CFA L3 MPS 2018

always a fun thread. let’s speculate to pass the time.

my number is 63.

I need that damn email

What was that “tell” people have speculated about in previous years again?

pure speculation: i think its around 61

its pretty clearly 63 (based on sketchy passing rubrics) for L2, so given the fact that candidates are naturally expected to get alot less right on the essays, i say its lower than 63

Ironically, I worked the hardest and felt most prepared for this exam and have come out feeling like Band 10/9 is where i’ll be at. There were just a couple areas that I didn’t pay enough attention to in my studies and it came up with full vengeance in the morning paper.

Consequently, I am hoping for as low an MPS as possible. I hope TommyJohn is right at 61 as I think I could squeeze past.

Post exam survey? Or something like that?

According to my research MPS might be established using the arithmetic average between 90% percentile and 10% percentile.

If we consider 90% percentile at 77% (70% AM and 85% PM) of total marks and 10% percentile 43% (35% AM and 50% PM) of total marks the MPS would be around 60% (215-216 points over 360), depending of how well/bad these bands perform in the exam would determine the MPS. It is my conjecture but I think I am not misguided

yes, or they do this

“Setting the Minimum Passing Score CFA charterholder members on the CFA Institute Board of Governors who have no conflicts of interest set the MPS to be applied to each examination. The board convenes approximately six weeks following the exam to determine the Levels I and II MPS and again approximately seven weeks after the Level III exam to determine its MPS. Although pass rates may fluctuate, the board’s objective is to require a consistent standard competency level across years. The board assesses the examinations’ difficulty and the candidates’ demonstrated competency. Board members consider all available information relevant to these factors. The results of the standardsetting workshops are the most important input. From the board’s perspective, standard setting is a systematic process that adheres to sound psychometric principles, providing the board with a valid range within which to establish the MPS. The board’s report, “Guiding Principles for Setting the CFA Examination Minimum Passing Score,” is available on the CFA Institute website (www.cfainstitute.org). CFA Institute staff and the board continue to monitor advances in the psychometric field to augment the information currently used to set the MPS.”

https://www.cfainstitute.org/-/media/documents/support/programs/cfa/setting-the-cfa-exam-minimum-passing-score.ashx

@Blackmamba

The tell was to do with teh access scholarship link in your CFA portal.

If it is not there it was inferred that you had passed.

When would this link disappear for those who passed? A week before results came out? Two weeks?

I am big into CFA-related conspiracy theories and would like to add speculative stress by monitoring the website’s links. Kidding, not kidding.

pretty sure all of these theories are for the last week or two

@rexthedog

the tell was bullsh^t and heres why: i passed last year and intially the link didnt show up (indicating a pass) but then a few days later the link DID show up.

I think it was the way the CFAI Scholarship program was shown-- one box or two box, and it was only for L3.

Wait, you passed L3 or L2 last year? I don’t know if it applies to L2 did it?

there was some “tell” people were going crazy about on L2 last year but iirc it turned out to be nonsense (or at least not consistent enough to know)

the tell was fake news

Meanwhile, CFAI web page has been rapidly changed. Exploit the brand new opportunities and start a new game. Btw, for vwjetty is better to skip this year round.

It’s always nonsense.

And every year at every level candidates think that they can game the system.

This isn’t VWAP, folks!

“This isnt VWAP folks!”

Magician, if I indeed do pass, I will miss you.