50+ dead, 400+ injured in Vegas mass shooting

what about nukes. imagine if every country had nukes. safer place right?

I think we can all agree that if all guns magically disappeared, we would all be better off. But that cannot and will not ever happen. So that’s not what I’m asking.

I’m asking if you think that outlawing guns will solve our problems. Simple question.

ISIS claims responsibility for Las Vegas massacre really?

How is this a simple question? A large portion of this country is gun obsessed, the reaction to this would be very ugly, as some of us have already stated. I’m not sure I’ve even really seen this floated as a theory. I don’t know what broader point you’re trying to make here, honestly. Outlawing all guns is likely as impossible as them magically disappearing. Are you advocating the do nothing approach since we’re so far gone anyway?

Maybe we can look at examples of certain cities and states that take away people’s rights and see if it’s helped anything!

What is the purpose of a private citizen owning a full auto weapon?

Citizens, even in the states with the least restrictions can’t easily own full auto weapons. The ones that are available are made pre 1980 something and very expensive, like around $15-20k For an m16.

I should be able to own one if I feel like it.

Why do you think we are different from Australia?

Image result for simpsons meme king of england

Australia spent $500 million (Australian) to buy 1 million guns from citizens. The most recent estimate I’ve seen for US gun ownership is around 300 million. At the current exchange rate, that would equate to the government spending about $117 billion, or about $350 per person (Australia’s bill was about $25 per person).

Yes to both questions.

Question for you - do you want mass shootings like this to stop? Of course you do. I do too. I propose that we institute strict gun laws as seen in Australia and the UK as a way to prevent these things from happening. What methods would you propose to stop these massacres? (FYI, there was a mass shooting in a Dallas suburb at a Cowboys watch party a few weeks ago… there was the shooter at the Dallas protest last summer. My guess is that you’re not as safe as you think you are in West Texas.)

The cartoon I posted is on point. The fourth panel (lower left) is the key one. The NRA and its allies have won the battle, unless there’s a seismic shift. Greenie, people like you have to start agreeing with people like me about having stricter gun control laws for these things to stop. Until that change occurs, mass shootings will continue to happen and that’s the price that the rest of us just have to pay.

So, what will it take for you to change your mind?

I don’t agree with all of your stance but like the constructive approach and logical buildup of your position.

To be honest, I don’t know what kind of gun laws Australia or the UK has, and I don’t know what kind of effect they have had. And even if we did institue similar laws, we don’t know if the US citizenry will respond the same way Australia and the UK did.

Again, I don’t know. But I think that taking guns away from 100 million law-abiding citizens is not the correct proposal.

I disagree that stricter gun-control laws will cause mass shootings to stop. If anything, I think that gun control will make matters worse.

I know it’s a trite saying, only used by the ultra-right, but it’s very true. “If you outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns.”

Yes, most of these people who commit mass murder got their guns through legal means, but they could very easily get a gun through illegal means–especially given that there are so many guns (some legal, some illegal) floating around the US right now.

Of course I want mass shootings like this to stop. But I don’t think that taking my guns away makes me any safer.

Just give me my guns and religion

While I advocate for stricter gun laws, this guy was obviously a mentally ill lunatic who could have jumped in a truck and drove down the LV strip and killed just as many people. The bigger issue is how do we identify and help people that are about to commit these kinds of atrocities.

I’m all for stricter gun laws. Don’t think it’ll do a damn thing, but maybe it’ll shut some people up.

Oh, and mass shootings, while horrifying, are a drop in the bucket when it comes to gun violence. Where’s the outrage when a dozen people a night get killed Chicago? Wrong color?

False equivalency. The murders in Chicago are for the most part gang related, so I can prevent or minimize my chance of being murdered there by not participating in illegal activities. On the other hand, there’s nothing I can do to prevent someone from spraying 1000 rounds from the 30th floor of a hotel into a concert I’m attending, other than figuring out a way from preventing him from having that kind of firearm in the first place.

The same party who are in the pockets of the NRA and love to tout that it’s a “people problem” and not a gun problem just tried to pass a variety of healthcare legislation that would have removed mental health care access for tens of millions.

So basically you only care about gun violence to the degree that it potentially affects you.

Both major parties are in the pockets of the NRA.