Sign up  |  Log in

How long does Charter application take?

Just submitted my application yesterday with my work experience and colleague references.

How long does it typically take for them to approve this?

Once this is approved and my dues are paid, can I use the letters? 

Finally, once the above is done, does the Institute automatically send your Charter in the mail or do you need to specifically request it?

Thanks 

.....woof

Available Live or Online, our classes are taught by CFA® charterholders that have a history of helping candidates pass. Take your studies seriously with a live class from Schweser.

Hey Rex,

Mind sharing why you applied for the charter? Wouldn’t it be sufficient to just pass the exams and then indicate that you passed all 3 levels on your resume?

Thanks.

Rex who did you ask for references?

I was a referee for two of my students and they got it approved within 24 hours. Mine personally took one month. So it varies.

Once you submit the application, you will have to wait for an email from CFA Institute that states you are now a charterholder.

IIRC the CFAI website states something about a 10 business days review period once submitted and I don’t believe they review until all your references are in.  The good thing is that they email you once each reference submits and you can also check the status on the site.

It took around 24 hours for me over the summer – would expect it to take quite a bit longer now with the massive influx of applications they must be getting. 

arbguy wrote:

It took around 24 hours for me over the summer – would expect it to take quite a bit longer now with the massive influx of applications they must be getting. 

if i’m reading the site correctly, CFAI did their approval within a day or two but the local chapter has up to 30 days to review and mine is sitting there so I think it can vary a lot person to person based on the local chapters. I submitted mine the day the results came in (would have done it sooner but one of my references was busy and only got to his part Monday)

For me my resume is not important, I am settled in my role. I want to be able to use the CFA letters on my signature nad business cards. Can only do this if I am registered member.

I applied, and used 3 references from my work place with 77 months work experience.

Took a couple days to come through, got membership acceptance today.

Annual dues are 275 bucks and a one off 165 bucks for admission to CFA London. 

I’ll take a quick look down the directory, if my name says CFA next to it, I am officially a charterholder, otherwise just a guy who passed the levels :) 

.....woof

All approved. I’M A CHARTERHOLDER!!!!!!!!!

.....woof

Congrats Rex… I still need to complete 4 more months of ”work” experience. 

Congrats Rex! All the best to you. Woof!

Candidcam wrote:

arbguy wrote:

It took around 24 hours for me over the summer – would expect it to take quite a bit longer now with the massive influx of applications they must be getting. 

if i’m reading the site correctly, CFAI did their approval within a day or two but the local chapter has up to 30 days to review and mine is sitting there so I think it can vary a lot person to person based on the local chapters. I submitted mine the day the results came in (would have done it sooner but one of my references was busy and only got to his part Monday)

My understanding is the society membership is “optional” so if you are an active member of CFAI that’s all you need

As of today I think I have about 47 months of qualifying experience. Should I wait the month to apply or can I just do it now and have them accept me in a month. I’m not sure how it works. I just don’t want to have to apply again in a month if I do it now.

JayWill wrote:

Congrats Rex! All the best to you. Woof!

Thanks Jaywill. Feels like a lifetime ago when i was messaging you in despair after failing 2! We made it buddy!

.....woof

cfabanker31 wrote:

Congrats Rex… I still need to complete 4 more months of ”work” experience. 

Thanks cfabanker! Those 4 months will fly by, what’s that, the first 3 volumes of the CFA book? Easy ;) 

.....woof

I passed back in ‘16 and they told me to allow 8 weeks.  I just got my 4 years and submitted for regular membership, so we’ll see how long this take.

how long does these job descriptions have to be? 

Big Dreams Require Big Sacrifices - VWJETTY

Congrats!

I got the charter approximately 2 hours after the exam results (in the members directory that is). For the certificate, I got an email notification that they will send it in the next six to eight weeks (and probably a couple more weeks to get by mail to Europe). 

I applied on Thursday morning and am still at “reviewing work experience”

I need 35 more months to be qualified. How I wish it could be just 35 more days.

VWJETTY wrote:

how long does these job descriptions have to be? 

There’s an example on the cfa website. It’s a couple sentences I think. I just sent emails to my supervisor and colleague so hopefully get approved sometime next week

<a href="mailto:pete@cudenver">pete@cudenver</a> wrote:

I need 35 more months to be qualified. How I wish it could be just 35 more days.

They have to keep that barrier to entry high enough with their two pronged approach.

Just submitted my application today. Hope to hear from them soon!

You should hear back soon. I didnt write too much in my job descriptions. Just a bit about what i was working on. The only remaining query I now have is how to actually obtain the tangible charter. Presumably it is mailed to you but I have received no indication yet of the process. I emailed info tho. 

.....woof

rexthedog wrote:

You should hear back soon. I didnt write too much in my job descriptions. Just a bit about what i was working on. The only remaining query I now have is how to actually obtain the tangible charter. Presumably it is mailed to you but I have received no indication yet of the process. I emailed info tho. 

Interested in learning how this works too. Can you update us?

Of course, will update when I find out! :) 

.....woof

alcor wrote:

Just submitted my application today. Hope to hear from them soon!

Please keep us posted as to how long it takes and if there are any issues.  I have 2 of my 3 references in and the third is going to fill it out when back from vacation 8 days from now.  

As to the other poster who inquired how long the job description is, they afford you up to 2,500 words but I’ve from people that typed half that they didn’t have any problems.

I submitted my application about a day after my results and I’m currently awaiting my charter as well. I have the approved work experience (60 approved months) and my references are in (two charterholders and one supervisor), but I’ve seen no change from the “Under-Review” status. I work in NC, but a colleague of mine who works in NY was approved almost instantly. Seems to be some differences in turnaround times in different states.

Submitted my application a day after my results and within 24 hours there approved my experience. 

Perseverance and consistency all it takes to get there

For me it took 4 days (in total) submitted Wednesday and approved Sunday,I paid the fees in the same day to get the 3 letters after my name. Waiting the Paper one. I wrote approximately 1600 letters describing my work experience.

Good luck for all