WSJ vs. NYT vs. FT (and others)

(this is an extension of the “investments in real life” thread)

What do you read and why? Doesn’t have to be limited to these three. If you read Forbes, Fortune, Businessweek, Economist, Barron’s, Harvard Business Review, IBD, etc., let me know what they’re good for.

I read TMZ so I can stay on top of current trends and the latest gossip.

I read AF and Reddit. Occasionally Imgur for dank memes and shitposts.

This guy internets.

WSJ used to be good. The I started reading it only for the opinion section, then not at all.

Interested to hear feedback on the other names though. Dont know much about barrons or HBR. They could be interesting. Also thinking of picking up a scrip to the financial analysts journal. Possibly also an academic finance journal if I can find a good one.

The most important news source in finance now is… Bloomberg news. No joke. Every single trader or portfolio manager has the Top News panel somewhere on their screen, and this is where most people get their news first, even if they later read about it in more depth somewhere else.

WSJ is probably the second most important. It is not as timely as Bloomberg, but they have a lot of aggressive journalists who write very intersesting and relevant stories about finance topics.

I used to read Barron’s, but I think the content is too micro for me. Maybe it matters if you care about single company fundamentals.

NYT tries to put a social mission spin on everything lately. They still have quality content, but the wailing about politics is just draining.

Economist is a very good magazine. It is the rare publication that claims to be “liberal” but tries to treat every topic objectively. If, for instance, there is a good argument against their point of view, Economist will address it or even say “we could be wrong if…”, which is in good intellectual spirit.

I read AF and GOT theories regardless of the source.

100% agree. It does leave the door open for counter-points (often providing them as well), continuity in coverage, well written and has some good perspective. I enjoy my subscription a lot, the audio book feature is professionally done and well read. Probably the only subscription where I feel good about paying because it is an important, values its integrity (almost got acquired but there was an employee buyout at the last minute), balanced news source that the world needs more than ever now. Perhaps the greatest plaudit a person could receive is to be featured in the Economist obituary (my life goal).

Otherwise, Bloomberg and BBC as counterpoints for news/markets, AF for politics, reddit for general curiosities

*runs cover photo of Trump speaking into a KKK hat*

That’s not even the worst part though. The whole “getting everything wrong that’s happened the past few years” thing is what I think turned most people off. To each their own though.

What are you referring to as “everything” that they got wrong? They did not predict Brexit or Trump’s victory, but few others did. You are also not acknowledging the 80% of their content that is comprised of thoughtful discussion on other global issues. Of course, I would expect that the concept of intellectual discourse is not something that you are familiar with, and I forgive you for this.

I find FT the most insightful. If I was having to pay for one financial news source, it would be FT. The others don’t really stand out above the free resources. But FT doesn’t impact markets as much because of the pay wall I assume

Bloomberg, WSJ, FT, and Barrons (I just canceled my subscription though). I used to read the economist, but they’ve become too liberal. I also listen to bloomberg radio throughout the day.

Reddit is class but that different front page based on the country you’re in is pissing me of

I used to read WSJ and NYT… but now just NYT.

I recommend the daily shot if you have wsj. They compile about 50 of the most popular charts that people made relating to the economy on a daily basis. They have a short caption of each pic

I don’t like to read a lot. I like one liners. Bazinggggggg

Well said. Only thing I don’t like about BB is all the annoying ads that can make reading articles near unbearable.

I also recommend business insider. They are pretty good at keeping up with News plus great content on specific topics. Finance insider, business insider. Chart of the day.

wall street breakfast

WSJ, FT, Bloomberg and CNBC website.

here is a great article on business insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/clusterstock

http://www.businessinsider.com/lee-cooperman-attack-against-bill-ackmans-adp-position-2017-8

finance’s version of tmz, lots of drama:

BILLIONAIRE BARRAGE: Lee Cooperman is stepping up his attack against Bill Ackman

In an interview with CNBC last week, ADP CEO Carlos Rodriguez compared Ackman’s request to extend the deadline for nominating board members to “a spoiled brat in school asking the teacher for an extension for their homework.” Pershing Square has said that Rodriguez “unfairly characterized” their interactions to make the fund’s efforts “appear unreasonable.”

“He’s conducting himself in a very destructive manner,” said Cooperman, the founder of Omega Advisors, a multi-billion New York-based hedge fund.

“I’m not in the business of criticizing people, but I think this is disgraceful,” he told Business Insider Thursday, his voice rising.

“I think his conduct is irresponsible. There’s a way of dealing with it; he could have quietly presented his findings to the company, allow them to digest it. The company has been run as an open book.”

“He’s a hot dog trying to create maximum publicity without regard for the implications to management and the costs involved with this proxy fight,” Cooperman said.

ADP, he said, was worth about $10 million in the early 1960s and had steadily added value, worth about $60 billion today. “There are very few companies that can sustain that,” he said.

“I don’t have a strong opinion on the merits of his view,” Cooperman said of Ackman’s investment thesis. “I have a strong opinion on his comportment and civility.”

“He makes a big deal that he spoke with 85 former executives,” Cooperman said. “I know for a fact the last three CEOs have not spoken with him.”

Earlier on Thursday, Pershing Square presented its thesis on ADP. When asked what he thought about it, Cooperman said: “You don’t follow what the f— I’m saying,” his voice rising. “I’m talking about the merits of his conduct.”

He shows up and says he’s studied the company for six months. Why does he wait for the last minute for an audience with the board?" Cooperman said, adding, “The company is right. Who does he think he is? Given the company’s performance, if he was constructive, he should have waited a year … the company runs an open door policy … they’d have been happy to hear what he had to say … He has chutzpah to ask them to extend the window.”

Cooperman contacted Business Insider in response to a reportearlier Thursday about an ADP board director whose position at Columbia Business School, which receives money from Pershing Square, poses a potential conflict. Cooperman took issue with the relationship being described as a conflict, calling it “bulls–t.” When Business Insider responded that three academics in the story had described the relationship as such, he said, “you shouldn’t feed that bulls–t.”