Anyone else 3 years burnt out?

I guess, technically, it’s been just over two years that I started this quest for the Charter, but it feels like five. I am really burnt out. I am so glad I found the discipline to begin studying earlier this year than years past because I just don’t think there is much left in me to give. Once again, it seems like they have just tried to cram wayyy tooo much information into this one day exam. One more wafer of information and I’m going to explode. How we will ever remember all of this stuff? Why does this happen every year? My Q bank scores and percentage complete are the lowest they’ve been for any level. This despite having read the entire CFAI curriculum (didn’t do that for Level I and only partly for Level II). Two days before Level I, I took the day off and played golf (there’s about zero chance I’ll feel that cocky this year). Well, they guy I played golf with was a pretty senior technology analyst – he’d worked at some bulge bracket investment banks and small hedge funds. He had finished Level II some years ago and never did level III (I assume he tried at least once and failed, but I didn’t really ask). At the time, I remember thinking, “What’s wrong with this guy? Why doesn’t he just bang out level III?” Well, I don’t think he was so stupid now. This bites. Limping across the finish line, P

I’m all in for this fucker. I felt burnout for L2, but not anymore. I’ve gotten used to this craziness and part of me might even miss the intensity once it’s all over. Although this whole process started about 20 months ago, it feels like it’s been 5 years or so. Nothing that’s worthwhile ever comes easy. The amount of time and sacrifices that we’ve made along the way will only make the ultimate success that much sweeter.

my thoughts exactly. i’m so burned out, man. i’m not sure what would happen if i failed. that said, hearing a guy like you say he’s feeling less confident at this level makes me feel better about how underprepared i’m feeling. maybe it’s normal. maybe the guys that passed last year felt this way going in. i don’t know. 3 weeks, let’s push and get this thing done.

Remember, approx 50% will pass this exam. I’m pretty confident as to which half we fall into.

That’s why CFAI is considering level 4, just to keep guys like you from getting to the finish line.

I don’t have much left. I sat down in a chair today at 10 AM and didn’t get out until 8. That was just to put my son to bed. I can’t even imagine doing this again next year.

I am putting everything I can into this level. Every time I think I can’t go anymore, I realize it’s either 20 more days, or 6 more months. But that is what scares me. I fell like I am putting more into this level than I have for either I or II and I can just imagine how terrible I will feel if I fail. And then realize I need to do it all over again next year.

I am too tired to complain about it

Whiners :slight_smile: Try going through this sh!t for 8 years. This will be my 7th CFA exam. There’s alot of history (good, bad and downright brutal) in this journey for me. When they talk about “life happens” during this thing, I, along with a few others on this board that I know about are the poster children. It seems every year when exam time comes around I have a significant life situation that I go through. I tell you, this CFA program has been a jinx on my entire family. For most of you, it will be over shortly so keep plugging along. For myself I am not nearly as confident I will pass as I am that you all will. If not, I will be around for a 9th year.

Big… you’re the man. Good thing this year is the year! We can do it. I share McLeod’s and wandering’s views. And Plyon, like you, I started earlier this year than the others. Yeah, it’s brutal. But this is it. Think about how sweet it’ll be on the other side. Visualize it, getting over the finish line, those letters after your name… It is our time to shine! Do it!!

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Remember, approx 50% will pass this exam. I’m > pretty confident as to which half we fall into. You really think the pass rate will be 50%? That is some pretty wishful thinking there.

leafsrule Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > McLeod81 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Remember, approx 50% will pass this exam. I’m > > pretty confident as to which half we fall into. > > > You really think the pass rate will be 50%? That > is some pretty wishful thinking there. Pass rates have been leveling out in recent years. Last year it was 53% I believe. No reason to believe it should be below that, even if you factor in the current market conditions.

I thought I was pretty good on most of the material, relative to my preparation for L2 last year - But then I started doing past papers last week. BIG wake-up call! The material is no harder than L2. But the questions are a lot tougher. In L2 there was not much ambiguity or subtleties in the questions. You read the facts, recognise the issue, apply the facts and arrive at the solution. But in L3 I’m finding I need to really slow down and read the facts VERY slowly and carefully - often several times over. There are tiny subtleties which make big differences in how the facts are applied to the principle or rule or calc, etc. The depth of knowledge required is much more than L2. Hopefully I will get the hang of it in time… on the upside - at least there’s no more all current -v- temporal!

Share the similar feelings as you all and as pylon and sterling, had started early this year and went through the CFAI curriculum, which I didn’t do for L1 and L2, for L1 it was laziness and for L2 there was no time (took L1 in dec 07 and L2 in jun 08). This time I wanted to make sure that I do whatever it takes and so read the curriculum, but its vast, and its subjective, thats the toughest part (as opposed to L2 which was technical). Just hope we all get this done this time. And big babbu, you are going to nail it this time. I have a feeling that the passing rates will be higher this year for L3. By the way, did you guys saw the Indian markets today, it rose around 18% in a day, trade was halted twice as it crossed the upper circuit limit of 10%. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a1GDxQyYPmfo&refer=home

plyon Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am really burnt out. I am so glad I found the > discipline to begin studying earlier this year > than years past because I just don’t think there > is much left in me to give. Once again, it seems > like they have just tried to cram wayyy tooo much > information into this one day exam. One more > wafer of information and I’m going to explode. > How we will ever remember all of this stuff? Why > does this happen every year? I hear you … It’s hard to keep going but we are almost there.

I’m pretty much f-ed for this one as it’s been one clusterf%$* after the other for me since October. I killed L1 and L2 on the first trybut haven’t put in enough time for this one. Hopefully going nuts til 6/6 and taking the whole week off before the exam can turn this into a coin flip for me. But back to Plyon’s original point - I also feel less motivated after L2. L2 is getting over the hump from an ability stand point, after that it’s really desire. I’m particularly less motivated after L2 because it helped me get an investment related job last June. I’m not going anywhere soon (unless I get canned) and I won’t have the work experience for the charter for 3 year anyways. I will get the charter though. “It’s not that I’m lazy, it’s that I just don’t care”

Completely burned out as this will be my fourth exam in total (failed level 2 once) and doing so with 2 little kids (2+ yrs old and 6 months old). But, I’m trying to stay positive because this is the finish line and if we focus on the right things we will get through it and have what seems to be tons of free time on our hands starting the following day. It will be worth it in the end.

I’ve been burned out most of this study season, but with less than a month to the finish line I’ve found a new sense of invigoration! My goal when I left work on Friday was to spend 20 hours studying before work on Monday. I surpassed my goal and feel like it was the most productive weekend I’ve had this entire study season. From now until the test date I will spend my lunches at work studying and will try to put in 3 hours in the evening. Because next week is a 3 day weekend, my goal is 30 hours and I had better go above and beyond! This is crunch time! Bust your @$$ for the next 3 weeks and you’ll never have to do it again!

I’m so burnt out I can’t think straight. Tired is the new relaxed. Since the exam last year I’ve moved countries and started a brutal new job (much more senior than my last role) which has involved much longer and more stressful hours. I’ve had zero motivation to study for ths. I’ve put in heaps of hours but have never really felt like I was in ‘the zone’ study wise like I did at Level 1 & 2. That said none of the material scares me - I just have to keep at it for another 20 days. I even calculated I can ‘potentially’ still study another 150 hours! All I need to do is ensure I don’t get sent overseas this weekend to assist on a project go live…

Big Babbu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Whiners :slight_smile: > Try going through this sh!t for 8 years. > This will be my 7th CFA exam. > There’s alot of history (good, bad and downright > brutal) in this journey for me. > When they talk about “life happens” during this > thing, I, along with a few others on this board > that I know about are the poster children. It > seems every year when exam time comes around I > have a significant life situation that I go > through. I tell you, this CFA program has been a > jinx on my entire family. > For most of you, it will be over shortly so keep > plugging along. > For myself I am not nearly as confident I will > pass as I am that you all will. > If not, I will be around for a 9th year. Big Babbu: you and I are in the same both, the only different is that I give life to two children in that process and I am quiet happy with that. This year is my time, i feel I will get it done and I will have no regret for the time I spend in thing. it just make wiser, I have never any intellectual challenge in my life up to this date. I alwasys get things as i will BUT not this one. Some I accuse my wife, my kids, my work and my english for no reason good reason and refuse to accept that I could fail the test several time. This days I come to realize after all that I am human. It is ok to fail as long as get up. Thanks GOD I can/ Like most of you, I started way early this year and boy I feel pretty good on where I am at this point. I am putting everything together now. I am about to start a sprint to the finish line. No body will stop me and no body can. I am in it and I am in it for good. This is it! Until then, I am ready to sleep only 4 hours a day, till June 4th.