Apple Watch 3

Looks kind of interesting, especially paired with bluetooth headphones. If you have the Apple Watch 3 and paired with wireless headphones then it seems you can fulfill the functions of voice calls and music/podcast streaming without a phone. Pretty awesome, actually. Texting would be annoying, as would anything on the web I think. Anyone have an Apple watch to describe the user experience?

I bought my wife an Apple Watch. She’s a teacher and she can’t carry her phone around with her, so it works for her. She can just look down at her wrist to see what’s going on.

I sit at a desk all day, so the Apple Watch doesn’t really have much benefit for me.

^When you’re in meetings, it’s a lot more discreet to check your watch than to check your phone if/when you get a call or text.

i want a watch phone

When I am in a boring meeting, I start texting as a power move to undermine the confidence of the guy who is talking. It’s super effective in a 1 on 1 meeting like annual performance reviews. Sometimes, I don’t have anyone to text to, so I just move my thumbs to pretend.

I actually think cellular functionality in the new Apple Watch is the most interesting thing Apple announced yesterday. In theory, if Siri’s voice dictation functionality continues to improve (or is good enough right now, I wouldn’t know I’ve never used it) an Apple Watch could replace voice, text, and email functionality of the iPhone which is a very large portion of my current usage on the device.

I bought Mrs. higgmond an Apple watch for her birthday and it’s pretty cool. I considered one for myself, but I like wearing my traditional watches and also don’t want to get locked in to the Apple ecosystem. I can’t imagine trying to text on it, but as king_kong said, voice recognition could be the answer. The voice recognition on my Galaxy S3 was great. I did voice to text and email all the time before switching to the iPhone 6.

I got the Apple Watch with cellular for Father’s Day (thanks Hallmark!). It is pretty slick. I rolled out on a run with it with blue tooth headphones and it was liberating having nothing whatsoever in my pockets while listening to tunes and tracking my workout. I also wore it during some weight lifting and I was actually surprised how high my heart rate would get on heavy lifts.

So far, I’ve found the heart rate monitor to mirror my Suunto Ambit 2s pretty closely, which was a concern with a wrist mounted monitor. I do not miss putting on the chest strap either. It is definitely not a replacement for a phone, but it is great to stay connected without carrying the phone around. Also, when you talk into it you feel like Dick Tracy. On the downside, I got my first shower phone call today.

you named your kid Hallmark?

Nah, named him Apple, like Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin’s kid. It’s good branding.

Bought myself an apple watch ~1 month ago, and I really like it.

I got the cellular one, and I think it would seriously hamper the value proposition to not get the cellular enabled one.

Texting actually isnt as terrible as you might think…the “scribble” thing is slick for short texts.

edit: Only drawbacks I’ve noticed so far is that it doesn’t have spotify (so you have to switch to apple music, if you aren’t already there), and it doesn’t have the apple podcast app either.

I can see the appeal, I just can’t bring myself to do it. Not really a tech guy.

I felt the same and resisted the temptation to buy a smart watch for a while. But after buying one a few months ago, never looked back. Great for fitness tracking and listening to music without a phone nearby. It’s also been helpful a couple of times when I left my phone at home and could still receive important calls/texts (and check news and sports scores). I have an Android smart watch, not the apple watch.

For context, you have to weigh this against the fact that I went to a full flip phone several years ago and never looked back.

Got it – I am into most tech stuff, but held out on smart watches until recently. I’m slowly switching to smart devices throughout the home (now using my phone to control lights, the thermostat, sprinkler system, etc).

anyone know if Higgs is doing okay? haven’t seen him in a long time

I had one but still series 1. It serves as proposed. Good for quick checking messages and mail in meetings or while driving a car. It’s good for leaving a Star Trek or James Bond appearance while answering a call directly from the watch while waiting in line in banks, post office or local store. Stainless steel larger version with Milanese loop looks much more elegant than a cheaper aluminum one.

dont have 1 but have gifted it to people. most people i gave it to, love it. and they are on the older side.

i personally will not buy 1 until i can use it as a replacement for the phone.

You are never going to want to watch videos on it, so it will never be a full replacement for a phone.