Teens laugh as man drowns

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-utterly-inhumane-cruel-apos-110218071.html

tldr: teens heard laughing for over 2 minute while man was drowning in front of them. wont face criminal charges

disgusting. but id rather not create a law for it.

This has the video

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-oh-just-died-apos-042015634.html

They better hope Harvard isn’t paying attention…

If laughing at people dying slowly in front of me is a crime, then lock me up.

i think at some point you have to treat people as an accessory of some sort in this situation. you are an accessory if you don’t report a crime. i don’t see much difference between being an accessory of a criminal that did something that had nothing to do with you and being an accessory to a death that had no perp. if the law, and in turn accessory laws, is/are in place to generally benefit society and create rules based on social consensus then it should be a crime of some sort to willfully and completely abstain from helping someone in a life and death situation.

that guy would not have been an easy save though. he was really far away, unless you are a good swimmer., and even then, would you be able to reach him in time. i think the outrage is due to the lack of sympathy by the teens for the person who just died.

at the very least you contact emergency services. you’re going to have to call them after he’s dead anyway. might as well call them while he’s dying.

i’m not expecting people to exert extreme effort or put their life at risk to save someone but calling emergency services so the person has a chance to live should be required by law.

we disagree then. i dont think you should get in trouble just cuz u choose not to help others.

helping to do a crime is very different from choosing not to give a lending hand.

“you are an accessory if you don’t report a crime.” - is this true?!

so the law requires you to snitch?! haha thats sort of hilarious. lol

Where is the line? You probably had a discretionary purchase in the past month that could have fed someone in a poverty stricken country for a year. Sounding like Peter Singer in this thread now. . . How do we determine what your law will require? Do they have to be within natural vision? Seems like one of those sounds good in theory, but doesn’t work in practice kind of laws.

I just heard that they’ll be charged with failing to report a death; that one’s on the books.

America lacks judgment , everything for them has to be a written law. So petty and small.

Alphie- God loves you; but almost everyone else thinks you’re an a-hole.

#truth

^ Hey kiddo, it’s your country in free fall. Don’t be mad at me , I told you years ago! :bulb:

^I can’t argue with an idiot like you. You’ll only drag me down to your level, and beat me with experience.

#ConventionalWisdom

Apparently the victim and bystanders all were black. It’s not farfetched to imagine that none of them could swim.

Idea: they should give those dum dums 4yrs of “soft prison”; military academy, hard labor to pay for the whole thing, hard conservatism, hard beatings for failure. Sort those liberal punks out.

I don’t argue kiddo, I analyze/forecast, win, and take everyone’s money.

With all respect Wendy, but that’s racist. Lol. Obvi that guy can swim to reach the middle. Prolly cramped up. It happens sometimes

Obviously, they should’ve used their cellphone to call 911, rather than using it to record a video.

On the other hand, the outcome almost certainly would’ve been the same… help that arrives in 10 to 20 minutes isn’t going to benefit a man that drowns in 4 minutes.