Crypto

I’ve followed the crypto market closely for the past couple of years, researching Bitcoin, Ethereum, ICOs, and everything else from an investment standpoint. I’m fascinated by these technologies and how fast the space is growing. Whenever I bring up anything crypto-related to colleagues or friends in the profession I usually get a “cool story bro”. Up to this point it seems like the profession has largely disregarded anything in the crypto market. I haven’t met another person in the investment profession who any interest in the crypto market whatsoever. has Am I the only investment professional on the planet interested in crypto?

WTF does that even mean, researching? There’s nothing to research. It’s all make believe stuff. Only guys who get into this stuff ate drug dealers and libertarian ideologues who like it more abstractly than for what it actually is.

my homie pokhim in it

Well, it is certainly interesting, but an asset with 100% annualized vol doesn’t belong in my portfolio at the moment.

Definitely not, but most are too butt hurt to admit it.

i’d venture to say everyone in the community is interested and follows it on a continual basis. i wouldnt mind subscribing to a ICO

I don’t feel I understand it enough to make any big moves in crypto.

yeah wrong thread.

ive followed cryptos for years, bought some bitcoin in like 2011 or 2012 for $25 (sadly sold at ~200) and read up on developments but dont have the excess capital to put into it and dont feel strongly about it one way or another. I find it an incredibly interesting experiment though

What the wise man does in the beginning, the fool does in the end… I don’t even know what’s going on so I’m staying away. Mentioned it in the thread in the investing forum, one of my super IT savvy friends said back then said “hp, can you please loan me some money to build a mining rig? Bitcoins are around a buck now, they will go up with time as more people find out about! We’ll split the profits HP!!!”

:frowning: x $10,000,000+

Dude… i’m in it. Don’t understand much about it… not many people do. There is far too much hype and BS around which adds to volatility. You look at all the bitcoin forums and people are hyping up ICOs so they can pump and dump. 99% of all these currencies will be dead in 2020.

The whole premise of this crypto stuff is that it makes transactions faster and more secure. At some point in the future one of these currencies will take off - a major bank will start using it to transfer currency around the globe and eliminate all settlement times. It may also be used a value storage.

Personally… i don’t have a view on which currency is going to make it big. So i just bot equal amounts of the top by market cap - LiteCoin, BitCoin, Ripple and Ethereum… I have it stashed in a wallet and maybe (just maybe) in 10-20yrs time that wallet till be worth +£1m. Better to be in than out…

I’m interested but haven’t followed it closely until recently.

My story is similar to hp’s. One of my buddies started mining bitcoin in the early years and tried to convince me to get in on it. At the time I was more interested in motorcycle parts. He recently sold a f*ckton of it and has retired (at 29!) to travel the world and podcast.

Now it’s so high that I’m not comfortable trying to get in. I’ve looked into Ethereum, but still don’t understand how it works well enough.

This, I know quite a few people that seem to have just got in at the right time. I have one buddy who seems to really understand it, but I’m still not quite sold. I get the more efficient general ledger and contracts piece of the tech. I’m not sure I buy into bitcoin and others completely replacing the current monetary system.

I also am very skeptical of the whole ICO process. Not a lot of visibility, yet a tremendous amount of money has been sunk into the space in a relatively short time period. To be fair, I haven’t looked at an ICO pitch, but it just seems too scary for me.

i got a buddy who made like $1.2m on bitcoin. the amount they invested quadrupled if not quintupled. at its peak it was like 20% of their net worth. anyways, they have sold it and paid off some mortgages. they started with a bitcoin mining operation.

there is a netflix documentary on bitcoin. have not checked it out yet, it was recommended to me after i saw the ackman documentary. anyways, i’ll report back when i watch it.

i will never buy bitcoin ever.

Has anyone ever looked at all of these cryptocurrencies? Not just Bitcoin or Ethereum…the small ones. I knew there were a lot of them but it is beyond ridiculous – there are hundreds of them and they are worth a lot. People are creating these things out of thin air and selling them for hundreds of thousands of dollars to complete suckers. I’m sure the sales pitch is “if you bought Bitcoin in 2012 you’d be a millionaire…here is your chance to get in”. The cryptocurrencies with the 200th to 300th largest market capitalizations are valued in total between $2.9 million and $8.4 million. That is a lot of money for these things. “HempCoin”, “TrumpCoin”, “DopeCoin”. Programmers/Developers are having a field day. What a total scam.

you know you hit the top when …

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3oiThw2RxE]

Dude, but what about Jack who bought the magic beans? He grew a f u cking hench beanstalk and scaled that s h it beyond the clouds. How many muppets turned down those beans before Jack jumped in?

Buy all the coins you can, buy buy buy. You’re guaranteed not to lose!! Trust me, I’m a Charterholder.

why bitcoin price is so high it’s because: 1st the hype and the speculative bubble but also because they have limited supply, 21 millions. So far only 16.5 millions has been mined, that’s mean price will most likely continue to grow until the breaking point of 21 millions, at that time people will start to check others crypto like Ether (which is by far better than bitcoin) because no more mining could be done with bitcoin. Bitcoin will loose interest in profit of others cryptocurrencies, cryptocurrency that have no limited supply where people can continue to do mining.

Btw mining it’s what support block chain, you “rent” your server in exchange of some cryptocurrency, it’s like a commission.

I’m interested in crypto’s as a currency, but not as an investment. Which is to say, I see a lot of utility in the product existing, but I’m not certain it has the necessary features to remain a vehicle for growth. It seems like every jackoff with an advanced degree in mathematics could make their own version of one of these and assuming they had solid tech, would be able to provide all the functional utility of bitcoin or etherium or whatever else. Assuming that is the case, and I’ve not yet seen evidence that it isn’t, there’s nothing but bubble here on the investment front.