Panic after watching good scorers fail L-2

There are a couple of guys in L-2 forum who have failed even after scoring more than ~65 percent. Plus some conspiracy theories going on about cfai increasing the pass rates for L1 & decreasing the same for L2&3 for repeat business.

How likely high can mps go / how low can they set pass percentage.

What I know is that the pass rate for L2 (45%) is similar to last years pass rates. Not sure where you got your conspiracy theories but for now there’s no sign that this is the case.

I don’t know…I think there is a guy with >70 on 6 topics, 50-70 on 3, and <50 in Econ (not too heavily weight, I think).

Not to say that there is some kind of a conspiracy, but I would be pissed if that didn’t pass. Oh well, nothing left to do but wait and pray!

I actually looked at a colleague’s score and he got less than 50% on 40% of the topics and was right below the MPS line. Based upon what I saw it appears they struggled to pass 45% of the people who took the exam.

Assuming even topic weights (not really realistic, but since there’s not enough other info, close enough) and the minimum score in each range, it is possible that his overall score is close to 57. This is obviously very low, and I don’t think anyone would expect a test with score of 57 to pass, even if if seems that he scored well in a lot of areas.

no conspiracy… if anything the pass rate has been inflated since 2014 and now it is reverting back to normal pre-2014 levels. I understand the average overall pass rate since inception is 46% but that is skewed because of the VERY high pass rate in the programs formative years. the 10 year trailing average is closer to 44% so this years pass rate is above that.

The question to ask is if there’s any correlation between L1 - L2 and L3 pass rates ? I don’t see any in the historical pass rates just looking at the table.

If people are studying harder and getting higher scores on the exam then yes the MPS could be going up while the pass rate stays about the same. The key is are you in the top 55th percentile (Level 2) or top 46th Percentile (Level 3).

That one LII fail with 6 +70% def got me worried. I felt good leaving the exam this year (second try). 8 weeks later, I can’t remember why I felt confident, coupled with 6 +70% topics not being enough has me so worried also.

I just need the waiting and unknown to end!

what was his min score? there’s always going to be some anomaly. Also he did poorly in ethics iirc – could simply be validation of the ethics adjustment theory

The thinking is him min was 65.5%. Along with the ethics adjustment could explain it. But it was a really good looking matrix…

that dude seriously should have passed. That matrix looked really good. And I’ve seen less impressive matrixes pass so i’m not sure what voodoo magic is going on down there in C-ville.

Exactly my emotion.

A very valid point. Just with the increasing traction the program seems to be gaining, may be better / more hard working talent pool is giving these exams.

Also there is a flurry of re-takers who have had some sense of the exam and more likely to pass on their 2nd/3rd takes. Add to this the exhaustive prep resources that are being offered now, it’s no surprise that the mps might well be inching upwards each year, for all we know.

^or the test could have been easier? more candidates with higher scores drive up the MPS

I’m in the same boat, saw that thread and def got me worried. I believe my LII results weren’t as good as his and I still managed to pass. Nothing to do but wait at this point…

Doesn’t seem to be the case, bro. Last 10 yrs papers don’t indicate this

2014am exam

Many have suggested that the morning session of the L2 exam was “easy”, so in order to maintain a 45% passing score, the MPS must inherently be higher than in recent exams.

I can only speak to L3 since that’s what I took. Having read this forum as well as Reddit, and having taken the past 6 years’ L3 exams as practice, I believe this year’s AM session was as hard or harder than any of the recent exams. Even many of those who have stated the material was “easy” have noted that the AM session was rather lengthy. Many left entire questions blank. Obviously, there are some outliers who will say they finished the exam with an hour to spare, but my point is that reading into L2 matrices to have some correlation with L3 is probably going to cause anxiety, nothing more.

i left 20-24 points blank on AM, so im freaking out. time will tell.