Side gigs

Do people here have side gigs? If so, do tell please.

I’d love to hear what others are up to.

I’ve done some paid writing myself, mostly in the finance space (a little on Seeking Alpha but mostly contract work). I’m taking a bit of a break from that right now, but at its hayday it was producing $1-2k a month extra cash flow, which was nice for maybe 5-6 hours a week of work. I’d do a bunch on my lunch breaks so it wasn’t even really cutting into my personal time.

Chippendale’s dancer.

Numi has his career consulting stuff and seems to have made it work.

Geo, how did you end up choosing topics for your SA pieces? Did you write under your own name, or were you ghostwriting for others?

This is the hard part, for sure. Sometimes I saw some kind of interesting development with a company and I checked out SA to see if anyone had covered it yet. If not, I’d put together a little summary of the development and potential impacts on the company or industry. People seemed to like my work. You had to be realistic if you wanted to make it worth your time though. A detailed analysis with modelling and stuff just won’t get enough extra page views in order to justify the incremental time. A light 500 word summary piece was ideal in terms of return.

I had my own account, but it was under an alias. I’d provide it here but I don’t want a mosiac of info that could be pieced together to figure out who I am (I’ve already said too much here). I haven’t written for SA in several months though as I’ve had some things on the go in my personal life that have been eating up a lot of time.

It was never a big piece of my side gig though. Most of my contracts were found elsewhere and then primarily through referrals.

If someone wanted to make a go of this as a side gig, I don’t think I’d recommend SA. My other piece of advice would be to never undercut yourself. There are all sorts of chumps out there willing to work for peanuts. Take your knowledge and expereince and charge a premium. Lots of people will turn you down. But the good clients that are willing to pay are also likely to refer and their referral clients are also generally willing to pay good rates. There are plenty of contracts I had where I was making $100-150 an hour no problem.

Teach tennis on the side for about $60 an hour. Gives me an excuse to get outside and enjoy helping out young kids that are good players.

www.linkedin.com/in/numicareerconsulting/

Better you than me. I’d be sending everyone to plumbing school.

I’ll be teaching at a hacksaw commuity college starting spring semester. That’s a whoppin’ few $k though. I’ve coached kids through high school in the past for a few clams. That’s come to an end though.

Check the ‘gigs’ section on CL. Last NYE I helped out an establishment with some security work and had a good time, made some lettuce, tipped some drinks, and got to case out some of NYCs finest talent. It was sure fun and a different way to ring in the new year other than getting drunk and blowing money fast.

The CPA firm that I might go to has an investment arm, but the partner is too busy to develop it. If I make the move, maybe I’ll be lucky enough to take over that part of the business.

But as of right now, I’ve really got no moonlighting opportunities.

You forgot to mention “smashing dimes” as one of the key perks of the security gig

I love side jobs!!!

• free-lance writer/ researcher for magazines

• photography assistant/ stylist

• speaker

• piano teacher (on-going)

• product tester

Most of these things i don’t do on a regular basis and usually not at the same time, except teaching piano.

discount for afers?

you forgot -TROLL

T_T

I’m working on a side gig now with another company and i’m developing a business plan for my own business. Although i like the security comfort of working for a large firm, I think i will be far more successful on my own and hope to be there one day.

I had a side gig in the past of raising a fund for poker players and creating an online market to sell stake depending on where that player was in a tourny / cash game. The legistlation of revoking online play crushed those aspirations.

New Jersey just legalized. Billboards of new online gambling sites are now lining the turnpike… you may be back in business.

What’s the point of this personal attack, igor? You seem to troll her far more than she trolls you or anyone else.

haha i love nana…it wasnt personal just messing with him/her…ill cease per the 1st amendement

what kind of products do you test?

I tutored intro finance for a bit.