#CrimingWhileWhite

this is going around twitter where white folks are posting stories of how cops went soft on their crimes

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/03/368331996/-crimingwhilewhite-opens-a-prism-on-police-and-race

https://twitter.com/hashtag/crimingwhilewhite

best one so far

JT Kittrell ‏@ corapeake2m2 minutes ago

Sometimes, I drive in country roads without a seatbelt. # CrimingWhileWhite

I generally support the social dialogue made possible by the information age, but then stupid shit like this comes along and I have to second guess myself.

Chad Wallace ‏@ BlackSuperGeek41m41 minutes agoSt Louis, MO

I’m a mailman, while driving the mail truck, if a cop gets behind me…I still get nervous # LivingWhileBlack

haha!

Does it count if you’re a white guy who did bad stuff but never got caught?

One time I crawled slowly through a stop sign at 2 AM (California stop) when there were no other cars around in an all white neighborhood. Black cop pulled me over and gave me a $150 ticket.

#CrimingWhileWhite

I don’t know… I find some of the tweets pretty hilarious. But on a serious level, the elephant in the room is that blacks get a harder time from cops, whether or not they have committed a crime or not.

IMO, based on stories told by the media, Michael Brown deserved it. If you do something as stupid as charging a cop, then you have to face the consequences. On the other hand: Eric Garner. Even though he did have a criminal record, based on the video that situation escalated way too quickly and the chokehold was definitely unneccessary.

^How about people just listen to the police when they give you a command? Both of these situations arose because the suspects (is that the right word?) didn’t obey orders from cops. Their disrespect for authority got themselves killed.

People tend to focus on the force used by the police to subdue the person instead of the person being a jackass and getting themselves in a bad spot to begin with.

You really think Michael Brown charged the cops after getting shot a few times? It doesn’t work like that in the real world only in movies. Unless he was high on PCP, which he wasn’t, if he was shot with with a police revolver he would have been instantly subdued.

He got shot 6 times with a 40 cal. 6 times. That would probably kill a rhino. Whether or not he had it coming is another story.

Garner got murdered by a cop. The coroner ruled it a homicide. He said “I can’t breathe” 11 times. Anyone who defends that cop hasn’t watched the video.

I’m sure some of his 300 pounds of blubber absorbed the bullets.

Do you think he didn’t already reach into the vehicle, forever elevating his POS (Probability of being Shot).

There’s no doubt you should listen to the police when given a command. That is not the point I’m making. It’s whether or not the police are more likely to use aggressive force if they’re up against a black person. Granted, the Garner video isn’t the best POV because he is a felon and we don’t know what happened before the video and what led up to it. All we know is that he was put in a chokehold, which was banned by the NYPD in 1993 (year?).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/12/01/witness-10-proves-darren-wilson-had-a-reasonable-belief-he-needed-to-shoot/

This is a long but good read. Just be careful while reading because it is only from one witness. Basically, the witness is saying MB got in the cop’s (DW) car, tried reaching for the gun and got out. DW got out to pursue. MB turned around and faced DW who said stop a couple of times. DW shot him. MB slowed and stopped but continued charging DW and was shot a few more times.

The only fatal shot he encountered was the one that went throuh the top of his head. The rest were survivable, per the Brown family pathologist, Dr. Baden. The blood trail spans approximately 175 feet from the SUV. Brown’s body was 150 feet from the SUV and a few feet in front of Wilson. That means that Brown ran out 175 feet with Wilson in pursuit, Brown would then have to come back 25 feet. Taking that into consideration along with the audio recordings and the placement of the shell casings we know that Wilson was backpedaling as he fired his final volley of shots. Shell casings tend to land to the back right of the person shooting.

So, yes, a man that stands 6’4" can, and did, cover his final 25 feet very quickly as he was charging Wilson.

There’s no dispute that MB ran away after the initial shooting. After DW pursued him his claim is that MB turned around from a distance of 25 feet and charged him? Why would he do that? Does he really think he’s going to take someone down from that distance unarmed?

In all likelihood DW was very scared and once MB turned around to give up he was startled and fired.

And then ran 25 feet?

Judging from all of the evidence, in all likelihood you are wrong.

I don’t know where you got this from. “Hands up, don’t shoot” campaign? Whether or not he actually had his hand up is up for debate. We might never know. I also don’t know why MB would charge from 25 feet. Decision making isn’t the best in 18 year olds. But hindsight is 20-20. We can all look at it and say that DW should have called for back up first before approaching MB.