Is it normal to feel totally under-prepared?

Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Guess I feel the same everytime prior to the exam but L3 just takes so much work because how different AM PM sections are

Absolutely. I failed in 2015, but passed in 2016. I didn’t feel under-prepared in 2015…I knew I was (new job + some bad personal decisions). In 2016 I felt I was under-prepared but passed pretty easily based on my matrix.

Good luck…you have come this far…let the chips fall where they may!

How were you scoring on mocks comparatively in 2015 / 2016? I know mocks are only one frame of reference, but my scores flux wildly from one to another (60% vs. 75%)

i did 6 morning real tests, scores varies around 60-69 percent, i did 3 full mocks, so about 6 afternoon sessions, scored from 55%-78%, so i am just…shrugging

I really can’t say because 2015 is still a blur to me (with some moments of clarity). For 2016 I was 4-5/6 on topic tests and high 60s on self graded AM mocks. For PM I was in the low 70s. I kept drilling on the topics I knew I would struggle on.

Is it normal to feel abnormally? I bet over 98 % of candidates (including me) are nervous as hell.

@Flashback I wake up in nervous sweats nightly at this point

Nervous - no. Apprehensive - yes, mainly because I realize that the AM is very volatile for almost all candidates, myself included, so my score may be above 70 on an exam suited to my strengths but 50-55 in case of a “horror-show”. While a good PM score is what gets most people through, I really think one would need over 80% int he PM to be reasonably relaxed about the AM, and I think most people, if they are honest with themselves, realize 80% is not easily achieved (I’m guessing on the real exam fewer than 10% of candidates will get there, based on past PM score matrices, where you would literally need to get >70 on all the PM for this to happen) - there are just too many ways to lose points … so, there are very few candidates who will go in to this relaxed.

IMHO, most normal passers probably manage to scrape their way to a 55-65 AM score and then manage to get 65-70 in the PM, which should give a mid to high 60s total score, which I think is sufficient to pass (most years people say the MPS is 60-65). I have seen virtually identical 40/60/80 matrices of past L3 takers and the margin is really very small, so we need to put in our best effort and hope it is enough on the day.

Since we have all put in the time, we might as well battle for 6 hours in the hopes of smiling in August. Best of luck to all of us!

Cant agree more :slight_smile:

In my language we call it being nervous however.

Nervous? Yes

Under-prepared? No

#goodluck

#ThanksComrade

the exam has to be rigged… how do kids in Africa and Pakistan pass this?

If you don’t feel at least a little nervous, you are underestimating the exam. 3 days, baby.

I have studied my friggin brains out and still feel like there is a ton I don’t know or just make stupid mistakes on… Thus is the life of a CFA candidate at any level…

And in terms of nerves, I would say that it is more anxiety… I just want to get this over with but don’t want to yet because I need more time to study! But it will be so nice when it is done, but not if I don’t pass!!! Best part is we won’t even know until August!!

I am not an anxious person, but CFA certainly brings any anxiety potential I do have straight out of me… HAHA

By working one’s ass off much harder fighting against many extra odds that native english speakers and candidates in developed states do not have to worry about :slight_smile:

A lot of cheating has been known to take place, as well.

#WindowsOfOpportunity

I really hope this can all be done with my friend haha we have come a long way

This can’t be real, can it?

This is for real!! but not for CFA though