Repeal & Replace - American Health Care Act

A big part of the problem is administrative nonsense, too many middle men, and too many ways to get unjustified payouts from the physician or the physician’s insurance company (I’m not against it in the appropriate circumstances, but there are skeezeball lawyers who make a ton of money on things that they shouldn’t be). There are certainly doctors who order a lot of CYA tests, but there are also far more non-physicians who do this due to limited scope of both training and knowledge such as PAs and (D)NPs. It’s quite a long list though.

wow

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/08/this-chart-is-a-powerful-indictment-of-our-current-healthcare-system/?utm_term=.d2d49c1afc05

Yeah, but I mean you have to consider what we’re working with here.

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and outdoor

oh god thats foul BS

bump

6 years of moaning about ACA and now this! GOP has proven they can’t govern.

That’s a very good list. Medical school too expensive: Applies to schools in general. It’s PARTLY because of easy access to capital (any moron can get a student loan of $160,000 to finish four years of college studying communications without any collateral or future potential). And this applies to med schools as well. A gradual annual increase in med school tuition in the US means nothing because ppl can easily finance it. But try doing the same in any other country around the world. There’ll be riots and blood on the streets.

Drug prices too high: Need to drain the swamp to make drug prices competitive. That ain’t happening any time soon.

Many people with low co-pays and low deductibles overuse the healthcare system: Some do, sure. But this is like saying some people exploiting social benefits like TANF are causing the federal budget deficit. It’s a small one.

New hospitals are built more like high-end hotels than medical facilities, driving up construction costs: This applies to universities (and schools) as well.

Drs. who are afraid of getting sued order too many tests: And every test is an opportunity for insurance companies to derive margin.

Sadly, you’re basically right. The republican bill is almost as much a piece of crap as the ACA.

Problem is too many fat asses eating cheeseburgers in the US, unless you ban fast food healthcare cost wil always be high.

There is very little price transparency in healthcare as noted. That is why HSAs (and associated high deductible plans) have been good for the system (and are the future) because these accounts force customers to pay more out of pocket and to press providers on the cost of treatments and to shop around. This is what needs to happen more in healthcare. In addition, I think urgent care centers and minute clinics have been good for the system as these facilities are lower cost than emergency rooms and hospitals for things like broken bones and common cold, flu.

^highly questionable. HSA is a glorified retirement account that benefits the rich. The typical American who barely has savings would not even use this.

HDHP is questionable as well. it shifts the cost to the consumer which seems good, but the consumer might choose to wait until they get really sick before seeking treatment. there are some plans that will cover it fully if it is an life threatening emergency but not preventative. i actually saw a survey where americans would prefer to be really sick than to see the medical bill. slightly funny if it wasnt so sad.

Haha seriously. People who are living paycheck to paycheck aren’t doing so because they’re making tax free contributions to their HSA. Jeez.

I’ve paid zero attention to this whole deal. Just figured it was all about pushing something they want to fail, disgracing Ryan, increasing populist rage, passing the real deal next.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/bannon-health-care-bill.html

HDHP is basically what people have ended up with in the ACA. Both pieces of legislation are crap, but the zealots on each side refuse to acknowledge how crappy their respective plans are. For the past week, every dem that comes on TV talks about the millions of people who will lose coverage under the current republican plan, but they seem to forget that many, if not most, of those people have deductibles that are so high they effectively don’t have coverage now. Again, both plans suck.

I’m not sure why dems chose to put such a shitty plan in place. Since most of them didn’t even read it before passing it, I guess we can write it off to laziness. Republicans, unfortunately, are hampered by the fact that the party has become 2 parties with very little in common anymore, so anything coming out of congress for the next two years is likely to be a disaster.

^^ PA: Idk everything is easier when you are playing from behind. When you are the ones who have to Lead, it becomes more challenging and nuanced. The dems get to kick their feet up now and play hard ball and twist the screws making it hard for them to accomplish anything then sitting back and letting people get pissed at the party who controls both chambers of congress & the white house.

Who knows what would have happened if Dems could have passed what they actually wanted in the ACA, they had to pass that watered down garbage. It pissed people on both sides off, same things going to happen to the repubs. Although I will say the Trump/Bannon language works on The_Donald voters because they still play this game like they are losing, main stream american voters wont give Republicans that same pity. They are in power, they need to produce results. No excuses, just like the dems.

What stopped dems from passing whatever they wanted? They had two years of total control.

cloture, if I said total control it was a mistake. They controlled the houses but not with the 60 needed

The senate passed it with 60 votes including the 2 “independents”. They could have done that with any bill they wanted.

It’s got to be single payer or no payer. All of these plans suck. You can package this turd sandwich any way you want but its still a turd sandwich. Some peeps are going to get stiffed on care and some peeps are going to be paying for it while some lazy free riding fucks abuse it just like any other government program.

^^But the independents & blue dogs limit what can be done, they could not get through what was actually wanted. The legislation had to be watered down to get them to sign on and vote. Dems got blamed for Obamacare cause they held congress & the WH when people hated it.

This one is shaping up much the same. They dont have the votes so they are adding pork and random crap into the bill. Look at the bit added in a big FU to NYC, where all municipalities NY state with less than 5mm people (re: screw you NYC) can reduce their contribution to the states medicaid fund that will have to be made up for by nyc residents. Its the same garbage deals done in Obamacare and the legislation ends up like crap. This time repubs hold congress & the WH, they will all take the egg on their faces.