Mass Tourism

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/11/tourism-tipping-point-travel-less-damage-destruction

Is this going to become a major issue? It seems like most of the problems are caused by the cruise ship w a nkers as they don’t tend to spend much where they go.

Was thinking it was about the Chinese before I opened the link.

In fairness the Chinese are by far the most annoying tourists. I read recently that they spend 8 times the average of all other tourists.

I thought it was going to be about vacationing in Massachusetts.

Lol you read about all these complaints about tourists then you look at the towns complaining… they literally survive on tourism. Would love to see their Greek style riots after tourism dries up.

Was recently in the UK and noticed that pretty much everyone in London is some sort of tourist or non-perm. That’s got to be scary from an economic standpoint.

bollocks, they mind their own business unlike those 20 something brits with spiky hair.

that said, we went with a tour group to china recently and they took us to a jade factory, a silk factory and a tea factory where you are offered things at the end for a price. very subtle!!

i dont get visiting other places to see shit? cant you just go on youtube and see the same shit. if i want to experience china, i go to panda express. mexico, i go to taco bell. italy, olive garden. lol

^ please tell me you’re joking?

yeah that has to be a wind up

they mind their own business to the point where they have absolutely no inclination to engage with locals and have very little respect for local customs and rules. They seem to just want to buy an experience and get a photo. I’m generalising of course.

The UK is overrun with tourists at the moment because of the weak pound. I’m in Edinburgh at the moment and the entire city is like Times Square

nothing reinforces colonial dominance like modern day tourism. except now colonial dominance is reinforced by people from all countries. quite ironic.

customer is always right. if they dont get that concept, then i understand why their economy is shitty enough that they need tourism.

I live in a major tourist spot. One of the city’s major sources of revenue is tourism. We have a Carnival cruise ship parked on the water nearly every other day. I think some cities are forced to continue catering to tourists as they supply the funds needed to keep the citying going, the restaurants, attractions, etc.

Nerdy, do you work in the industry?

Where do you stay brah? I thought Cali for some reason but now im thinking some cool exotic place like Missouri or Tennesse

well everyone is buying an experience to an extent, are we really going to complain if they are buying it in a different manner?

don’t really wanna go there but a disinclination to engage locals and lack of respect is just as prominent amongst caucasian tourists as chinese or whatever. you’ve been around the block enough, you know this.

also tourists do take the services that should be reserved for the locals. so i guess i kind of understand the sentiment against tourists. at least that what happened to me in tropico when i was el presidente.

also i have never worked in the industry. but i know people who work in hotels. i did work in qsr industry though. and when i fuck up i always gave free shit. lol. how would you like an extra side of mash and gravy. lol

you weird homie, on another note im gonna try that coke line tomo and see how it goes lol

Fair point about everyone buying an experience. With Chinese tourists it seems much more superficial, just a need to get lots of photos, buy up everything and move on without scratching the surface.

I’m probably just annoyed as it seems to be a national trait to have no spacial awareness and they always get in my way, stand in doorways, block pavements and all those kind of things that make British people angry.