Status after Level 2 test PCP Investigation

So I wrote Level III currently and got a PC letter, which I think is utterly false. I know that I did not cheat nor did I make the impression to have looked at somebody else sheet. While I will fight with everything I can to prove I am not guilty, I think the reality is that I wasted two years of studying and that I will not be able to continue the program (statistically speaking people get banned for glancing, I believe).

While I freaked out in the beginning i try to cope - sometime with less sometimes more anger. My question - am I still allowed to claim that I passed L2 and l1? Will the people who do background checks during applications to potential employees be told that there was/is a PC investigation when checking that I did L1 and L2 or is this not disclosed at that point? This is only me rightfully claiming I passed L2 and L1 not L3.

I dont think anybody can understand how frustrated I am with this as iam definitly innocent - i really tried not even to move in the centre but i really think i cant do anything about it. I would be grateful if somebody could provide an insight on the question

Shit, sorry to hear that.

What did they indict you on?

Why don’t you fight for your innocence? The effort would be well spent compared to the two years “wasted.”

Sorry to hear the news, bro. According to the PCP, you’re guilty until proven innocent – so fighting this would be a long shot.

My advice would be to apologize for any misinterpretation of what you were doing during the exam (e.g., briefly turning your head, which an unloving proctor may deem as “glancing”), and acknowledge that you will accept your punishment. Unfair as it seems, that’s the only way to go. If you do so, I believe there is a fair chance you’ll be able to re-sit for the exam again (so those previous years won’t be wasted).

edit: include “PCP” somewhere in your title, and you’ll get a lot more feedback from the AF community

#goodluck

Haha, troll alert-- 2 AF points and “am I still allowed to claim that I passed L2 and l1?”… surprised you guys fell for it.

They obviously have another username on AF and have created a new name to ensure their main AF username does not get tarnished while they await the outcome of the PCP investigation.

I often worry about a PCP letter given how much of my life i have sacrificed in preparing for the exam. For example, instead of using actual clocks they used pieces of paper indicating ‘1hr remains’…except the fact that rather than putting this at the top of the chart so that they are visibly easier to see, they put it in the middle of the chart, so it was hard for me to see towards the back of the section with 15 other people in front of me. I had to look up and strain, albeit straight ahead…yet better management and facilitation from CFAI should have picked this up or i should have brought a watch, which is what i will do next year.

Will fight for it, but as you guys pointed out, it is a long shot and the odds are not especially high.

rsparks has a good point - i have another AF ac. However, could somebody maybe anwer the question

1. If I am banned permantly (which is just the most frequent outcome of PCP), can I still claim L2 and l1? As in passed L2 2) In applications and background checks, will they disclose the PCP to the person conducting the background checks?

If you’re banned from the programme (unlikely), you’re no longer bound by the code and standards, they apply to members and candidates only. So you can say whatever the f you please.

Since it’s factual information, it wouldn’t be in violation anyway (esp. if you explain that you’re no longer in the programme and the reasons).

As for the PCP, unless they got you straight up cheating, you can probably fight it off or get a warning, or perhaps your exam results void. So fight.

Know that i didnt break the rules - so i am just resigned by now - i always had a high trust in the ethical standards and it feels tough to be treated like this. But as you guys pointed out - i will def get a charterholder to chime in an testify my character to get the best response to them i can. I am considering the worst scenario that could happen

So if i get Nenorr correct - I would still be allowed to claim that I have passed the previous tests.

Final question (see above) - But are they going to diclose the PCP / or the ban (even if it is not permanent) if they are asked to verif y that I passed the exams by a background screening agency? I applied for a sales and trading job and included Passed Level II - so I am afraid that they say yes he passed level II but there is a PCP investigation going on . That would be horrifying as I received a verbal offer following the interview…

i don’t think they’ll ban you from the program if you were just “glancing”. If you full on cheated in some way that’s a different story.

the official data from the website say that this is the major outcome of glancing - so i just try to be realistic. It is nice that you try to encourage here - but can we maybe go back to the question? Regarding whether PC is disclosed towards background screening agencies if they check on level 2 and 1?

As far as I know, and it’s not much, PCP are confidential, so it’s between you and CFAI. I don’t see why this would go to a background screening service, but that’s just my opinion.

If you are innocent, I would certainly give it a fight, even though you may feel like it’s in a losing cause.

Nobody from the institute is going to disclose your results and/or ongoing investigations with third parties (including your employer).

Statistics Sourced from CFA Website On Glancing Sanctions from 2016

Sanction Number of Sanctions 1 Year Cannot Participate in CFA Program 19 2 Years Cannot Participate in CFA Program 115 3 Years Cannot Participate in CFA Program 4 5 Years Cannot Participate in CFA Program 309 Permanent 1145

I don’t see any statistics for 2017.

Based on the degrees of sanctions, challenging would seem like a good idea.

It could improve leniency towards any action taken.

well you provide consent for the background screening - that is the only reason i am concerend. i provide a consent to check that i did level 1 and 2 when i stated Passed l2. This is true info - but i was wondering whether they will additionally disclose to the screening comp that there is a PC under way…that is what worries me most

Other than you and the friendly proctor + PCP peeps, only your disappointed parents and the Lord will know of this investigation.

But when speaking with your new employer, you’ll have to come up with some plausible “excuse” as to why you decided to quit the CFA program with the finish line just around the corner.

#noworries

For some reason this version feels better…

No probs and I would do the same. Personally, I don’t think they would ban you, but more than likely they would void your results and you can take it next year. I would fight it as best you can; maybe bring your study material if you took a lot of notes. I would ask for an unofficial grading if you can and see you fail as they may provide some level of comfort. I find it less likely for someone in level 3 to cheat given what they sacrifice to get there. Counter them and ask if they have investigated the proctor(s) who claim you cheated: do they have convictions, how sure were they; what’s there job history; etc.

You can still claim factual information of passing level 2. if the ban you for two years, you won’t be able to claim level 3 candidate until you enroll again.

In no way are they taking legal action. they are taking action against violations of the code and standards. It will not come up in background checks…

If you do get a ban, look at studying for FRM, CAIA, CA/CPA. or focus on your experience/job apps…just don’t sit around waiting and do not dwell/feel sorry. I would be feeling the same way you are, especially if it wasn’t true, but this exam process is a small part of our lives; there are more important things than any exam.

It would be great if you can update us on your journey. i do not know the process or what you will go through…only by other AF posts. Your insight would be beneficial to the AF community.

Hi

When did u receive the mail?.

Has anyone else also got any mail regarding violation?

Regards

Wow! I stand corrected. Pretty amazing they are this harsh when in many cases it seems to be just one proctor saying “it looked like the candidate may have averted his eyes towards another exam” or something like that. If the person is blatantly taking answers from another candidate i would fully support/expect severe penalties but it seems like they truly are operating with the premise that everyone is guilty of the worst possible scenario unless proven otherwise.