STUDY PLAN

When do you plan to start working on this? I was planning on enjoying my summer first.

once the schweser notes arrive in hong kong; i will be on it until the exam. so i would think i’ll start around mid June. In the meantime, i’ll try to improve my mandarin.

Planning to start mid June as well. But need to decide what study materials I will be using first.

I’ve already started with a revision of quant material. I got the Schaum book “probability & statistics”, which has about one billion practice problems in it. I also still have my old CFA quant book which was decent. I will order Schweser this week.

Klarsolo Could you please let me know which edition of Schaum book “probability & statistics” ,b/c I am not able to find the difference in amazon is it Schaum’s Outline probability & statistics or Schaums Outline Of Theory And Problems Of Probability And Statistics

Hi Factor hedge, this is the book that I have: http://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-Probability-Statistics-Spiegel/dp/0071350047/ref=pd_sim_b_3#

I passed FRM in Nov 08. I can tell You following study tips: 1) Start early; 2) Do not use Jorion FRM book because it was not updated for years in 2008 and was really high level material for me; 3) Buy Schweser which is really cheap smth like $400 for essential pack; 4) I spent approximately 250-320 hours. Regarding other issues: 1) Past exam questions are included in the end of each of the Schweser books; 2) Exam difficulty increased significantly from 2002; 3) Do all Q-bank; I scored 55-60% in it; 4) BSM formulas were given in the questions on the exam; 5) The exam was 2 part and each part is 2.5 hours; I had 40 minutes left after each part; but other man told that he was short on time but he was underprepared; 6) I did not buy final review workshop of Schweser but I think it will be of use; 7) I thought I failed but I passed with 2 sections in 1st percentile and others in middle.

PS there is update of Jorion book dated May 2009. But the material was presented in very difficult way so I have no idea whether to use it in preparation for exam.

Whats the deal with the percentile requirement? Do you need to get top quarter for x out of y?

Well, i think they do not require to get top quarters in some area.

I am debating which Schweser option to choose. The premium Study solution is $800 while the Essential Study solution costs $400. The only difference between the 2 seems to be the weekly Online program with the premium. Is it worth it? Also, I just took my CFA L1 exams and am pretty confident that I will pass. Just need some help in trying to decide which option to choose for the FRM full exam in Nov. Appreciate any feedback.

I said I would start thinking of how to approach FRM after my CFA level2 exam. so I will do that the coming week. any good advice is always welcome.

Hey YeeS_Mos, which Q-bank qns are u referring to?

I meant SchweserPro Q-bank for FRM it had 1500-1800 questions in it.

YeeS_Mos Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I passed FRM in Nov 08. > > I can tell You following study tips: > > 1) Start early; > 2) Do not use Jorion FRM book because it was not > updated for years in 2008 and was really high > level material for me; > 3) Buy Schweser which is really cheap smth like > $400 for essential pack; > 4) I spent approximately 250-320 hours. > > Regarding other issues: > > 1) Past exam questions are included in the end of > each of the Schweser books; > 2) Exam difficulty increased significantly from > 2002; > 3) Do all Q-bank; I scored 55-60% in it; > 4) BSM formulas were given in the questions on the > exam; > 5) The exam was 2 part and each part is 2.5 hours; > I had 40 minutes left after each part; but other > man told that he was short on time but he was > underprepared; > 6) I did not buy final review workshop of Schweser > but I think it will be of use; > 7) I thought I failed but I passed with 2 sections > in 1st percentile and others in middle. I passed the Nov 08 exam too. Most of what you say I agree with, but this line cracks me up “4) I spent approximately 250-320 hours.” That is like saying boss, I was either 30 minutes early of 2 hours late for work today so chill. I kid, I kid… I started in late August doing some of the Schweser notes, but really started once the Schweser online course started. I had about 10 minutes left in the am session but had to do the “all C” for the last 11 questions on the pm session, just ran out of time. I think if you finished level two this summer, you can get away with 150 hours, but if you are new to this area completly you probably need 300 to 350 hours. (i.e. I work in wholesale credit risk, so I got some benies) Just as an FYI, expect some really random questions which are not even from the curriculum. Hey YeeS_Mos, what did you think about the carbon paper answer sheet? I wasnt sure why they didnt just use regular scantron sheets, WTF? Oh and I got the final review pack, it was good, I have to admit, if you follow Greg Filbeck, you sould be gold for the exam, plus I think this is the only way to get the ‘secret sauce’ for the FRM, as I think it isnt sold separately. Hope this helps.

I am new for risk management although I have 4 years of experience in finance. The 250-320 hours range is so wide because I could not track the number of hours exactly because it was so long ago but recommended hours for FRM is smth like 400. well, the exam in my location was organized pretty badly, the people which were invigilators also were in charge for FRM preparation courses and as I understood they gave during their courses which costed something like $ 6 k the unpublished previous exam variant (clearly in my opinion violation of testing rules). Carbon sheets were ridiculous. It could be major reason why the results are delivered in January. I finished 1st part of exam with 1 or 1.5 hours remained also besides it I was out of examination room for 30 minutes when I searched for toilet. I finished second part of exam with 1 hour left but I usually complete tests early. I completed CFA level 1 in 1 hour for am and 2 hour for PM in June 08 although it was not applicable for CFA level 2 in June 09. Although other candidate told me that he was short of time but he was not well prepared he said.

how could people start studying mid-june, I was told the schweser notes aren’t going to be ready until end of June.

well… I’m starting in mid September after my CAIA level 2. I hope 100 hours is enough. Good luck everyone.

Lindalibinbin Cuz not everyone is using Schweser notes :). I, for one am so Ill start July.

So when you sign up for the exam (I am thinking of level 1 FRM in Nov), do you get the GARP books as well? Also, I dont seem to find a detailed curriculum anywhere (the GARP website doesnt provide much info). AT last, are schweser notes the best for this test or what? Your answer is greatly appriciated.