Sign up  |  Log in

No more MM mocks

MM has stopped selling mocks separately and it’s  included only in subscription package and all the mocks will be written by MM himself from this year onwards. Now no more mocks will be written by S2000 magician. Very sad news

You’ve made it this far, and you know what it takes to pass. Don’t be fooled by false promises and unrealistic claims. Schweser’s CFA® study packages give you the proven study tools and expert instruction you need to finish the job.

Did s2000 have a dispute with MM? Was there a falling out?

May be MM gets jealous because whenever people talks about MM mocks for this year exam, they give credit to S2K!

Only S2000 magician can answer this question. 

125mph wrote:
Did s2000 have a dispute with MM? Was there a falling out?

Yes.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

ak****f5 wrote:
Now no more mocks will be written by S2000 magician.

Not necessarily.

I’m working with Marc LeFebvre (an old friend) to create materials for the new Level III readings.  Once that’s done, if there’s time I plan to write some Level III morning session practice exams.

Watch this space.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

S2000magician wrote:

125mph wrote:
Did s2000 have a dispute with MM? Was there a falling out?

Yes.

I kind of sensed that from your comment about his Ph.D, in another thread.

haha

125mph wrote:
S2000magician wrote:
125mph wrote:
Did s2000 have a dispute with MM? Was there a falling out?

Yes.

I kind of sensed that from your comment about his Ph.D, in another thread.

haha

Truth be told, I have no idea about the topic of his PhD.  None.

I simply know that the university from which he claims that PhD does not (as of 2019) offer a PhD in Finance.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

All of this prep provider talk makes me want a reality show.  Big Brother style.  

do you suggest not to use his review materials?

thats because its a PH D in philosophy

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mark-meldrum-phd/

erickson_ wrote:

thats because its a PH D in philosophy

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mark-meldrum-phd/

No… the word Ph.D. means “A Doctor of Philosophy”

MM is no doctor, and he aint a Philosopher ! 

D - Doctor

PH - Philosophy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy

dasstienn wrote:
do you suggest not to use his review materials?

I, for one, am not suggesting anything of the sort.

Lots of candidates are very pleased with his materials.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

I ordered his book 4 video, à la carte.

I thought it was okay.. I watched it while riding my bike in doors (indoor trainer).. Just something to do. I dont think I gained anything from it but gave a good refresher on equties and FI.

It is weird that he doesn’t put the major on LinkedIn, nor does he put his full experience history. Yet to me that doesn’t necessarily indicate problems with his teaching or materials. What matters is that he knows the materials well which has been proven in the quality of videos..

I am not his biggest fan though, I didn’t like the way he answered to my and others queries on the platform, often provided vague answers (at least to me they were vague, I always felt that his answers were so brief to the point of being vague), so the Q&A feature was not that helpful, I always looked for answers myself. Another thing, if someone asked a simple question, I noticed that his answers tended to be kind of sarcastic, that pissed me off, we are candidates, you are a PhD, we are learning, no need to be sarcastic, not the attitude of a teacher.

The L2 mocks contained errors, and if i inquired about the errors, he’d ignore me. And the blame was all put on magician too, to me, I didn’t care whose fault it was, I just needed to practice well.

YET…………I am considering registering with him for L3, and will probably do it, but a bit hesitant, the money is in my credit card waiting for me to make a decision!

125mph wrote:

I ordered his book 4 video, à la carte.

I thought it was okay.. I watched it while riding my bike in doors (indoor trainer).. Just something to do. I dont think I gained anything from it but gave a good refresher on equties and FI.

But it was good quality video? When you say you didn’t gain anything from it, is it because it was bad, or because you already knew the materials.

LadyMacbethStrategy wrote:

But it was good quality video? When you say you didn’t gain anything from it, is it because it was bad, or because you already knew the materials.

Good quality video.. I didnt get anything from it because I already know the material. He’s just going over the circiulum and putting it in his own words. You can read it in the text too.

Oh, I also did watch his video on the plane.. I do several work trips a year and thought it was a good idea to watch it on an iPad to kill time.

Tbh I thought Mark’s videos were very good. He is disciplined about covering the LOS and he presents in a clear manner. 

I also thought he was very brief with his responses to questions, sometimes stating that the matter could not be explained any further, which wasn’t very encouraging.

I enjoyed the grading experience with s2000 and thought the mocks were good.

Overall I would recommend using MM.

haha you learn something every day. Good thing the CFA designation is clear cut. ;) 

S2000magician wrote:

LadyMacbethStrategy wrote:
The L2 mocks contained errors, and if i inquired about the errors, he’d ignore me. And the blame was all put on magician too, to me, I didn’t care whose fault it was, I just needed to practice well.

Interesting.

I agree -  Looking at CFAI code and standards cool, if you are using a third party, then it is your responsibility to verify the quality and work done! 

But he was like, this was not my mistake, honestly, I couldn’t care less, my question to him was not whose done it!

125mph wrote:

LadyMacbethStrategy wrote:

But it was good quality video? When you say you didn’t gain anything from it, is it because it was bad, or because you already knew the materials.

Good quality video.. I didnt get anything from it because I already know the material. He’s just going over the circiulum and putting it in his own words. You can read it in the text too.

Oh, I also did watch his video on the plane.. I do several work trips a year and thought it was a good idea to watch it on an iPad to kill time.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I thought his videos for L2 were good too, just wanted to check the feedback on L3. Plenty of providers do well on a level, and mess up another.

jameshunterjones wrote:

Tbh I thought Mark’s videos were very good. He is disciplined about covering the LOS and he presents in a clear manner. 

I also thought he was very brief with his responses to questions, sometimes stating that the matter could not be explained any further, which wasn’t very encouraging.

I enjoyed the grading experience with s2000 and thought the mocks were good.

Overall I would recommend using MM.

Thank for the feedback on the grading service and on MM. Reassuring! 

Yes, I’d have to give credit to MM that he is responsible when it comes to covering the curriculum, he also breaks down difficult concepts in seminars, and solves EOC, in L2 he made a separate video for JUST ONE EOC question hat was confusing to a lot of candidates! I don’t think any provider does that. Even though I didn’t watch most of the seminar videos and EOC as i didn’t have time, I appreciate that he provided them.

Not advocating for or against here, as I never used MM materials or Bill’s mocks throughout the program - just presenting facts.

I did find Meldrum’s 2009 dissertation for those curious: https://etd.ohiolink.edu/pg_10?::NO:10:P10_ETD_SUBID:52014

He essentially reasons that patent volumes are correlated with business cycles as a byproduct of innovation. Given the subject matter and the composition of his committee I would venture to say MM’s doctorate is either in Management, Economics or a specialty thereof.

lets just say some of us lucked out if we used MM mocks made & graded by Bill - and passed this year. Your mocks were of high quality. They were hard though haha

mrow

Taking no sides here. I love both MM & s2000, highly recommend both of their services and am grateful to have benefited from their knowledge and expertise, especially at levels 2 and 3.

Those mocks last (this?) year were the highest quality you could possibly get in practice essays

sarang3 wrote:
lets just say some of us lucked out if we used MM mocks made & graded by Bill - and passed this year. Your mocks were of high quality. They were hard though haha

mheithy wrote:
Taking no sides here. I love both MM & s2000, highly recommend both of their services and am grateful to have benefited from their knowledge and expertise, especially at levels 2 and 3.

Those mocks last (this?) year were the highest quality you could possibly get in practice essays

You’re both very kind.

Thank you.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

the mocks you wrote this year for MM were top notch…i was surprised that MM didn’t write his own given the quality of his II & III videos…

jonathangalt wrote:

the mocks you wrote this year for MM were top notch…i was surprised that MM didn’t write his own given the quality of his II & III videos…

When I took level2, I emailed MM about mocks. .I told him I had IFT already, he said dont bother.. his are from IFT.

Then come level 3, I started reading about MM’s mocks being outsourced by bill.

I beleive MM likes to outsource the mocks part of his course.

Too sad that the code and standard of ethics only apply to the ‘covered’ members and candidates. I agree with 125. I only happened to watch couple of vids of Meldrum on YouTube with a fat cat on his lap. Subsequent vids had the cat disappeared. Nobody knows what happened to the cat.

Somebody mentioned his phD in Finance…well that is how legends are created, I suppose.

Was watching Tears for Fears “Everybody wants to rule the world”…great number. An original blast from the past!

back against the wall. no retreat no surrender.

jonathangalt wrote:
the mocks you wrote this year for MM were top notch…i was surprised that MM didn’t write his own given the quality of his II & III videos…

One factor that helps write good exam questions – at least for me – is grading mock exams taken my candidates.  Seeing how candidates interpret questions and interpret in information given in vignettes was invaluable to me.  It was a great help in writing vignettes and questions that were not subject to misinterpretation (or, at least, had minimal probability of being misinterpreted).

I do not know how much experience Dr. Meldrum has in grading Level III morning session mock exams.  Without that, perhaps he felt unequal to the task.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

Hi Bill, you have great website with content, why don’t you offer your written mocks along with grading session on your website?  Just curious