Bonus Season

Who’s happy, who’s pissed, who’s leaving as soon as it hits their bank account?

I always wondered about that. Is it ok to resign right after announcement or you have to wait until it hits bank account? Anyone knows?

Hit then quit fools

Def let it hit the account.

prob depends on your workplace, clawback rules etc etc. my firm paid out prior to year end which is sweet

I would wait, but I’m less trusting than most people.

Funny story. I actually tried to quit once, and the CFO was like “don’t do that, wait till the secret bonus we haven’t announced yet hits, then quit.” Very courteous.

Isnt that worse given tax change?

I switched jobs late in the year so I don’t expect anything for me. We haven’t closed the books yet

eh im not 100% on how the tax changes will impact me so not sure - but in general a firm paying sooner rather than later is always good. Hate when firms slip later and later

It’s better for the company to pay you in 2017, as they would have deducted the cost at a higher tax rate.

If you earn less than $300k, it would probably have been better to have been paid in 2018, as your marginal tax rate would probably be lower.

definitely wait til its in your account and then some.

lolz. sail and bail.

Are we still talking about bonuses here?

yea thought we moved on to cryptos

300k married right? its the same for cali. you’re basically calculating until you reach the 10k state tax deduction right?

ohai, whats your view? Wait or not? Is there a legal precedent?

My biggest concern with bonus is that by IRS rules, it can be paid out all the way until march 31st, in order to be qualified as last year for company. By that time, you are not getting full year bonus in next place. This is just bad for mobility

definitely definitely definitely wait until it hits your account.

but anyway, your new place should be offering to cover it if it’s a decent offer.

Why? Isn’t announcement makes company obliged to pay it, sort of?