DACA

i dont get what Bernie is crying about. its the law amiright6???

Yea, that is totally worse than Obama killing thousands of civilians with drones. Get out of here

Everyone always says “this is against what the nation stands for”, but what is that exactly?

Freeeeedoooom!

Crazy Bernie! You didn’t speak up about what the DNC did! No longer relavent except on very fake news!

not being uncompassionate ***hole by threatening to deport people who have been in a country basically their whole life is one thing

The US does not allow other people to keep good fortune based on illegal premises. Why is this different? Ultimately, millions of people would like to move to better countries. Millions of people in all kinds of unfortunate situations arguably deserve better circumstances. Why should the US choose some people to win a life lottery because their parents broke laws in a particular way?

Yep, I’m sure there are tons of people who would charter planes full of people into the US to bring their families over if they could, yet we’re going to pick and choose which people get to break the law? Sad!

I find it strange as well. I’ve done an informal poll of people I know. Turns out, most Americans have no clue how citzenship has changed. They still have in their minds Ellis Island and a very welcoming nation. It is really peculiar that it seems to be such a high priority within our culture, but you’d never guess it from our laws.

Maybe the illusion is perpetuated by the fact that the US naturalizes more people every year than currently live in the entire state of Vermont, or small cities like Seattle, Boston, Washington DC, Denver and Detroit. Or maybe they look across the pond and see that Spain, Italy, UK, Germany, and France combined grant citizenship to fewer people every year than the US does.

where do you send these kids though? back to where their parents are from? they aren’t from there.

do native indians get to uprise and send me back to scotland for my families arrival under now universally criminal pretense? where do you draw the line? i think you draw the line at you can’t send someone back to a country they never came from…

^So how do you solve for the problem of illegals dumping their kids here?

They did come from those countries though, just as children. It is unfortunate that Mexico or other countries are such undesirable places that people who are used to the US cannot live there, but ultimately, that is not really the responsibility of the US government. This is definitely a question of privilege, not culture. If young people in Mexico were told to immigrate to the US, where they were born, far fewer people would object.

What is most concerning about this policy, is that it creates an incentive for people to stay in the US illegally, and raise children who will face complications later in life. It is cruel to encourage parents to illegally immigrate by dangling them a carrot of amnesty for their children. In fact, if the US was more aggressive at enforcing immigration laws to begin with, far fewer children would find themselves in this difficult position of having stayed in the US illegally for most of their lives.

The complicating issue in repealing DACA is that these kids have already been told that they can stay. So, many parties, including families, the immigrants, and employers, have already made plans that assume they will be able to stay in the country. Rapid reversals of US policy can cause economic disruptions and other harms, so it might be better to let the existing batch of DACA amnesty receivers keep their status, even if the policy is not extended to future immigrants.

+1

burden of proof. if you’re going to take away a child resident’s rights, it should be on the nation to prove birth occurred somewhere else. as the us also has the fifth amendment, without family providing the information freely, proving foreign birth would be very difficult. this is a basic rights issue.

also, aren’t DACA folks somewhat educated and non-criminals. i can’t understand why anyone would be against a group of children “or former children” who are lawful citizens with at least something to give to society.

I disagree. Do you have a birth certificate? If the answer is yes, then it will tell us where you were born.

If the answer is no, then you weren’t born in the US and cannot claim citizenship. (It’s the same with marriages and deaths–you have to be able to prove them.)

this is a very good point. the us has already spent money educating these individuals to be productive in us society, heck some of them prolly have american ideals. i think we need to grant amnesty but initiate harsher laws on potential illegal immigration in the future.

i dont agree with the need to for our nation to spend resources to prove that these individuals were born somewhere else. provide identification or get deported. i dont believe it is a basic rights issues, the constitution are american rights, not for foreigners.

i have heard of cases where these immigrants are able to sue the us government. its a bit hilarious considering they were already illegally educated here by using false docs. in fact i feel that we should be allowed to impose higher taxes on daca, consider it a path to citizenship tax.

From 4chan via reddit:

>Mexico send immigrant childs to the US

>the American taxpayers fund their education, health, and professional training

>Trump ends DACA

>now hundreds of qualified workers go back to Mexico even though Mexico didn’t invest a dollar in them

Mexican 4d chess

^thats what i mean,

we need to think about this like the capitalist nation we are.

it costs the us government roughly 25k in the federal budget to fund a person. i believe we should initiate a 25k fee for all foreigners who want to stay + a percentage of their income after the nominal tax is taken out. that way the ones that can stay are the ones that are profitable.

people like this should be allowed to stay:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/13/julissa-arce-undocumented-immigrant-memoir-goldman-sachs

I support an accelerated path to citizenship for them as long as they have no criminal record other than being here illegally. This cannot be an ongoing path to citizenship though, so as silly as it might sound, I would start running TV and radio ads in Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, China and India making it very clear that if you bring your child into the US illegally from now on, that child will be deported when they are discovered. I would also make future “dreamers” ineligible for any type of public education, including college education from an institution that receives any federal money. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have to prove that a child is here legally to be allowed to enroll him or her in public school.