Sharing warrior's pain for those who failed and congratulating friends (Flashback, Jaywill, Shoot85, Gurifissu et al.)

Because life didn’t allow me to pass CFA in first three attempts earlier, I wanted to create a history and set personal record for myself. To make things challenging and exciting, I planned to take CAIA L1 (March-which I passed studying just 2.5 weeks) then CFA and CAIA L2 in September. That could’ve lead to a big promotion btw.

I started L3 real study on 6 March. Studied all I could with investment job, parents, wife, a kid, tough life issues and a serious chronic disease that affects me every 3rd week. Call it stupid but the warrior was just like that, studied intensely on weekends and last three weeks logged in 50,70 and 70 hours per week! Four days before the exam studied continuously 16 hours and was up for 21 hours. Did my first mock on 14May and every other day till exam, in total 8AM past exams and 5PM mock exams. Total hours around 370. My mock scores weren’t very different than friends who passed but it was sure that I could fall on either side. On exam day, while fasting (I don’t consider it had any impact on my performance, I’m a warrior), went under-slept and made 4 5 silly mistakes that resulted in band 8. What an irony that I got completely stunned and jammed by AM Q1 Alternatives. Of course CFA demands respect and it’s really hard to crack this in 3 months with job/disease/family but warrior never gives up…and if given choice I would try to do that again.

The whole point of this story is to say to those who’ve failed this time: do not give up! in fact never ever give up no matter what! no excuses! keep going no matter what! we have to finish this and we will finish this next year God willing. All that is needed to pass this exam is one word–perseverance–once in mid-may Flashback said something like "God bless those who show perseverance’ and that one comment gave me never ending energy.

But what’s adding to my pain is to see you guys go… Flashback–** Shoot85 ** Gurifissu **(to whom I know since level 2 days)—****Jaywill Onwards— SdooleyCity bank– Moh4 —VirajHedgee --Googs **** 1484-- **Krokodilizm (thanks for G**S **dude, I failed it though)—AlmostdoneIII—****danv **0330 (no dude, CFAI didn’t spare me just because I’m from Pakistan) and many others , ofcourse #Hashtag ain’t going no where). I am happy that you guys passed but I’ll really miss you guys as you won’t be active here that much. Perhaps some of you don’t recognize me as I don’t make many posts but I visit forum multiple times every day during exam months, while sleeping and waking up, in breaks, in queue or whenever I feel down just for motivation and it all feel like a family–camaraderie. If anyone of you raises money for public/private investments and you want to visit Saudi Arabia for business or anything just let me know. Lastly, I would say, looking at your magnanimous efforts that you guys put in to pass L3, I don’t feel I deserved a pass even though it was close. Your solid efforts will be my motivation for next year inshaAllah. Best of luck to you guys…

…and for retakers (VWjetty) next year…one word…Flashback’s “perseverance”.

I love you too boo

Dawwww <3 thank you pakwarrior! I’ll stop by every so often, I promise. And I know you will succeed next time brother, keep that chin up and plow ahead!

You will crush it next year. Best of luck

I feel you pakwarrior. i did both FRM and CFA at the same time and it turned me insane. You will make it next year i am sure as you are already determined to face the challenge again next year which wasn’t my case last year when i failed.

Best of luck

it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done

Amen. Warrior and the JETTY, taking on the World by storm :slight_smile:

Ah pak. I’m sorry you didn’t clear the hurdle this year. You have a great attitude and that’s important to get through something like this program. If you can find the motivation to go at it hard one more time I have no doubt that you’ll get it next time. Take everything you’ve learned and get an early plan together, then go after it. You got this. If you’re able, maybe try to get started a bit earlier next year.

It wouldn’t be fair of me to say I’ll be around here as much as I was when I was a candidate, but I do plan to pop in as often as possible, if only just to stay in touch on things and say hi once in awhile. The good news is, a new crop of candidates is coming along and new friends will be made. Still, I’ll be watching for your pass announcement next August and will be the first to congratulate you.

All the best and good luck.

Just want to say guys that reading your posts and receiving kind words from fellow CFA-sufferers all around the globe has made me feel a lot better. Yesterday caught me completely off guard. I smashed level 1 and 2 and thought L3 was also in the bag. I was devastated to see the ‘we sincerley regret to inform you’ email. I did not see it coming. I worked so hard and felt happy on exam day. To make it worse I received my email at work at 1.40pm UK time (i.e 20 mins BEFORE the official release time). I left the building pretty swiftly and headed for the nearest bar to neck 2 large glasses of pinot grigio and a double vodka . When my 1 hour break was up I had to return to my desk sat there literally crying into my keyboard until my boss sent me home! Horrendous. Luckily he said I could stay home today so have been wallowing in self pity away from the office gossips…urgh IHML right now…

Chill…chill…you freaking over an exam. A little paper, a little pencil (or pen for AM only). A little pain ain’t gonna kill you.

Failed L1 once. Failed L3 twice already. Still alive, breathing. Too hard on yourself. Dropped the $ today. Considering the next few days a gift until you get your books. Then you starting crying haha.

Katyusha same here… was anxiously waiting for the results, had stopped working on anything and opened my email to check cfa folder just to get myself in the result receiving mode and right there could see in email header short description without even opening “We sincerely regret…” caught me off completely of guard at my desk 20mints earlier than supposed time. But dont worry, people like yourself are motivation for us…lets do this next year.

Thanks pakwarrior, just knowing I am not the only one feeling like this makes me feel a whole lot better (although still relatively sh!t on a scale of 1 to 10)…

Also thanks VWJETTY…good to keep things in perspective. After all, no died, no one was diagnosed with cancer and as my 5-year old son said “it’s just a BORING work exam. Can I have an ice lolly now”. Kinda sums it up, I guess. Maybe we should all have an ice lolly…

Nothing wrong with a good ice lolly from time to time. :wink:

Ps an ice lolly is a popsicle, I believe, for any transatlantic peeps!

I appreciate the shout out and really feel for you bud. I spent the 2 years up until last August 2016 with a mentality of I couldn’t afford NOT to go 3 for 3 (Dec, June, June) and journaled about this goal about every 2 weeks since the beginning (May 2014), so when I came in Band 9 last year it hit me like a ton of bricks and humbled me something serious.

It sounds like you took on a bit more than you could chew. And to be honest, there was nothing wrong about that. True “warriors” will shoot for goals way above and beyond for if they don’t, they’ll be left wondering whether they could have done more. You have now been humbled by CFA L3, and know that you need to dedicate much more next time around. To be safe, don’t aim to pass this exam in 2018, aim to OBLITERATE it in 2018. Aiming to obliterate it will require a different kind of mastery and dedication. Do not repeat the same process, evolve the process. Band 8 is still far enough from “obliteration” that you need to do some serious brainstorming as to how you can go about reaching mastery and what needs to be done.

You WILL get this done, and it will be that much more satisfying and emotional when it happens, because of these roadbumps and setbacks.

All the best.

Yo Pakwarrior, forget about that stuff man. You got Rexthedog up from the L2 forum bro. Sh!t just got real.

@ Pack

I sent you a PM.

some lessons learnt on “post exam feelings…”

fly as high as ecarus until you reach the sun…

https://www.analystforum.com/comment/91768664#comment-91768664

@Warrior

We ain’t goin anywhere. The forum supports when you need.

I needed the forum closer to results to get over the anxiety and its time for me to payback to the members. Ping me and I will help whichever way I can.

Best wishes for 2018. Will take up your offer to help in fund raise. Will PM you when I am ready!!