Exam date 23rd June?

Anyone seen the 2018 exam dates? It’s on 23rd? Could anyone know why?

From what I’ve heard, it’s to accommodate Ramadan. I guess it was a pretty big issue this year with all the fasting around test time, which is understandable.

Ohhh thanks

My God…is this true? If so, I better pass this year so I don’t have to retake in 2018. It’s bad enough that our springs (at least in the Northern Hemisphere) are occupied studying for this damn test, let alone taking a few more weeks to accommodate a small minority of test takers. What’s next, moving the test day to a Friday to accommodate Orthodox Jews?

Strange that they move it next year but kept it first Sat of June this year… must have either been caught unaware this time, received a lot of complaints or perhaps observed below normal scores from predominantly Muslim test centers?

Confirmed it is due to Ramadan: https://twitter.com/CFAinstitute/status/890269813007843331

They just need to make it available twice a year at least. The rooms can get just that big. In major hubs, thousands of people have to be crowded in those places. There is no reason whatsoever for the test to be offered once a year, except legacy and bragging rights. The participation has grown so much, they simply can’t ignore it any longer.

Something unimaginable! I could not believe and rechecked CFA Institute site. It’s true.

Why! It always was first Saturday. Nothing prevented jews to participate.

Ramadan is a moving target. What if it falls on results release? Move it as well to allow muslims to celebrate?..

And I would understand say one week, but THREE! This is bizarre. I am shocked. There are dozens if not hundreds catholic and Russian orthodox religious holidays and they fall on whatever day they fall and noone generally cares. And Chinese with tens of thousand students also have a say.

The worst, all this moves results to mid August for levels I and II and to the very end of August for level III.

I think that’s a good point, but I do like the fact that L2 & L3 are annual. Makes it seem more prestigious if it’s once a year, probably because that makes it more stressful. If I failed L3 and it was semiannual, I’d just shrug my shoulders. No big deal since the next test is only 4 months away.

Is this a joke?

So are people upset about the change itself or about the reason for the change?

Personally, I am upset that there is a whole 10 days overlap with the World Cup which starts June 14th

I am very upset that this important and contradictory decision was not broadly discussed with CFA Institute members in advance. It reflects the current level of governance.

If it were, it would look like a gift, but now it looks like something wringed by sheichs from us all, no?

World football cup will start before exam date. We’re screwed if we don’t pass. Maybe someone could intervene to postpone until September the 1st?

It’s not about religion. It is about power (re)distribution…

preach!

This decision makes it impossible for me to take the exam next year as I have a family event to attend that weekend out of town. If I don’t pass I’m screwed. Feels totally ridiculous and unfair that they would change something that they have consistently done for years without more transparency surrounding the decision. They should have let us know it was under consideration. I echo the above comment about current governance. Very disappointed.

I concur. In my view, CFAI’s decision to move the exam a whole three weeks later is reflective of current political sentiment in the United States. This seems to be a knee jerk reaction in order to placate a vocal minority at the expense of inconveniencing the majority, just to avoid looking insensitive.

No offense to our fellow candidates and charterholders who are Muslim, but Ramadan is an annual occurrence and they seem to balance religious, personal and work responsibilities just fine. It’s part of being Muslim in the modern world. I don’t see why 90+% non-Muslim candidates have to be inconvenienced for 3 whole weeks to accommodate a minority of test takers.

This is ridiculous. I would be outraged regardless of the reasoning for moving the date. Beginning of summer is already ruined - now I give up another month of precious sunlight to studying?

And what really gets me is they did this quietly - thankfully some twitter users posted on AF otherwise i would not have noticed? A big change like this, when it has been the first saturday of June for years - I would expecct to see an email or some sort of announcement and explaining the reasoning (not just via twitter) - maybe that will still come.

Many will register tomorrow without realizing the date has changed.

THIS IS GOOD NEWS for 2017 test takers…

it’s possible CFAI lowers the MPS (higher passing rate) to compensate for negative impact it had to Muslim candidates.

(or the performance of Muslim candidates systematically lowered the curve for everyone…)

God is great!

^ recallability trap.