Bonus Season

None of big banks will offer it, at least in technology. Days of bonus buyouts by banks are over

so glad I work on the buyside. Last time for me they took my word for last years bonus, added 20% to it and paid it as soon as I signed the contract.

For the record, I told them the actual figure.

It depends on what’s written in your contract. most will either be silent on it or just refer to a discretionary bonus. Either way it’s not worth the risk IMO

lucky you :frowning:

I ran an analysis when the tax rule was released. Everyone’s circumstances are different, since they have different deductions. However, I think your taxes still go down as a single person, even in a high tax state, below some $300k ish value. If you’re Married Filing Jointly, your taxes are even more likely to go down. This does take into account the $10k cap on SALT.

wait ppl still get bonuses?

…walking to HR

Seems like pretty much everybody is getting bonuses this season. Definitely sticking around to collect. Exit plan still underway.

I thought only DB did not give bonuses to everyone. But anyway, a lot of banks this year are claiming that they’ll create higher dispersion of bonus values between high performing and lower performing employees. I hope they actually do this. Of course, there’s going to be a pretty high potential for butthurt, as every person thinks they are a high quality person even when they are not.

Do bonuses these days usually take the form of cash or another medium?

Hey, dirty, baby I got your money Don’t you worry, I said hey Baby I got your money Hey, dirty, baby I got your money Don’t you worry, I said hey Baby I got your money

Sing it, sing it girls! Just shake it right now! If dirty want his money I think y’all should give him his money That’s how I like girl

I was happy with my bonus at 110% of target until my wife got 130% of her even higher target and now I think my boss was holding out on me because we work for the same company.

Should have done it long time ago

You stay until it hits the account because they can pull all sort of textbook legal stuff on you if you resign before, and you will have no recourse. You can’t make them pay it and a legal battle for that bonus check is more likely going to cost more time and energy than its worth - suck it up and sit in the chair a few more days. At the last firm I heard a guy resigned right after the bonuses were paid out and he got chewed out in the CEO’s office and had his bonus clawed back. As part and parcel of the business as it is, leaving after cashing a bonus cheque always leaves a bitter taste in the employer’s mouth. That’s bonus dollars they could have allocated to people who are now “loyal” to the team.

i felt a bonus was a reward for last year’s work. in any case, companies should do quarterly bonuses anyways. its absolutely retarded to do this annual shit.

^It’s annoying from an employee perspective but annual bonuses work in the companies favour. There is really no good time to leave during the year without potentially taking some sort of hit.

Quarterly bonuses for finance workers would not be a good idea, as this would create incentive for extreme short term risk taking. Even yearly evaluations are too short, in my opinion.

That is fine, but policy should be that bonus earned, is bonus earned. There might be clawback provisions, but most people won’t be affected anyway. Bonus determination should be done max by Jan 15th, and after that you should be free to leave. Currently company keeps deferring, or postponing payouts in order to retain employees. That is nonsense

It differs even within my own firm. Almost everyone gets some sort of cash bonus based on company performance. I get cash and stock.

It is, but what are you going to do about it? What can anyone do about it? It’s discretionary.