Negativity

Would you keep someone in your life if they become extremely negative? ie, all they talk about is trivial gripes like minor issues with neighbours, constant moaning about things most others would see as a positive like vacations etc. Otherwise no hobbies or interests, no chat, no fun.

It’s been almost 2 years with no sign of improvement or any willingness to make any changes. Am I heartless b ast ard for thinking of cutting them loose?

Yeah cut them loose, you don’t want to be surrounded by people like that unless its your spouse.

No; on the contrary, you’re a hero for letting them vent for 2 years - I bet that’s way longer than anyone else would have withstood.

What if you are married to the person?

Then it depends on the pre-nup situation

You definitely need marriage counseling.

call her out on her bs.

shit will either improve, or get more heated. either way it’ll improve or it’ll end soon. lol

throw some Turd mantras at them. if that doesn’t work, bombard with alex jones to get woke. if not woke after 3 months, cut loose, but not before declaring at every possible moment that you are a higher form human; enlightened

Is this your spouse, or a life long friend, or family? What’s the connection/

Don’t be a millennial and just ghost this person though, make sure you take them out to a nice meal and have a heart to heart discussion about what’s bothering you about their behavior. But make sure you show them respect and take them out to a nice place, like Cheesecake Factory.

I don’t know about the cheesecake. 24 hours of farts isn’t going to help his situation.

Not a fan of your own brand?

I’ve always thought it was strange that people would do these things in public. cheesecake factory seems like an appropriate venue though, there or applebys

For me, it serves as a cautionary tale about the perils of giving up your job/career after an extended period of time working in a structured office environment. It’s not easy to transition from something you’ve been used to for 10+ years to having a lots of free time and vastly reduced personal interaction. It’s almost like the level of stress in your life is an absolute level dictated by your character and no matter what you’re doing with your life you will fill it with other things, no matter how inconsequential they are.

Chuck e cheeses.

Sounds like the whining has always been there, but now their regular outlet is gone.

2 years is long enough. I had a buddy like this but I had to close it out because his negativity was bringing me down every time we’d hang out. It was like mini depression talking to him. You just have to manage your exposure, go out for a coffee every quarter, play a game and book it right after, 1hr slots here and there etc. Cutting them out forever is a bit cold but you also don’t deserve to be waterboarded.

You become who you hang out with. I try to distance myself from negative people and limit my communication with these kinds of people. If this is a spouse or SO then you need to get into counseling.

Maybe I’m being too harsh based on the content of the stories, ie when it was about not getting a promotion or totally unfavourable working conditions i was sympathetic but now that it’s about someone in the building parking slightly squint or someone at the call centre for an energy provider not responding properly to a spurious complaint then I can’t even get slightly interested in that chat.

Maybe they just need to get railed.

why you marry her in the first place