Repeal & Replace - American Health Care Act

so its out…yall happy or nah?

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/322609-gop-releases-bill-to-repeal-and-replace-obamacare

http://www.businessinsider.com/obamacare-repeal-replace-bill-text-2017-3

Haven’t had a chance to read anything about it, but based on what was said on the morning shows…no, not happy. Apparently they completely left out eliminating state barriers to increase competition. That was the one thing I really wanted to see.

Sounds like Obamacare lite. In principal, it still subsidizes low income people’s insurance, but to a lesser extent and with more risk to the individual. There isn’t a lot of substance about actual cost reduction (other than the Medicaid payment caps), which is not great…

Can anyone explain to me why it’s a good idea to get rid of the individual mandate? The way I see it, only healthy people and people who can’t afford health insurance will not purchase it. When the people who can’t afford health insurance get sick, tax payers will end up bearing the burden of their medical needs anyway. Net, seems to me we only lose healthy people from the insured universe, which increases costs overall.

This seems overly simplistic so I’m assuming the bill drafters have thought this through, so what am I getting wrong? Or is mandating medical insurance an infringement on freedom and liberty per the right wingers?

Despite both the ACA and ACHA names, the issue is that our politicians focus on reforming health insurance rather than health care. Health care is too expensive. How you split up the insurance is really a side show.

^So why is healthcare so expensive?

browsed the first couple pages. Anti-abortion language starts as soon as page 3.

In no particular order:

Medical school too expensive

Malpractice insurance too expensive

Drug prices too high

Many people with low co-pays and low deductibles overuse the healthcare system

New hospitals are built more like high-end hotels than medical facilities, driving up construction costs

Drs. who are afraid of getting sued order too many tests

Billing fraud

^I can’t believe in 2017 we are still arguing about abortion.

In PA, an orthopedic surgeon I talked to with his own practice said he made about $500k a year (this is in the country) but paid about half of that to his insurance.

agree. It is truly pathetic.

US health providers are subject to limitless malpractice liabilities, and also do not provide price transparency. In addition, supply of medical professionals is severely restricted due to the additional years required in training and limited number of residency spots allocated by the AMA. Drugs are more expensive in the US due to monopoly rights. On top of that, US health services tend to be over prescribed and over diagnosed, since providers have zero incentive to save on costs.

One thing the Republican plan does better, in my opinion, is that is shifts the burden of payment, and therefore the decision to pursue medical services, more to the customer. This will increase price sensitivity and incentivize providers to price treatments more competitively. However, there is still a long way to go in changing the way insurance companies and patients negotiate with providers, which is the center of the cost issue. Other steps, like tort reform, seem to be unaddressed.

why isnt money being spent on preventative care?

its like with a car - if you change oil, refill fluids, change breaks, etc regularly the car will last a really long time and will be cheaper to own in the long run vs not doing any of that and just spending a ton when sh*t breaks

Exactly. That’s why we teach abstinence in school. The only way to prevent pregnancy and STDs is to not have sex at all. The ultimate preventative measure.

^False, immaculate conception. Also, this chick in high school got pregnant and herpes from a toilet seat. No one is safe.

This- we really need to address the fat epidemic in this country. 1/3 of Americans are obese, not just overweight but obese. Children are developing type 2 diabetes. This stuff was totally unheard of just a generation ago. We waste so much money on programs telling kids not to do drugs etc. but we feed them poison in school cafeterias.

ahahahah.abstinence. Sweep the Leg is now known as “Peggy Sue” on AF.

Don’t hate on abstinence just because yours is involuntary.

Yeah but the republicans aren’t ever going to bother with this. Their entire base represents the fattest parts of the country. Let the people keep their guns and sugar.

Good lord. RIP.