CFA L3 MPS 2018

hahaha!! I honestly felt pretty decent about last year’s exam.

this year…not so great. Especially the morning. So if anything I’m trying to prolong the results date this year so i’m in absolutely no hury at all.

Lol!

I am hoping the MPS is at least one point or more lower than my score.

Turn to page......

Yup, my thoughts exactly. We’re long a binary, I don’t care how deep in the money I land as long as I’m in the money…

Jetta. I hope you’ll nail it this year. I felt same last year and passed.

hey dude - what were you getting on mocks last year? I know it is largely subjective but curious anyway

Thanks Flashback,

Last year when I took it I just went from start to finish and that was a big mistake. So this year I tackled the stuff I knew first and for sure was going to be points on. And the more “subjective” iffy-type material I left towards the end. I probably left about 15-18 points on the table unfortunately. So it was a ratherly devastating feeling just simply they tested areas (and you know what i’m talking about for those who took it) that was NEVER asked before and a unorthodox way? Or at least to me it “felt” different than the previous year.

Last year I just used schweser and was in the mid 60’s but I think I was probably grading my self too soft maybe?

This year mainly stuck to the curriculum but I took a few mocks from both Adaptprep and Wiley (just AM). Used some Levelup to complement the curriculum. Got mid to higher 60’s on them (didn’t quite finish both but probably left about 4-6 points on the table as opposed to 15-18). CFAI AM & PM both 70. And worked the past 10 years of actual CFAI exams by topic. But quite frankly, I don’t think my mocks did much to prepare for the actual real exam which I feel like I probably did worse.

I took the exam this year. Granted, it was first time, but I did several prior AMs (and other mocks). I don’t recall any topics / questions that I haven’t seen in the prior exams and mocks, nor were questions asked in different ways in my view.

If one knows the material, all questions were pretty doable and fair. If you learned to do certain calculations by heart without understanding their logic, and they thew you off with another type of calculation that you didn’t learn at all, then that’s something different.

Anyway, 15-18 points are ca. 5% of the exam, so if you’re solid on the rest, it wouldn’t matter much as far as passing goes (if you got 75% of the rest correct, which is a pretty low threshold, you still get nearly 68% score, which should be above the MPS).

Jetty, what band were you last year?

1. So yeah I’ve got a long ways to catch up.

I read an article about last year band 10 result in the new reporting format. AM top 10% is not even at 70% and PM average is over 70%. Based on the aurthors estimation band 10 last year is about 58% so I guess MPS is about 60% and this year maybe slightly lower.

I failed last year band 10 and there is no way the I would score below 61% or above 64.5%

my best guess is the MPS around 63-65%

Did you use the new format of the result report to calculate your score range? That would give you much more accuracy

62-63%

EXACTLY. I think too many people lose sight of the fact that the whole point of the exam is to test your knowledge of the curriculum, not to test whether you can memorize past exam questions.

It was for the 2016 exam, the tell was one box vs two box.

One box was whether you could apply for a scholarship: i.e. Fail.

Two box was first you apply a scholarship, then the second box was saying that you were ineligible for a scholarship: i.e. Pass.

It sent the forum paranoia into overdrive and I personally believe it to be true and logically it made sense, and given the result evidence, it turned out to be true. For the record, when I sat it in 2016, I got a one box, and I knew I had failed. Sure enough I got a Band 9 that year.

https://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-iii-forum/91353300

So when can we check for these boxes??

im staying as far away from this stuff this year i can. just provides anxiety and stress.

^ voice of reason