50+ dead, 400+ injured in Vegas mass shooting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/10/02/police-shut-down-part-of-las-vegas-strip-due-to-shooting/

Awful.

saw it in the morning, i had some friends that went to it too. hopefully they’re ok.

i was thinking of going to escape this month too, but i think i’ll skip this one.

horrific - thoughts are with the friends and families of the victims

did the terrorist open fire from an adjacent tower?

edit: bbc figure

Terrorist!? He was a lone wolf! Learn2media.

^I know exactly what I said, sir.

You immediately came to mind when I heard LV. Figured country music wasn’t your thing though. Glad you weren’t there in anycase and hope your friends are okay.

Cartoon from 2011. Just change a couple facts in the first panel and it still applies. It will always apply.

most are ok, just waiting to hear back on 1. but yes, you’re absolutely right, i hate country, i dont like music festivals either.

Those gold Mandalay buildings are gaudy as F.

i stayed at the penthouse suite on my first business trip when i was a consultant. was randomly bumped to it. stayed there for 3 days. lol

@Frisian - that cartoon (IMHO) shows a lot of ignorance. Yes, guns are used for one reason, and that reason is to kill or maim another human being. (Putting aside the guns that are used strictly for hunting, that is) But the cartoon doesn’t talk about all of the “unseen” effects that gun ownership has.

I live in West Texas, where the majority of the population owns some kind of firearm, and I imagine that a lot of them have a gun within three steps of them at any given point in time. Would-be crooks know this, and they decide against mugging somebody on the street corner. The simple fact that they might get lit up like a Christmas Tree keeps them from commiting some kind of crime. I don’t even own a gun, and yet I still get to benefit from the fact that everyone else around me does.

Not trying to start a fight, but do you really think that American society would be somehow better off if we had strict gun control laws? Or if guns were outlawed completely?

Yes, I think that.

(Edited: removed statistics not relevant at the moment)

Yeah cause every west Texas redneck needs a semi auto cause Dem Guns

Surprised NJ and NY are charting so low - in density and deaths; didn’t really imagine it’d get worse that that so that’s chilling.

We had 27 gun deaths in TO in 2015 and that’s a crisis - population: 2.8m. Less guns around means criminals can’t steal guns as easily, but the US is probably too far gone at this point. Melting down all those weapons and putting companies under is unfathomable given the recent election results

^(edit - directed at LTJ) OK. Let me ask you this–if the government said, “We changed our minds. We declare the 2nd amendment null and void. Every private citizen is required to turn in every firearm that they own. Beginning immediately, only military and law-enforcement personnel are allowed to carry firearms.”, do you think American society would be better or worse off?

Well, in that hypothetical that would probably lead to a civil war, as el_macca points out we’re likely too far gone for that to even be a consideration.

If you’re hypothetically asking if all guns magically disappeared from society would we be better off? Yes. I do think that. I think what you’re getting at is that guns act as a deterrent and that without households carrying them crime would explode. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s much conclusive data to either confirm or deny that. Obviously in states or countries with softer gun laws or more gun owners you are going to see higher homicide or suicide rates by gun. I just have a hard time buying that we’d see such high casualty rates using other means. Really hard to mow down a crowd of people with a pitchfork. If the consequences of that is a higher uptick in more petty crimes? I think I can live with that, honestly.

https://www.livescience.com/51446-guns-do-not-deter-crime.html

If anything will bring BS back it’s a gun debate. Also, relevant for the two others that watch Bojack…

Image result for bojack horseman thoughts and prayers

There would be an instant civil war.

fantastic episode. Thoughts and prayers of course. Ruined a perfectly good film that mall shooting!

Can’t we just agree that a man should be able to do anything, including pee in any receptacle in any room within the privacy of his own home?