find a way forward. This is when you re-register for hte exam. I hope none of us have to take this advice. It’s here just in case.

I’d go straight to 4 and stay there for a few years… to be honest though, I actually would not be shocked if i didn’t pass. lot of smart people took the test and someone’s got to fail. fasted, so are you not going to join before results? trust me, i’m never the one to “call” it. (outside of the pledge), but i just want to get it out of the way…

I actually joined as a regular member back in March. It was a good time to do it because it was a very quick, and I didn’t have to pay anything because it was so close to the time for renewal. I’m giving myself a slightly better than 50/50 chance of passing. This is mainly due to the fact that I am very critical of my performance in the am, but believe I didn’t much better in the afternoon. Mcleod made a point that if we pass and are regular members we can begin using the CFA letters immediately. Given how smart McLeod is, I don’t doubt him but that was the first time I had heard that intel.

i’ve officially applied. my sponsors both submitted what they needed to. i hope my 10 years experience at McDonald’s analyzing french fries is sufficient work experience.

Did MacD’s get TARP cash?

no. our fries our delicious and business is great. from what i can tell from the drive through, at least.

I’ve been there to get 49Cent cones everyday since exam day.

ahhh, yes, fasted. you may also want to try our caramel sundaes for 99 cents.

I caved and submitted. I read that once approved, you have to “activate” your membership. So I’ll just look for the approval, then activate if I pass.

CFASF1 - My wife got the caramel sundae the other night with extra topping. I do recommend this.

FastEd: How come you didn’t have to pay the fees in March? Any trick? I became a regular member in March this year and they charged me full $290. It was a mistake from my side. I was under impression that the dues are going to cover a full year. They sent me a renewal letter this month. What a rip off…

Vegas - it was strange. I emailed them and asked what the deal was because it looked like I had to pay, then it skipped that part and said I was good to go. I looked back at my records and I actually didn’t have everything done until very early in April. All of my approvals for work experience etc were done in March. I would definitley inquire further with them, because at the very least your dues should be pro rata, I would think.

FastEd: That is it. If you become a member in the last quarter of an year, you need not to pay dues. They never say this any where. I became a member in March and paid full amount. :frowning: