Gender pay gap

Men should now assume any job offer in the future is going to be low balled in an attempt to narrow (correct) the gap or lower the male average at the group/ company… so you have to respond by holding out and push your salary demand…

I don’t really believe a pay gap exists… bottom line is people accept a job offer at will and if they don’t like it they can always leave… if women are systematically accepting lower offers I don’t see how that is HRs problem.

In the case of Google… I bet there are more male senior execs skewing the averages… and the DOL is just looking at the data too naively. I don’t think they have a salary range for men and a salary range for woman…

the problem is that now all companies are likely to be taking an extra effort to “correct the averages” and one gender is going to get screwed

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tn-google-discrimination-gender-20170411-story.html

what

I would never say this out loud IRL but I’m kind of OK with the pay gap. So much of the stats I’ve seen haven’t factored in different roles into the analysis, ie women earn less but that’s because there are relatively few in senior roles so you’re comparing salaries of people managing funds and people preparing RFPs. That imbalance is a whole different matter but I personally prefer working with men.

Have you ever been in a business meeting where >90% are women? pretty much goes round in circles until someone dies

lol you didnt already assume the first offer you got was the low offer? What a sap. You know when people calculate these pay gap statistics they know a bit more about the subject than you & they are also more well versed in statistics than you. They adjust for those things. The pay gap does exist however its hardly that .75 cents to the dollar number that gets throw out its much smaller. That said women do have to put up with other crap men dont, if you are a 33 year old woman you have to worry about the people hiring wondering if you are going to be having a baby any time soon and stuff like that.

Stop whining about being a man, man up and deal with it. Jesus christ is it the fact that this board is like 90% men? Go on reddit and in male dominated subs you see this pathetic whiny attitude about everything. Woe is me the white male I have it so hard. Its really not the bad, if you get a crap offer dont take it. Good advice for anyone. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

^^ gringo i think it depends. I work with a lot of women & some are just as easy to work with (if not easier) than men, others more difficult. I have a male boss who thinks the sound of his voice is so pleasant all should hear it at all times, I have male teammates you would be able to hear a mouse squeak around. Think its more about workplace culture & personalities that are brought in than a simple male/female dynamic.

On the whole I agree with the sentiment, I think too many females around each other can get catty, but too many men together can turn into a frat douche-athon with them as well. Balance is the name of the game.

+100000

The paranoid bullshit at this place at the mere mention of “women” and “working” is always a laugh and a half. Make >50% of the robo-advisors have a female name and AF would make the LA riots look like a day at the beach.

id assume its insecurity that there is the *gassssp* possibility that a woman may be better than them at their job! Who cares, good for them. Your company is already trying to screw you at all times, they have zero loyalty to you give them the same in return. I like a nice balance in the workplace it keeps the office from getting to much like a bro zoo

Such a sweet move to nail the liberal corporate losers at Google with their own “pay gap” nonsense. :grin:

Wait, you mean there are other factors like men being smarter, and better at reasoning, and better with tech, and harder working??? Golly, I never knew!!!

and right on cue PA shows up to spew his statistics pulled off a blog written by some angry fat white man who lost his steel job and hates colored people and women along with his on extensive experience he’ll extrapolate. He will then proceed to frame his statements in a way that make him sound superior to all others while still pissing away time on the same message board as us plebs, all while using emojis like a 15 year old student athlete on instagram.

^ Evolutionary biology. Science, liberals hate it! :grin:

thats ironic because it appears your boy Trump is the one burying his head in the sand, defunding scientific research in tons of areas and ignoring what scientific evidence because it doesnt agree to what his handlers tell him is good for their stock. Do men & women have differences on average? Yes, are they as extreme as bitter people like PA would have you believe? No, are there plenty of women who are smarter and more capable than PA? Oh yes. I honestly dont know of anyone who thinks as highly of themselves as you, I can see you snapping and shooting up a workplace one day.

gender pay gap exists mostly because the modern waitress prefers an appreciative smile over a tawdry handout

It’s pretty much because women are less likely to get/ask for promotions due to 1) likelihood of having a baby, 2) less likely to ask for raises, and studies have shown this.

You’re 100% right, balance is definitely the name of the game. Personally I prefer 60/40 or 70/30 men, not because of any ingrained misogyny or fear of women, just because I prefer direct communication and outcome based discussions. I’m not saying that certain women don’t also have those traits and personalities are certainly not defined by gender but it plays a part

Nope, having babies, plus the other biology-based parts I listed = all the parts. :bulb:

People pick only the parts they like, and so humans are not capable of an objective analysis, which is why it’s best to leave it to free markets, which naturally result in men outperforming, which result in men getting paid more!

ah yes, the old “current state of things is the natural state of things” argument and that things naturally end up the way they do because of a natural underlying dynamic and not due to a mix of random chance, systemic design, and progression of those systems. Women have only been allowed to become educated and work relatively recently in human history, that by fact means men are smarter and has nothing to do with the fact that we would only allow them to be mothers and teachers for the last 200 years, and only mothers before that.

Again, lets point out PAs condescending tone, assumption he is always right, and the stupid use of emojis. Whats next the underlined 100 emoji?

It’s not fair that women have babies and men don’t, but shouldn’t the company be taking things like potential leave into account? I’m a parent, so I get that having children is also a burden on males in the workforce, but I didn’t need to take months off. I would have liked to, but from a physical standpoint, me adding a son to my collection doesn’t impact my ability to do my job.

I’m a weirdo though. I think police should profile. I think ADA or not, a company should be free to look at the guy with the peg leg and decide he’s not the man for them. I think the baker or the photographer should be able to be a racist or homophobe.

There are two issues with the pay gap for me. Number 1 is does it actually exist? I’m not sure, some people find it does and some don’t the second is even if it exists, is it due to sexism? Should I really care in a hypothetical if the pay gap is entirely behavioral based on females negotiating less than men? Sometimes I think I should, then sometimes I think I shouldn’t.

Yawn, you are anti-science.

It’s 3M years of homo genus evolution. You can take your 200yrs, and social justice warrior nonsense, and stuff em right up your butt. :stuck_out_tongue:

Its fair enough you have those views as long as you accept that the ADA is the law of the land and most people feel businesses should have non-discriminatory practices. I think every man on here would start crying if they got fired for wanting to cut out early a few days to try and watch their kids baseball game, which again I dont think should matter but yes being a parent is a burden on a company. Then again, if that company wants to exist in the future, they should certainly encourage their employees to have children. Its a necessary evil.