Question?

I have received a letter in the mail yesterday informing me that my drivers license has been automatically suspended for 90 days because I have reached 12 demerit point in the past 5 years. Im obviously very sad and frustrated, this will make my life a lot harder I don’t mind taking the bus or the train to go study but sometimes people have to run errands. The last ticket I got was about a month ago and it was for not switching lanes when an emergency vehicle had someone stopped on the right its obviously my fault for not being aware of that law at the time but the price I paid for not knowing was pretty expensive including 6 demerits points out of 12. I only had another 2 tickets back in 2011 and 2012, which is why I kind of feel mistreated.

Please be advised that this is the traffic law applied in Canada. Here is my question: is it the same law system in the USA or you guys have a complete different framework? In simpler terms do you get points added to your license every time you get a stupid ticket that stays on your driving record for 5 to 7 years? If not, a little overview would be appreciated.

why?

I believe it varies by state, but i think the point system is pretty typical and 12 points sounds like the “normal” amount to have your license suspended. For all the talk about safety though, tickets here are really about revenue, so most jurisdictions will knock a ticket down to a non-point violation that still has a fine if you go to court. Even cops here will often cut you a break if you’re not a jerk and write you up for a non-point violation. You can also get points eliminated by attending safe driver classes, which of course you pay for.

Maybe he’s thinking about moving to the US and wonders if his wanton disregard for public safety will be viewed as harshly.

No I`m just curious to compare both haha something to talk about with my lawyer…

you dont have to be devastated or sad this can happen to anyone there is nothing wrong with taking the bus either we all do. Im from Ohio I think our driving rules are more complicated we have from class one up to class 7 suspension depending on your offense. I was suspended to a full year at a point I know how you feel dont let it bother you.

dude! im from NYC i never got my license yet there is so much traffic you might as well just take the subway out here. its not a big deal trust me watch the 90 days fly by

I absolutely have no problem bussing at all! I been doing that my whole life especially for school.

Should you ever be pulled over for (suspected) drunk driving, take the breathalyzer. Declining it results in an immediate suspension of your license and you lose out on a great way to get out of a DUI. A good lawyer can often fight that the breathalyzer was administered incorrectly or the results are false.

In most US states, the points will expire after a few years. So, offenses committed in 2011 or 2012 would likely no longer count on your record. Clearly, Canada is the land of oppression where all freedoms of citizens are subject to being revoked.

As soon as you sober up, also make sure your lawyer hooks you up with a doctor who will diagnose you with an inner ear disorder. That will help explain away you inability to stand during the physical tests. You should also see a speech therapist to help with your slurred speech.

looool

I Luv Canada! the land of the free. Justin Trudeau is the man!

In college I got my one and only DUI. When they took me back to the station to do some sobriety tests they fired up the video camera and asked me to do various things. One of the first things was the simple walking in a straight line. I fell over and told them I was too drunk to continue.

The next day, I met with a lawyer to see what my options were. When I explained they had me on video saying I was too drunk to take the sobriety test, the lawyer declined to take my case.

my license was banned for 3 years before

Did you run over a Mountie’s horse or something?

the criminal history stays on your record and you have to go to court to get it expunged

[quote=“Sweep_the_Leg”]

Wow that must have hurt really bad

yeah tell me about it…

Never happened.